Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:33 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times

Advertisements

We're making a serious attempt to eat more fish. Getting fresh fish means two trios to the grocery store for me, and I'm rarely happy with the prices. Typically, we eat salmon, catfish, tilapia, whole trout and ahi tuna.

Frozen fish would be really, really advantageous - no trip to the grocery and it's better priced. But I have never found frozen fish fillets that taste remotely good - it's either tasteless or fishy tasting.

Excluding shrimp and other shellfish, does any frozen fish taste GOOD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Orange Roughy is fabulous baked with butter and lemon. Cod is very good, as is grouper.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 AM

Not surprisingly, I can't rep you AGAIN, DirtGringer. But I trust your judgement and will try these - except MAYBE the cod. We're had it fresh a couple of times and weren't enamoured (save when it was used for fish and chips in the UK).

Old 02-27-2018, 11:53 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We're making a serious attempt to eat more fish. Getting fresh fish means two trios to the grocery store for me, and I'm rarely happy with the prices. Typically, we eat salmon, catfish, tilapia, whole trout and ahi tuna.

Frozen fish would be really, really advantageous - no trip to the grocery and it's better priced. But I have never found frozen fish fillets that taste remotely good - it's either tasteless or fishy tasting.

Excluding shrimp and other shellfish, does any frozen fish taste GOOD?
Really? I buy frozen wild-caught salmon, and I think it's far better than the farm-raised crap. I've also gotten good frozen cod--again, sticking with the wild-caught.

I don't like either catfish or tilapia. I think catfish is going to have that fishy taste no matter how it comes, and tilapia just tastes like something that's going bad to me.

I bought some individually-wrapped pieces of frozen fish a couple of weeks ago. Salmon, Tuna, and Swordfish, and they were all good. Again, I don't buy the farmed fish. It's not the same nutritionally because it has less of the Omega-3 and more Omega-6 because of what they feed it, and I don't think it tastes right, either.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:58 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Orange Roughy is fabulous baked with butter and lemon. Cod is very good, as is grouper.
I love grouper, but it's hard to find. I used to have it when I went to Florida.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:05 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
I like the Trident Brand at Costco, they do an excellent beer battered cod, which I use for fish & chips. They also have a frozen tillapia, but I can't comment on it, as DH won;t eat tilapia. They also make really great fish sticks, which are made from small filets of whole pollack, not minced fish. They make great fish tacos, & I will admit to loving fish sticks lol I have yet to try the other types.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I like the Trident Brand at Costco, they do an excellent beer battered cod, which I use for fish & chips. They also have a frozen tillapia, but I can't comment on it, as DH won;t eat tilapia. They also make really great fish sticks, which are made from small filets of whole pollack, not minced fish. They make great fish tacos, & I will admit to loving fish sticks lol I have yet to try the other types.
I should have been clearer; we're trying to eat more fish because of the calories, not the health benefitsn

Accordingly, fried is off the table (bad pun - sorry ) and breaded is very limited.

We tried the costco tilapia tenders (yeah, i think they called them that) several years ago and found them mushy in texture. Ive never met a fish stick i ever liked.

On a high note, i bought some prepackaged fresh, wild caught salmon at lidl the other day. Cryovact. Really, really good.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? I buy frozen wild-caught salmon, and I think it's far better than the farm-raised crap. I've also gotten good frozen cod--again, sticking with the wild-caught.

I don't like either catfish or tilapia. I think catfish is going to have that fishy taste no matter how it comes, and tilapia just tastes like something that's going bad to me.

I bought some individually-wrapped pieces of frozen fish a couple of weeks ago. Salmon, Tuna, and Swordfish, and they were all good. Again, I don't buy the farmed fish. It's not the same nutritionally because it has less of the Omega-3 and more Omega-6 because of what they feed it, and I don't think it tastes right, either.
Years ago my neighborhood Pathmark had a woman doing cooking demos. She got a hold of catfish nuggets. It was really good, not fishy at all. If I remember correctly, she used lemon juice, then onion powder, garlic powder, then some dillweed.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:21 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
OK, I use the air fryer so the calories are not too bad, & if I cook unbreaded fish it has to have a sauce or coating of some kind to make it palatable to me, so I guess I use up any calorie savings lol

Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Another vote for Costco's Trident brand. The fish stick are excellent and quick to prepare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink