Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

I prefer to be able to disengage from what I'm doing and actually leave the site and take a true mental break from whatever I'm working on, but only if there is a sufficient window of time to do so. I loathe rushing around. If leaving for lunch entails doing it in a rush, count me out. Lunch is a break, not something to be stressfully crammed in. In that case, I'd rather just find a quiet place onsite to decompress in and not be tasked with doing anything.

When I taught, lunch was shoveled in while standing up, supervising students. No duty-free lunch. Blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 08:55 AM

95 posts, read 110,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Thursdays is a great taco place, so I usually have tacos on Thursdays.
I tend not to eat such spicy food because of GERD.
Quote:
so I just come back to my desk.
We have a policy here that eating at one’s work desk is not welcome. It is done for a reason. First off, the smell can be pretty annoying. Second, your computer or documents can be damaged or stained. You are not going to be fined or reprimanded for eating a full-fledged lunch at one’s desk (you can do it if you want to) yet few people have a full lunch at their desks (I don't see such people around me). Most people go to breakroom or some other eatery. Nonetheless, many people eat some snacks at the desks. Snacks like chocolate, nuts, fruits, and this is not frown upon.
Quote:
(glass containers ... I don't like heating plastic)
I don’t like heating plastic either. I assume it is not very safe, so I tend to take food that requires heating in glass containers yet I have no problem taking cold food like salads in plastic containers since they are much lighter. I don’t need any additional weight in my bag on my way to job in the morning. I go by subway, not by car, so weight matters.
Quote:
I'm trying to do a better job of bringing food from home.
There are periods when I’m prone to cook at home and take this food to job. Yes, this food is healthier that one sold in our eatery. However, I don’t always have a desire to buy additional food for my lunches in supermarkets or spend my time to cook in the evening. So it is much easier to buy your lunch.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:51 AM

2,740 posts, read 1,335,417 times
Sometimes I eat in my office. We have offices with doors.

Sometimes I go out.

Sometimes I go home.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I eat at my desk. It's only three of us. I bring lunch everyday. It's a quiet office. My old office job I couldn't wait to leave the building for 1 hour.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:29 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Years ago, I would bring my own lunch & then at lunch time, go for a walk to a local park & eat it on the park bench, it was good to get our of the stuffy office for an hour, & watch the birds. At other jobs, I would either eat at my desk, or go out alone. In my last job, we would sometimes go out as a small group for lunch, that was fun, until one woman decided it was a good time to ask work related questions, so then I would just eat in the break room. Better yet, when I switched to middle shift, I ate before I went in, & did not really take a lunch break, because sitting in the break room, meant people thought if you are not on the phone, then they can come & pester you with questions. Now I am retired, but if I had to do it again I say walking to the park, weather permitting was my favorite option.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
When I was still working I split it up: even when I brought my lunch I would usually eat in the large lunch room with friends. About once a week I would run out and pick up take out for several of us. Then we would all go to the lunch room. Other days we would go out for lunch or have delivery. On rare occasions I would eat at my desk, but not very often. I think we all need a break sometimes throughout the day, just to take a deep breath and going outside, which we did during the summer months gave us fresh air.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
I had a similar problem, but I wasn't willing to walk all the way out to my car just to avoid my coworkers. So I printed out a sign that said "On my lunch break. I'm not really here. I'm just a figment of your imagination. I will return at 1:00" and I tape it above my head during my lunch hour. When a coworker approaches with a question, I don't even turn around. I just point to the sign and keep eating.
I did the same thing, to no avail. She’s kind of young and still in that stage of not quite understanding that it’s not impressive to work through lunch. Sweet kid; she’ll get there.

I actually don’t mind going to my car, as long as it’s not too cold out. I like the silence.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM

17,274 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I knew a guy that used to go to a free buffet lunch frequently......at a strip club! We knew he went either by the smokey smell (he didn't smoke) or if you were close enough to him to spot the glitter/stripper perfume.

I have been to a high end steakhouse/strip club but the two areas were separate, a buffet....not for me. Steaks and Fakes is always a good combo!

Old 04-04-2018, 11:39 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
I will go out to lunch with coworkers once in awhile (once a month or so), but I otherwise pack a lunch and eat at my desk. I’d rather save the money and eat something healthier. Mostly though, I work through my lunch so I can leave a little earlier so I get home earlier.

I don’t worry about gossip and drama. I’m not Miss Popular at work because I have a life outside of it.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:28 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
I bring a salad every day and eat at my desk. I only have half an hour, and there's only a Subway within walking, so by the time I drove somewhere, got my food, I'd have to drive back and eat at my desk anyway. Not worth it. Especially in crappy weather, which is what we have most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink