Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:17 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
1. Saint Andre (triple crème)
2. Caprice des Dieux
3. Le Rustique (Camembert; not the Brie)

How do I use them? The only way -- on a baguette.
Those are my 6 favorite cheeses. They all deserve a second mention.

I'll never forget my first ripe Limburger. I turned and babied it for days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Those are my 6 favorite cheeses. They all deserve a second mention.

I'll never forget my first ripe Limburger. I turned and babied it for days.
Still laughing... I thought that you'd caught me at bad math.

Y'know, I've never had Limburger. That will change soon.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
A wheel of brie, sprinkled with brown sugar, dried cranberries, and pecans, then lightly baked, is fantastic.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Still laughing... I thought that you'd caught me at bad math.

Y'know, I've never had Limburger. That will change soon.
I'm the high priestess of bad math--science, even. A frequent question was, "How did you come to that conclusion?"

My mind may work in mysterious ways, but I know what to do with cheese. Buy a good Limburger, don't keep it in plastic, and turn it. All soft ripened cheeses should be flipped at least once a day. A ripe, but young cheese should be soft, spreadable, and not stinky.

You won't love it, but it's worth one try.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
...You won't love it, but it's worth one try.
You're right about that!!! I'm not sure if what I tried was even edible. It smelled like a dead animal rotting away on the highway at noon on a hot summer day. I got past that horrific odor, only to discover that it tasted EXACTLY as it smelled. It took quite some time to recover from that fiasco.

That's the problem with trying something for the first time. I mean, what if your first experience with something new is with a bad interpretation or preparation?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You're right about that!!! I'm not sure if what I tried was even edible. It smelled like a dead animal rotting away on the highway at noon on a hot summer day. I got past that horrific odor, only to discover that it tasted EXACTLY as it smelled. It took quite some time to recover from that fiasco.

That's the problem with trying something for the first time. I mean, what if your first experience with something new is with a bad interpretation or preparation?
Dead skunk in the middle of the road? That was a bad piece of cheese. Young, but ripe Limburger is like a wet lamb. It has a distinctive smell, but it doesn't stink. It's better than a wet dog in August.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
One cheese that has somewhat limited availability (at least, where I am) and also has a pretty regional appeal, but is really quite good is Norwegian Gjetost. Ski Queen is a commonly imported brand, and is usually sold in a red wrapped cube. It is made with goat's milk or a combo of goat and cow milk. It's most easily found in areas that have a significant Scandinavian immigrant culture, here.

It's a brown cheese that is distinctive because the whey is caramelized. It's basically the color of wrapped caramels.
Norwegians cut it with a cheese plane in thin curls,and it is melted on warm toasted bread for a common breakfast treat. I like it any time of day, though. It's an unusual flavor for most people, and unexpected in a cheese. It's got a slight sweetness about it, from the caramelized whey, but isn't a sweet cheese, either...because it's goat cheese, there is a sharp, kind of tangy undertone that cuts the sweetness. It has a slightly waxy consistency, it isn't crumbly. It's not like anything else, really. And it's good. Melty on a warm toasted English muffin is a great way to enjoy it.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:51 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I really like washed-rind cheeses. They are some of the stinkier varieties. One of my favorites is Stinking Bishop served at room temperature: it oozes out of its thick rind. It's great on water crackers.
This sounds like something I would like to try. Humboldt Fog sounds pretty amazing, too.

It's obviously not washed-rind, but a current favorite of mine is Caveman Blue, from Rogue Creamery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One cheese that has somewhat limited availability (at least, where I am) and also has a pretty regional appeal, but is really quite good is Norwegian Gjetost. Ski Queen is a commonly imported brand, and is usually sold in a red wrapped cube. It is made with goat's milk or a combo of goat and cow milk. It's most easily found in areas that have a significant Scandinavian immigrant culture, here.

It's a brown cheese that is distinctive because the whey is caramelized. It's basically the color of wrapped caramels.
Norwegians cut it with a cheese plane in thin curls,and it is melted on warm toasted bread for a common breakfast treat. I like it any time of day, though. It's an unusual flavor for most people, and unexpected in a cheese. It's got a slight sweetness about it, from the caramelized whey, but isn't a sweet cheese, either...because it's goat cheese, there is a sharp, kind of tangy undertone that cuts the sweetness. It has a slightly waxy consistency, it isn't crumbly. It's not like anything else, really. And it's good. Melty on a warm toasted English muffin is a great way to enjoy it.
That sounds well worth trying! I will have to see if I can find it.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 04-03-2018 at 04:09 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 04:38 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Last week, I made a shrimp/paneer saag with baby spinach, sweet onion, garlic, and a splash of half & half. Garam masala spice blend, turmeric, and whole cumin seed. The trick is to sauté the shrimp first with some of the spices and add it at the end so you don’t overcook the shrimp. I don’t cook many things with cheese. Fresh grated Parmesan regiano. Lasagna once in a while. In my world, cheese is mostly an hors d’oeuvre, salad, or sandwich.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Brie (or even better Délice de Bourgogne http://https://www.seriouseats.com/2...bourgogne.html) with baguette slices.

Goat cheese on baguette slices, each topped with a basil leaf.

Gloucester with Stilton (layer cake cheese) served with crisp apple slices.

Sometimes I make a cheese-veggie spread out of my yogurt cheese. Finely dice radish, green onion or chives, carrot, etc. and mix with cheese, then refrigerate to firm up. This is great on bagels.

God I love bread and cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink