Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 08:43 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
My nearby Whole Foods already has 'California strawberries' in the produce section. How is that possible in March?
I had to return a quart of strawberries to Whole Foods two weeks ago. Red rocks. I didn't notice where they were from, but they were Driscoll's brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 08:55 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Here in NWA the markets have a choice, they can hang the sign that does state they are local, which means no more than 50 miles from the farmers market I think or they can just set up a booth. When I learn or suspect the vendors are not growing their own produce I do not buy from them. Most, because we are so rural do grown their own.
We're going through that debate here.

Last summer, there were apparently a lot of vendors having stuff hauled or shipped in from GA/FL and marketing it as "local." The farmer's market now has a policy that if vendors have more than a certain %age of food raised outside of (I think) a 50 mi. radius, it has to be designated as "not local."

Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We're going through that debate here.

Last summer, there were apparently a lot of vendors having stuff hauled or shipped in from GA/FL and marketing it as "local." The farmer's market now has a policy that if vendors have more than a certain %age of food raised outside of (I think) a 50 mi. radius, it has to be designated as "not local."
This reminds me of a couple years ago. We were in Aldis, it was a Thursday and Mangos were on sale for almost nothing. A little lady checking out in front of us had 2 boxes of them. The checker asked her what she was going to do with all those Mangos? Her answer was; oh we are making a big fruit salad. WE all just looked at each other. We had a pretty good idea we could go to one of the farmers markets and see the Mangos the next day and over the weekend. The same little lady was in Aldi's the following week buying Cantaloupes that were on sale, and yes, buying a couple of boxes of them.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This surprises me. Are your farmer's markets not certified? I don't know about where Mikala lives, but in California the certified farmer's market vendors are required to prove that they themselves grew the produce they are selling, in a stated location within the state of California. You can't ship produce in from other states or buy it at Costco and resell at the farmer's market!
I have no idea. I do know the one my friend went on about was loaded with garlic from China. I saw the boxes when she took me. And a number of vendors got really ticked when I started reading the boxes out loud of other items. Florida citrus. That sort of thing.

Certainly not every stall. But there was enough that the market did get itself in hot water at one point. And it was years ago.

I just checked, and that Farmers Market is certified. So, hopefully they have stopped the nonsense.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:24 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post

...... Many places are putting up laws that prohibit residents from growing edible gardens on their homestead without a license. Talk about the USA becoming more and more communist by the day.

Nonsense. In communist countries people are encouraged to grow their own gardens.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:02 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I work in a small town in northeast TN of about 50,000. We have Walmart, Aldi, a regional grocery chain, and a dumpy Kroger. Prices are much higher. Selection is lower. Quality is poor. I like to keep frozen asparagus around. I can't find that exotic item at most of my local stores. I like to grate fresh horseradish into mashed potatoes. Most people around here don't even know what a horseradish root is. Only Publix carries jarred horseradish. I like "butter lettuce" in salads. You can't find that here. Hell, only two grocery stores in this entire city even have a salad bar! Meanwhile, the supermarkets are stocked with plenty of sweets, chips, sugary sodas, and other essentially nonnutritive items. Our farmers markets, particularly local meats, are also lacking. It's difficult to eat healthy here, and the more rural you go, the worse and less healthy the selection generally gets.
I'm a bit surprised. Aren't rural areas the place where fresh food comes from? So why would rural areas have such scarce options of fresh, healthy food, and instead rely on packaged foods brought in from urban factories? What's happening to the food being grown? Something doesn't add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Nonsense. In communist countries people are encouraged to grow their own gardens.
I can confirm from a third-hand account. My colleague, born and raised in Russia (USSR at the time), told me that his family had a small plot of farmland. There were almost no laws restricting land use. They could grow anything they wanted, raise any animals they had room for, fish in the local river, and gather berries and mushrooms in surrounding forests. Hunting, on the other hand, was very limited.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I'm from Jersey, too, and my aunt is justifiably proud of the tomatoes from South Jersey. For some reason, they never made thier way to our table at home, though. We had those horrible, tasteless pale tomatoes in the cardboard and cellophane boxes.
I only buy cherry tomatoes at the grocer. IMO they continue to have decent flavor whatever the season, although it is not consistent.

I long for the tomatoes of late summer. But, even then, it is hard to find a truly flavorful, ripe tomato. Backyard tomatoes are best. Truck farm tomatoes are often a distant second best. Tomatoes at the grocer are a waste of money, in my experience.

And I honestly dislike the newer strains of sweet corn. Even when turning starchy, the flavor stays sweet. But, to me, the flavor of a fresh ear tastes fake. But even then, it is better than starchy flavorless corn you used to find at the grocer.

We buy a lot of produce at our local farmers’ market when we can. I like buying what is in season. I could easily pig out on fresh peaches! And fresh strawberries.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:33 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
+1. I don’t think people from more temperate climates understand this luxury quite the way people from far up north do. Growing up in Vermont, finding a piece of citrus fruit in winter was a huge deal; I remember splitting one with my brothers, because the damn thing cost $3.00. Now, I can walk into the grocery store and buy a whole damn bag of oranges, anytime I want. And, quite frankly, I don’t care if they were grown in a different galaxy.

But the whole point of the matter is that produce that was picked before it was ripe is deficient in nutrients that it could have if grown locally, and allowed to mature on the plant. Plus stored produce loses nutrient value as it sits in warehouses. Yes you are able to get it at the store, but at what cost. Taste is just part of it. Not to mention all the artificial circus tricks they have to do to said produce to make it somewhat presentable. As an example here is how apples are treated, and what it does to them. Then think about how all our other produce is treated in a similar manner.

https://www.foodrenegade.com/your-apples-year-old/

----------------------------------

Old 03-22-2018, 01:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, I've seen Costco containers under the produce stands at the "local" farmer's markets before.
If they are reselling Costco produce. It is not a farmer's market, it is a swapmeet.

The farmer's markets I am familiar with in NM and NY have rules about who can sell and what can be sold in order to maintain the integrity and mission of the markets.

As far as California produce being "great", California has an awful lot of "great" produce that is sold in California, but commercial scale agribusiness being what it is, having the word 'California' on your box of strawberries is no guarantee of freshness, ripeness, or any other measure of quality if you are buying it in a Walmart in Maine in January.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:44 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I only buy cherry tomatoes at the grocer. IMO they continue to have decent flavor whatever the season, although it is not consistent.

I long for the tomatoes of late summer. But, even then, it is hard to find a truly flavorful, ripe tomato. Backyard tomatoes are best. Truck farm tomatoes are often a distant second best. Tomatoes at the grocer are a waste of money, in my experience.

And I honestly dislike the newer strains of sweet corn. Even when turning starchy, the flavor stays sweet. But, to me, the flavor of a fresh ear tastes fake. But even then, it is better than starchy flavorless corn you used to find at the grocer.

We buy a lot of produce at our local farmers’ market when we can. I like buying what is in season. I could easily pig out on fresh peaches! And fresh strawberries.
Agreed 100%. I don't buy any vegetables from the supermarket now unless I get taken in by a large basket of strawberries, to my annoyance.

I've hated vegetables from the time I was a child and when I had my own garden, I finally found out why. I grew strawberries, corn, peas, celery, and cherry tomatoes. I never knew food could taste so good! I even grew a couple of watermelons one year. Folks, if you haven't had a homegrown watermelon, you don't know what you're missing. I have yet to taste anything in a supermarket that even comes close to it.

The strawberries and cherry tomatoes were the best I've ever tasted. The corn was delicious, especially as I had planted two different varieties and unintentionally ended up with a bi-color corn.

After that, eating store bought veggies was like chewing cardboard.

We have a Farmer's Market here where I live, but very little variety in food. Only one vendor sells more than just carrots and whatnot. I get peaches and blueberries from him and they're to die for. I gave some blueberries to a friend who had never had fresh grown blueberries before and she said it was like eating a completely different fruit.

However, we have also had people buying store bought produce to sell at the Framer's Market. I made the mistake of buying cherry tomatoes from a couple and one bite told me they were store produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink