Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:39 PM

14,397 posts, read 11,904,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
East coast blue claw crabs are trapped from late spring and until late summer.
In winter the blue claw crabs hibernate in the mud. Some crabbers dredge them up but most blue claws are taken in summer.
Sorry I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about Pacific crab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 PM

24,528 posts, read 18,074,636 times
I live in a lobster zip code. I’ll happily eat Maryland soft shell crab if I’m in DC and Dungeness crabmeat is great when I’m on the west coast. Crab is totally off my radar screen locally. Way too much work for the amount of crabmeat. Since I’m next to a major fishing port, live king crab that had an airplane ticket is not a thing. I’m not going to buy frozen king crab legs when I have such good access to fresh local seafood.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:34 PM

19,389 posts, read 27,665,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I live in a lobster zip code. I’ll happily eat Maryland soft shell crab if I’m in DC and Dungeness crabmeat is great when I’m on the west coast. Crab is totally off my radar screen locally. Way too much work for the amount of crabmeat. Since I’m next to a major fishing port, live king crab that had an airplane ticket is not a thing. I’m not going to buy frozen king crab legs when I have such good access to fresh local seafood.
Braggart.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,082,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Sorry I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about Pacific crab.
I didn't realize you were only referring to pacific crab since you posted, "all crab is harvested in winter". Atlantic crabs may be off your radar just as Pacific crabs are off mine.

Last edited by 5-all; 03-10-2018 at 11:46 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 05:12 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,346,670 times
haven't read the entire thread but we do get King Crab here, even in our grocery stores. of course they are frozen, cause of where we are located, but we certainly do get them. Now, do I want to pay the price?Nope, so for us it is usually just plain ole claws and legs: certainly not King either.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:55 AM

24,528 posts, read 18,074,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Braggart.
Yeah, but you wouldn’t believe the pathetic produce we get in New England when local sources aren’t available. Same issue as seafood in other parts of the country. Anything fresh that needs 3 days in a truck is going to be lousy and it’s expensive to put it on an airplane. Tomatoes are inedible until July other than the genetically engineered grape and cherry tomatoes. Picked green. Zero flavor.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 AM

16,151 posts, read 10,295,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Can't say that I've ever bought any kind of crab as a whole/alive for home cooking. I'm simply not a very big fan of shellfish, and don't know anyone who says they are.
I'm with the others who addressed this post. Only thing I can think of is you are in the middle of the country and don't have the exposure to shel fish those near the coast have. Now granted I live in Maryland and blue crabs are to us what BBQ is to Memphis. But shellfish are huge anywhere near both coasts.

As for the OP I have never seen live king crabs here but that would make sense, we are thousands of miles from where they are harvested. When we were in Alaska I was hoping there would be these guys in trucks selling king crabs by the side of the road like they do here with blue crabs. Sadly I learned they can make more money shipping them to Seattle and selling them wholesale.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:06 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,538,366 times
Growing up out on the Alaska Peninsula we had all the king crab we wanted. For free. I just can't bring myself to pay $30 a pound or more for frozen.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:41 AM

11,969 posts, read 8,293,189 times
I lived in WA state for two years and was introduced to Dungeness crab while there. Later when we moved back to MN and had teen-aged children I wanted to share the experience with them and ordered seven crabs through my local butcher.

It was a sad and expensive lesson to learn that those succulent little creatures are best enjoyed close to their source. Not having fresh shellfish is one of the trade-offs of living inland.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:53 AM

15,202 posts, read 10,216,086 times
I love crab but for me, it's too much effort for too little payback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink