Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 07:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

King Crab is one of my favorites. I think most stores here don't carry it because it's too expensive. I would be eating it all the time if it cost less!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It seems king crab is non-existent at American supermarkets even at high end markets all I see is frozen king crab legs and no fresh ones.
King-crab is not part of the American diet and never was, so there's little call for it at grocery stores.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
King-crab is not part of the American diet and never was, so there's little call for it at grocery stores.
Which is kinda of ironic that the US reality show Deadliest Catch is all about catching King Crabs.

The only popular place that serves king crab is Joe's Crab Shack, franchise seafood place.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:45 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
doesn't sell well in maine....but maine is huge on lobsters....

also the crab legs are more expensive than lobsters

i use to go lobster-fishing years ago and always have a pot going and we'd cook many crabs and dip in butter.....not as good as lobster but close

Old 03-10-2018, 07:17 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
I've no idea where in America you live or what grocery stores you frequent, but virtually every grocery store I've seen (regardless of the state) that has a full service fish department has snow crab and, usually king crab. Sometimes they are in the frozen section next to the bags of frozen shrimp.

Personally, I think the only reason Americans don't eat more king crab is the same reason we don't eat more lobster or dry aged beef: THE SKYHIGH PRICE.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:11 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I see them in H-Market quite often, not this size, though:
Spoiler

Interesting article here:
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=544

Last edited by elnina; 03-10-2018 at 08:23 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 09:40 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

/ Even if it doesn't make me sick, it's apparently neigh impossible to prepare and keep it from turning to rubber. /

What works for me, especially if it has been previously frozen, is to prepare the entire recipe and then add the shellfish at the last minute - just enough to cook/warm it up. Then I think even your horse will love it.

We live in MN and I've noticed the price has really gone up. Don't even see King crab on the menu at our humble Red Lobster here anymore.

I didn't buy it at Christmas this year. It was just too high for frozen. But it was selling nigh like hotcakes.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Whole live crab anywhere is pretty sparse. Crabs don't have a long life once they're plucked form the ocean. If you've ever watched Deadliest Catch, you'd see that they have a time limit how long they will live in the tank of a ship. I've seen whole tanks full of dead king crab because they were out to sea too long. The crabs are off loaded to a processor who immediately processes them and freezes them. No one wants to eat expired crab.....very bad things happen to you!

Yes, king crab is expensive. It's expensive to harvest. They're not local to anyone except Alaska. VERY expensive to move things from Alaska to the mainland. Considering what goes into harvesting, processing, transporting king crab, Id' say $30 is a pound is a bargain!

In many areas, they're not available year round. Where I live, they'll have them at Wegmans right after the harvest for a few weeks. Then they're gone until next year.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:51 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Demand has certainly increased since Deadliest Catch hit the airwaves over a decade ago! You CAN find them in many supermarkets, but they aren't something that's stocked year round. We have them for a few weeks until the next harvest.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:21 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
So Alaskans are not Americans?

We eat King Crab wherever we see it on the menu.

Yes, my local Publix, Fresh Foods, and Whole Market carry King Crab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink