Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 04:20 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,791,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I like med too...for some reason the picante was least favorite...
Really?? I love provolone piccante and smoked provolone is okay, but the mild just doesn't have enough zing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 04:21 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,739,479 times
Has anyone tried store-bought queso fresco??? Anywhere near what is served in Mexican restaurants??

Old 04-03-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Has anyone tried store-bought queso fresco??? Anywhere near what is served in Mexican restaurants??
It's okay, but the Mexican restaurants we frequent use Cotija cheese, which has much more flavor.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:33 PM

20,263 posts, read 14,499,234 times
Quote:
I haven't, but I have pawed through displays of it, hoping to find a cheese I used to see in Northern VA (can't remember what store!) but I have yet to find it since...

I'm on a quest.

It is Chihuahua cheese. So named for the region, not the dog, and if you're actually in that part of Mexico, apparently (thanks, Wikipedia) it's called queso menonita, because it was originally made by the Mennonites in the area.

This stuff is not tasty cold. You've got to melt it. But melted? It is pure heaven. Glorious.

One day...one day I'll find it again...

Meanwhile, I like:

Creamy Havarti on cracked pepper water crackers.
Port Wine Cheddar on Triscuits.
That stupid canned spray "cheese" on a Ritz, if I feel like thumbing my nose at the cheese gods.
The Yancey's Fancy smoked gouda with bacon melted in ramen thing I've been doing.
All kinds of sharp cheddars, though I like to experiment with various Irish cheddars and those made with different kinds of boozahol lately. The Irish cheddar with porter is yum. I like a sharp cheddar with ham on Challah bread, but that makes me feel like a wicked heathen, too. Heck, I'll throw an egg on there.
Monterey Jack and cheddar in tacos, Jack on pizza, melty melty white cheese everywhere baby!
And spaghetti ain't right without a pile of parmesan.

I like espresso or merlot bellavitano lately, too. Wish I could recall some of the names of other cheese bits I've picked up and tried recently...my grocer has a fancy cheese counter and they sell the little odd ends, tiny pieces, for a couple of dollars each, so you can try them without commitment. I love that.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
...It is Chihuahua cheese...
Go to a Latin grocery store. They often have Chihuahua cheese. In fact, check your Walmart, because I believe our Walmart has it.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:43 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,742,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One cheese that has somewhat limited availability (at least, where I am) and also has a pretty regional appeal, but is really quite good is Norwegian Gjetost. Ski Queen is a commonly imported brand, and is usually sold in a red wrapped cube. It is made with goat's milk or a combo of goat and cow milk. It's most easily found in areas that have a significant Scandinavian immigrant culture, here.

It's a brown cheese that is distinctive because the whey is caramelized. It's basically the color of wrapped caramels.
Norwegians cut it with a cheese plane in thin curls,and it is melted on warm toasted bread for a common breakfast treat. I like it any time of day, though. It's an unusual flavor for most people, and unexpected in a cheese. It's got a slight sweetness about it, from the caramelized whey, but isn't a sweet cheese, either...because it's goat cheese, there is a sharp, kind of tangy undertone that cuts the sweetness. It has a slightly waxy consistency, it isn't crumbly. It's not like anything else, really. And it's good. Melty on a warm toasted English muffin is a great way to enjoy it.

I remember when I first tried Gjetost. Before Wegmans had their superstores, they had "gourmet" departments, and I tried a sample of this cheese in the early 80s. I never pass up cheese lol but I was a little put off by the color.

I'm glad I tried it though. Today, I make another grilled cheese (what else?) with thin slices of Gjetost and banana--on Wegmans delicious cranberry sugar bread.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:25 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,354,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Go to a Latin grocery store. They often have Chihuahua cheese. In fact, check your Walmart, because I believe our Walmart has it.
Yep, we have numerous Mexican markets in the neighborhood, and they all have it.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:10 AM

20,263 posts, read 14,499,234 times
Yeah, I need to check the Latin stores...I did look at Walmart, because I vaguely recall that's where we found it back in Virginia, but ours doesn't carry it. Just piles and piles of "Queso Fresco."

Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,303,611 times
Quote:
Use cheeses in cooking, salads, sandwiches?

Looking for uses in unusual ways...ie I like feta with scrambled eggs...

Please no negatives about eating cheese in general. We know what they are...
My favorite cheese is any cheese and I use it anyway. Well I guess if I have to pick one it would be Swiss. my least favorite is probably Feta. I have no unusual ways to use cheese, I just use it in almost anything. I even like to eat blue cheese by itself. Of course, which isn't really unusual anymore, steak topped with blue cheese is a winner.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,739,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My favorite cheese is any cheese and I use it anyway. Well I guess if I have to pick one it would be Swiss. my least favorite is probably Feta. I have no unusual ways to use cheese, I just use it in almost anything. I even like to eat blue cheese by itself. Of course, which isn't really unusual anymore, steak topped with blue cheese is a winner.

Oh, a fellow blue cheese eater! I can eat it alone too...hopefully it's a good Maytag blue....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink