Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:49 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Personally, I'd try a splash of a good dry red wine
Yes, or white....depending on recipe. If I use butter to saute mushrooms, then add a tablespoon or so of crm of mushroom soup, I always add some dry white wine...very tasty in just a couple of minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 11:56 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
The food industry has been compromising for decades now, resorting to tactics that increase profits at the loss of quality and nutrition. The toying and tampering will continue unless people speak out in large numbers and/or shift to completely different products more outside the industrial realm. Beware of the huge monolithic food corporations, who are nearly always the worst offenders.

Do research. All food is not created equally. Read Pollan's book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" or one similar. Get educated as to what you're actually sticking in your body.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:34 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,434,961 times
Campbell's soups I buy:

Tomato Bisque
Cream of Shrimp (I add a tin of tiny shrimp)
Cream of Mushroom (for tuna noodle casserole)

Old 04-02-2018, 03:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
...Get educated as to what you're actually sticking in your body.
I try not to stick anything in my body.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:41 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I haven't bought more than two cans of Campbells' for decades. The only exception is I use mushroom as a base and it's often the only brand available. Their soup base is different today, but like Kraft products, whose sales go UP in a bad economy, CS is directed to the bottom of the buyer food chain. So it's no surprise.

Take a trip to Europe, especially Holland, and your taste buds will awaken from a decades long sleeep. When you eat that processed American crap for years your brain begins to think it's "normal" and "food". It's not.
Holland? You're serious? How about Istanbul?

Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I make Campbell's Cream of Mushroom and Tomato with whole milk only; never water. Maybe I should try sour cream to cut the sweetness?
Wow, I like the sour cream idea, never thought of that - I can imagine that it would cut down on the sweetness due to the tanginess of the sour cream and plus you get that nice texture, too without getting the full fat content from using heavy cream.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Used to eat it a lot particularly their vegetable soup but then my kidneys started to fail and my nephrologist told me to cut out salt,reading the nutritional info on a can of Campbell soup was eye opening as far as salt content was concerned.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:31 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Wow, I like the sour cream idea, never thought of that - I can imagine that it would cut down on the sweetness due to the tanginess of the sour cream and plus you get that nice texture, too without getting the full fat content from using heavy cream.
I'll try it and report back!

Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I try not to stick anything in my body.
can't rep you until I spread it around.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I haven't bought more than two cans of Campbells' for decades. The only exception is I use mushroom as a base and it's often the only brand available. Their soup base is different today, but like Kraft products, whose sales go UP in a bad economy, CS is directed to the bottom of the buyer food chain. So it's no surprise.

Take a trip to Europe, especially Holland, and your taste buds will awaken from a decades long sleeep. When you eat that processed American crap for years your brain begins to think it's "normal" and "food". It's not.
maybe it isn't just the American taste buds that have been trained to think processed foods are normal, maybe it is other countries as well. Not to mention not all of depend on processed foods. Do we use them for convenience from time to time? Of course, just like people throughout the world, do we depend on them for our food source all the time? NOPE. Many of us, especially on this board cook 75% of the time from scratch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink