Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:12 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times

Advertisements

I love St. André, Delice de Bourgogne, Edel de Cleron, aged Manchego, shaved Grana Padano, Roth Kase Buttermilk Blue, and a bunch of others. I eat them with crackers or (even better) baguette and enjoy them after work with wine or a cocktail!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 09:09 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One cheese that has somewhat limited availability (at least, where I am) and also has a pretty regional appeal, but is really quite good is Norwegian Gjetost. Ski Queen is a commonly imported brand, and is usually sold in a red wrapped cube. It is made with goat's milk or a combo of goat and cow milk. It's most easily found in areas that have a significant Scandinavian immigrant culture, here.

It's a brown cheese that is distinctive because the whey is caramelized. It's basically the color of wrapped caramels.
Norwegians cut it with a cheese plane in thin curls,and it is melted on warm toasted bread for a common breakfast treat. I like it any time of day, though. It's an unusual flavor for most people, and unexpected in a cheese. It's got a slight sweetness about it, from the caramelized whey, but isn't a sweet cheese, either...because it's goat cheese, there is a sharp, kind of tangy undertone that cuts the sweetness. It has a slightly waxy consistency, it isn't crumbly. It's not like anything else, really. And it's good. Melty on a warm toasted English muffin is a great way to enjoy it.

Good post....exactly what I was hoping for

Thanks to all for the ideas....some cheese were new to me so more to try...

Old 04-03-2018, 01:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Cambozola, Oka, Esrom, and sharp cheddar. I like them best in sandwiches.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:41 PM

20 posts, read 21,066 times
Brie - I love making a brie and apple toasted sandwich in the summertime. I fell in love with it after trying a similar sandwich at the France Pavilion in Epcot lol.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:59 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Default a different kind of "cheese omelet"

Putting entire slices of cheese into an omelet seems like overkill to me.
On the other hand, I like to put little shavings of sharp cheese, e.g. Parmesan, into the beaten eggs
(or they could be sprinkled on top).

Old 04-03-2018, 03:48 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
I like a grilled cheese with rye, basil pesto, tomato, and provolone.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
A lot of people complain that Provolone is too mild. Well, next time go for the Provolone Piccante and send those taste buds into high gear. It's available at a lot of deli counters, so give it a try.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
A lot of people complain that Provolone is too mild. Well, next time go for the Provolone Piccante and send those taste buds into high gear. It's available at a lot of deli counters, so give it a try.

Then those people just don't like provolone lol. I've never complained about cheeses I don't like; I simply don't eat them.

Provolone comes in mild, medium, and sharp (piccante), so that should suffice for those who like the taste of provolone. I love the smoky flavor, and usually get the medium. But I wouldn't pass up the others.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:10 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Then those people just don't like provolone lol. I've never complained about cheeses I don't like; I simply don't eat them.

Provolone comes in mild, medium, and sharp (piccante), so that should suffice for those who like the taste of provolone. I love the smoky flavor, and usually get the medium. But I wouldn't pass up the others.
I like med too...for some reason the picante was least favorite...

Old 04-03-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I like med too...for some reason the picante was least favorite...

IMO, it obscures the provolone's smokiness.

Speaking of that, I like PLTs--provolone, lettuce, and tomato. Heat the provolone slices in a pan until they bubble (like pancakes), but don't brown them. They'll stiffen a little as they cool, then assemble like a BLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink