Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:57 PM

588 posts, read 462,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Right on, TMKSarah,...well ALMOST Right..
the day the Gub'mint money goes out is also known as 'Mothers Day'

Only now there are no more paper checks nor Food Stamps/coupons..the 'clients/consumers/customers' are issued EBT cards to access their benefits from a bank.

This was supposed to cut down on Welfare Fraud...but it doesn't.
Thank you Mr. Magoo,

Friend that you are.

I say everyone knows something I do not. Thanks for the inside info.

I'll still shop on Tuesdays. Can't beat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Good luck with that. Were the lobsters imported to Alaska first?

You sorta give the impression you don't know much about the "world of food in the US"
OK GRINDER

Teach me.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:20 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
OK GRINDER

Teach me.
You seem to be having some technical difficulties. I didn't make the post to which you refer.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:03 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
Quote:
Thank you Mr. Magoo,

Friend that you are.

I say everyone knows something I do not. Thanks for the inside info.

I'll still shop on Tuesdays. Can't beat it.
jis' doin' my job, little sistah, ...jis' doin' my job.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:39 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
OK sweetness,

First lesson.

The stores can put out anything they want at any price they want and if the people buy it. Why would I, as an owner of said food store put the price down.

I have it you pay.

Now, if the customer says no and walks away. That price is going to come down. Big time. Problem is too many people pay retail. So the price stays up. I watch these people every time I go into the store. Pathetic.

It is called supply and demand.

The operative is demand. The grocery may have a lot of supply AKA food in so many forms, but if people don't buy it. There is no demand.

So the price goes down.

Never ever pay before a holiday.
Never pay for something you really want if the price is ridiculous. If you can pay that then you need to go to the gourmet fly in lobster from Alaska. Same price. Or butcher kill place,

Oh one last thng....Don't buy at the middle or end of the month....that is when the government checks for welfare come out and they all shop then. the prices go up just because of that. The HELP told me that.

Welcome to the world of food in the US.

learn to cook!

love love
never pay before a holiday????? because demand goes up....so will price???? maybe that works for flowers on valentines day but the grocery business is a different world....

thanksgiving..... overwhelmingly the turkey is the center of the plate.... so it is in demand...so price should go up????

nope in the northeast the stores sell them below cost..... if the frozen turkey cost is 1.00- 1.19 to most all wholesalers in the country...... you would think they would sell at 1.29-1.59 to 1.99lb but noooooo the stores will sell them for .47lb wayyyyy below cost...
they do this with prime rib at christmas.....and also easter hams (.57lb hams for easter...below cost) we all know they do this to get feet thru the door..
and yes the stores do take a loss....when i was meat manager in a supermarket we lost 22,000 selling turkeys for .39lb before thanksgiving and every year for 27 years the chain stores have sold below cost..

so yes,,,,,sometimes before a holiday is the best time to buy meat products..

as far as the middle and end of the month....... the ads get heated up on foodstamp week because thats the one week when most of the shoppers shop...... so the stores are getting the biggest piece of the pie when its there....

but still....shop the front page specials.... loss leaders every week of the month,,

Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
never pay before a holiday????? because demand goes up....so will price???? maybe that works for flowers on valentines day but the grocery business is a different world....

thanksgiving..... overwhelmingly the turkey is the center of the plate.... so it is in demand...so price should go up????

nope in the northeast the stores sell them below cost..... if the frozen turkey cost is 1.00- 1.19 to most all wholesalers in the country...... you would think they would sell at 1.29-1.59 to 1.99lb but noooooo the stores will sell them for .47lb wayyyyy below cost...
they do this with prime rib at christmas.....and also easter hams (.57lb hams for easter...below cost) we all know they do this to get feet thru the door..
and yes the stores do take a loss....when i was meat manager in a supermarket we lost 22,000 selling turkeys for .39lb before thanksgiving and every year for 27 years the chain stores have sold below cost..

so yes,,,,,sometimes before a holiday is the best time to buy meat products..

as far as the middle and end of the month....... the ads get heated up on foodstamp week because thats the one week when most of the shoppers shop...... so the stores are getting the biggest piece of the pie when its there....

but still....shop the front page specials.... loss leaders every week of the month,,
Someone will always know something I do not.

Thank you brokerman,

I do not see the kind of prices you refer in Indianapolis, before the holiday, however, is true the price goes down after the holiday. I have never seen a frozen turkey at .47 a pd at least in the last 10 years. Hams the same. At least around here. Everywhere is different. I'll come and shop at your place!

Old 04-06-2018, 12:23 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Someone will always know something I do not.

Thank you brokerman,

I do not see the kind of prices you refer in Indianapolis, before the holiday, however, is true the price goes down after the holiday. I have never seen a frozen turkey at .47 a pd at least in the last 10 years. Hams the same. At least around here. Everywhere is different. I'll come and shop at your place!

one chain supermarket started to sell turkeys below cost in 1992 .39lb at thanksgiving ...and its been chaos ever since....in the northeast...... its great for the customers ..

Old 04-07-2018, 06:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
We have always found the cost of the holiday meats are always at their lowest the week before and after a holiday. They are the product that gets us into the store. The same with some of the traditional canned goods. While we are buying that ham, we will wander off to the produce or dairy section and over pay for lettuce, oranges, whatever. We will pick up things we do not really need and not think twice about buying something we know is over priced but we want for that special meal.

TMKSarah: I disagree about never buying something where the price is ridiculous. Most of the time you are right,but there are occasions when we really want that Lobster tail for a special meal or we don't have time to bake, so the carrot cake, we know is over priced is still the answer. I am saying this and I stretch my shopping $$ as far as almost anyone while still eating very well. There are just times when we all have to do something special for our families, friends or self.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Sometimes people get nostalgic for the food they ate as kid..it was once 'poor peoples' food.. but it suddenly becomes hip and desirable.

Osso bucco ( veal Shank) used to be what was left of veal at the village market after the rich took all the prime cuts..
Now it is stupid expensive..same with oxtail..

Veal, during the Depression, was cheap..Chicken was not, in some cookbooks of the time, Veal was prepared to try to taste like chicken.. the veal was called 'City Chicken'
That is true. When Herbert Hoover said there would be a "chicken in every pot", he was telling people they were going to be eating well. Then the Depression hit, and as the the people in the Hooverville shacks sing in the musical, Annie, "But Mr. Hoover you forgot, not only don't we have the chicken, we ain't got the pot".

Old 04-07-2018, 10:03 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is true. When Herbert Hoover said there would be a "chicken in every pot", he was telling people they were going to be eating well. Then the Depression hit, and as the the people in the Hooverville shacks sing in the musical, Annie, "But Mr. Hoover you forgot, not only don't we have the chicken, we ain't got the pot".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink