U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:39 AM

11,818 posts, read 7,695,291 times

Advertisements

It seems king crab is non-existent at American supermarkets even at high end markets all I see is frozen king crab legs and no fresh ones.

Over by me there are 3-4 H-Marts that are Korean Supermarket. They always have live King Crabs, for $30/lb it does seem expensive but it's actually not that bad when you compare the amount of meat vs blue crabs that goes for about $12-15/lb and it's comparing a sunflower seed to a walnut.

I always find that soft shell blue crabs is the way to eat and it's less messy and more enjoyable. Eating king crab legs and claws are even more enjoyable the flavor is amazing compare to snow and dungeness crabs.

While I like lobster too but you can't compare king crabs to lobsters, the flavor profile of king crab is just richer and sophisticated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 12:13 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,930,128 times
I see frozen King Crab at supermarkets all the time. Usually around $20 lb. The wholesale clubs like Sams and Costco will almost always have them as well.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:35 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,497,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I see frozen King Crab at supermarkets all the time. Usually around $20 lb. The wholesale clubs like Sams and Costco will almost always have them as well.
That's the king crab legs. I believe OP is talking about the entire crab.

I live near an H-Mart as well. They regularly carry whole, live lobster (during their opening week last year, they were only $5.99 per pound!!!!). They often have whole dungeness crab. I've never seen a whole king crab in that place. In fact, the only place I've ever seen one is in Alaska.

We get soft shell crabs seasonally at many of the fish markets around here.

Cost for king crab legs, depending on the size, ranges $15-$22/lb. Usually at the top end. We get them for special occasions (Christmas Eve).

Old 03-09-2018, 12:47 PM

4,293 posts, read 6,395,292 times
Can't say that I've ever bought any kind of crab as a whole/alive for home cooking. I'm simply not a very big fan of shellfish, and don't know anyone who says they are.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:48 PM

33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times
I've been to a few all you can eat crab restaurants and its a chore breaking into those legs to get at the meat, usually my arms get tired of the work out before i ever get satiated on the crab meat . actually my favorite place has all you can eat Snow Crabs on Tuesday nights may not be king crab but just as tough to work on . if in St Pete and you like seafood heres the place =
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f71a3...9f3d9a456b.pdf

Last edited by jambo101; 03-09-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 03:29 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,497,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've been to a few all you can eat crab restaurants and its a chore breaking into those legs to get at the meat, usually my arms get tired of the work out before i ever get satiated on the crab meat . actually my favorite place has all you can eat Snow Crabs on Tuesday nights may not be king crab but just as tough to work on . if in St Pete and you like seafood heres the place =
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f71a3...9f3d9a456b.pdf
I agree - we don't bother with snow crab anymore regardless of the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Can't say that I've ever bought any kind of crab as a whole/alive for home cooking. I'm simply not a very big fan of shellfish, and don't know anyone who says they are.
We must travel in different crowds. I don't know anyone who doesn't like shellfish, except those who are allergic. However, I know several people who aren't fans of regular fish. And a few that don't like mussels or escargot (I always tell them they just haven't had them prepared properly.)

Old 03-09-2018, 05:32 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
The "legs" are the only good part, with lots of meat...that's why only the legs are sold! King crab is a TOUGH shell to crack....snow crabs are much easier. Not much meat in the body.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:36 PM

2,384 posts, read 640,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Hi Brian, my name is Tim. I love shellfish! Now you someone who loves shellfish!

Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 PM

4,293 posts, read 6,395,292 times
I wish it were that easy.... :/

My main problem is that I've had well prepared shellfish maybe 3~4 times in life. And I've been served stuff that made me vomit Well more than 3~4 times, probably closer to 10~12 times. Even if it doesn't make me sick, it's apparently neigh impossible to prepare and keep it from turning to rubber.

If all sh shellfish were as good as the best I've had, I'd love it.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:50 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
I cannot stand crabs, so no for me. No shellfish at all please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink