Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:33 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The only job I've had as an adult, you cram bites in here and there while you're working.

There is no designated protected time to sit and eat.

I guess I'm ok with that bc I don't know how else it would work.
This has been the norm for me.

I mean, sometimes I could sit and eat. The other times I'm driving through Jack in the Box and eating on the way to the assignment.

As a result, I tend to eat quickly even when I don't have to. It's not the best of habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 02:27 PM

560 posts, read 540,116 times
Back in the day when I worked; it really varied for me. There were some days I only had time to eat my yogurt I brought from home and a granola bar. Other days would be bringing lunch from home and eat it on my unit's break room where it had a small kitchenette with coffee, fridge, sink and microwave. It also had a cafeteria for employees which I utilized maybe 10 times in my 12 years of working there.

Other days grab whatever I can while I was out on the field.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
With a whole hour give or take on salary and often working longer days then it was out for lunch for either tacos, burritos, or hot wings. Then every so often the burger craving hit. Alone or with a colleague or two it was always good. Never in a large noisy group.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:28 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Pre-retirement I preferred to use my lunch break as a time to de-stress and relax. Another coworker and I would often find an empty conference room and enjoy the quite time together, or I would stay at my desk and eat.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:24 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
I bring my own lunch 4 out of 5 days. Fridays I usually go out somewhere by myself or with coworkers.

Bringing lunch saves so much money.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:33 AM

95 posts, read 110,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraction View Post
Sometimes I eat in my office. We have offices with doors.

Sometimes I go out.

Sometimes I go home.
It would take 1 hour 15 minutes for me to get home if I decided to go home for lunch, yet I remember the period in my life when I lived near my job and it was only a 15-minute walk from my home to my job. I rented the apartment that close for this purpose. Just didn’t want to spend much time in the subway.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Years ago, I would bring my own lunch & then at lunch time, go for a walk to a local park & eat it on the park bench, it was good to get our of the stuffy office for an hour, & watch the birds. At other jobs, I would either eat at my desk, or go out alone. In my last job, we would sometimes go out as a small group for lunch, that was fun, until one woman decided it was a good time to ask work related questions, so then I would just eat in the break room. Better yet, when I switched to middle shift, I ate before I went in, & did not really take a lunch break, because sitting in the break room, meant people thought if you are not on the phone, then they can come & pester you with questions. Now I am retired, but if I had to do it again I say walking to the park, weather permitting was my favorite option.
Eating on the park bench, weather permitting, is a good idea. I don’t take my glass or plastic container with me though if eat outdoors as I don’t want to take a fork or a spoon. It is not very comfortable to eat from container outdoors for my money. In fact, I prefer to eat indoors fast and then spend the remainder of my lunch walking around outdoors. Having said this, occasionally I just buy some food in the nearest groceries (e.g., bananas) and go lunch outdoors. In our neck of the woods we have snow three months a year, and the warm weather is scarce, so I sometimes eat outdoors even if it is snowing. Just in case, I don’t mind it and am not complaining. I don’t sit on the bench though since it is cold but just devour my bananas standing. Lol

Old 04-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we all need a break sometimes throughout the day, just to take a deep breath and going outside
Very true. During workday many people would take a break just to relax their jaded eyes and loosen their stiff muscles. Since many of us work with computers all day long, our eyes start to feel sore and our backs start to ache.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I did the same thing, to no avail. She’s kind of young and still in that stage of not quite understanding that it’s not impressive to work through lunch.
People tend to judge others by themselves. If some employee believes it is okay to eat and work at the same time, he/she might also think it is okay to pester other people while they eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
she’ll get there.
Do you mean she is going to be successful in having a good career because she stops at nothing?

Old 04-10-2018, 11:28 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecru View Post
Most often I go to lunch to our eatery on the first floor of our office building. The second place in terms of frequency is taken by the lunches from home placed in plastic containers. When I do so I eat in the small kitchen on our floor in the office. Rarely if I neither lunch in our eatery nor take food from home I go to the nearest groceries to buy some food.

Most of my coworkers, who don’t take their food from home, go to lunch together in small groups to the eatery in our office or somewhere else. I prefer to go there alone though. I don’t get much of a joy eating together with someone else. It distracts me from the process of eating and having pleasure from food.

What is your attitude towards lunches on job?
I eat at my desk. I go to the gym for my lunch hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink