U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:35 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,714,714 times

Advertisements

As I've gotten older and more financially comfortable and remained single, there are certain things I'm willing to spend money on to save time and mess. Two areas in particular come to mind - I'll buy my butternut squash and broccoli already cut up and I'll buy my bacon "precooked."

With the bacon especially, I realized the extra expense for the precooked bacon saved a lot of mess and time spent cleaning up grease spatter and my electric skillet. I like my bacon crisp, so I just stick it in the microwave for 1:15 minutes. I have two pieces of it at most in a day in my morning breakfast burrito.

With the squash, I just like having fingers and not dealing with the cleanup, but the broccoli, it's more of a waste thing - I don't do anything with the broccoli stems, so why should I keep them? The dogs will munch on them, but they fill up on 'em pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 07:46 PM

10,706 posts, read 1,948,469 times
I buy a few pre-cut vegetables too...okra (sliced), spiral vegetables, sometimes asparagus (cleaned and lower stalk removed).....hard squashes too. Occasionally pre cut fruit, like watermelon, as I'm like you, too much waste to deal with...

Rotiss. chicken, or hot, prepared Chinese food they have at the groc store.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:39 PM

35,062 posts, read 37,693,162 times
I've been known to purchase some vegetables pre-chopped, but not when the markup is significant.

I almost never make pastry pie crust; 99% of the time, buy the refrigerated kind you unroll.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:45 AM

32,072 posts, read 49,562,433 times
I don't buy any pre-cut vegetables or fruit, but I would buy frozen pizza dough (ball), ground meat, bagged lettuce or minced garlic. Those are probably the only things I buy that are somehow "prepared" to save time.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 AM

10,635 posts, read 17,930,826 times
I buy garlic in the jar. Sometimes I buy frozen vegetables. That's really it, though. I make more food from scratch than I ever used to. I don't buy pre-cut fresh fruit or veggies because I worry about contamination.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:50 AM

16,784 posts, read 21,449,250 times
i buy crab meat in one pound containers..... i stopped catching them years ago...

and sometimes i will buy steak i haven't butchered myself......

and on very rare occasions i will buy sausage ...i haven't made

Old 03-13-2018, 05:29 AM

8,662 posts, read 7,867,412 times
I no longer grind my coffee beans. I don't know if it's age, or just what, but I don't think I can tell the difference any longer. Plus, I hate the mess. Two friends my age report the same thing happening in their lives.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 AM

7,622 posts, read 3,236,817 times
Since it's just me these days I will sometimes buy precut vegetables and definitely jarred garlic. Most of the time I have a protein and a vegetable or salad for dinner. Last night I made chicken with yellow rice and spinach and I made enough so I don't have to cook at all for the next two nights. I bought the GreenWise chicken breasts from Publix and cut it up myself. I would have to be pretty desperate to eat canned chicken or salmon. Yuck.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:12 AM

8,662 posts, read 7,867,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would buy minced garlic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I buy garlic in the jar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
and definitely jarred garlic
One of the things I cannot stand in this world is precut garlic in a jar. Just the smell is enough to send me running for the other room with a sink. But I like the easier, softer way as much as anyone else, so I sprinkle certain things (roasted vegetables [esp. potatoes], lentils, chili) with Penzey's Granulated Garlic Powder. It's not the same taste as I get when I chop fresh garlic, which I still do. It's its own very enjoyable flavor. Other brands may work as well, but I'm not certain, as I never used to like the taste of plain garlic powder.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:28 AM

12,446 posts, read 11,714,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
One of the things I cannot stand in this world is precut garlic in a jar. Just the smell is enough to send me running for the other room with a sink. But I like the easier, softer way as much as anyone else, so I sprinkle certain things (roasted vegetables [esp. potatoes], lentils, chili) with Penzey's Granulated Garlic Powder. It's not the same taste as I get when I chop fresh garlic, which I still do. It's its own very enjoyable flavor. Other brands may work as well, but I'm not certain, as I never used to like the taste of plain garlic powder.
I agree on the jarred garlic. I used the kind that comes in a refrigerated tube for a whiel, but the price irked me. I still buy things like cilantro and Italian herbs in a tube in winter - it keeps longer than actual fresh herbs but isn't pickled like the jarred garlic. When it's not garlic, I find those tubes to be more cost effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink