Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:36 AM

95 posts, read 110,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I knew a guy that used to go to a free buffet lunch frequently......at a strip club! We knew he went either by the smokey smell (he didn't smoke) or if you were close enough to him to spot the glitter/stripper perfume.
I've never been to a strip bar and I hope I never will. This is the reason I don't get why he preferred free lunches there. Is the entrance free, so he managed to eat free of charge completely?
Quote:
I have been to a high end steakhouse/strip club but the two areas were separate, a buffet....not for me. Steaks and Fakes is always a good combo!
What is Steaks and Fakes? Is it a name of some combo dish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,886,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree completely with Ecru. I was fired from my last job, and a major reason was because I refused to work through lunch. We were NOT paid for the entire lunch period despite the requirement that the employees work throughout lunch, and I am a disabled employee and really needed part of the time to take a power nap since my medications cause drowsiness. But I'm fine with it.

I'm an older, wiser employee and don't put up with the BS from companies I used to. I give companies my all and work hard for them, but if they don't treat me fairly, I leave without regret. I have since noticed the company suffers from high turnover and their employees are not very happy there.
When I first started my current job, the senior minister was in the office once during my lunch break. The phone rang. And rang. And rang. He looks at me and says "Aren't you going to answer that?" I said, "No. I'm on my lunch break." I WANTED to add "It wouldn't be a BREAK if I continued working, now would it?"
I'm paid to answer the phone. If I'm not being paid, I'm not answering the phone! DUH!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecru View Post
I've never been to a strip bar and I hope I never will. This is the reason I don't get why he preferred free lunches there. Is the entrance free, so he managed to eat free of charge completely?
What is Steaks and Fakes? Is it a name of some combo dish?
1. Buffett lunch is free, $9 beers to wash it down are not. Usually no cover charges during the day.

2. Steaks and fakes: Steaks refers to the food on your plate, Fakes refers to the enhanced breasts on stage!

Old 04-11-2018, 10:45 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I think of lunch as a big timewaster. Whether I’m at work or at home, I just throw something down and get back to work. If I had a high pressure job, I would feel differently, but I haven’t.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I will go out to lunch with coworkers once in awhile (once a month or so), but I otherwise pack a lunch and eat at my desk. I’d rather save the money and eat something healthier. Mostly though, I work through my lunch so I can leave a little earlier so I get home earlier.

I don’t worry about gossip and drama. I’m not Miss Popular at work because I have a life outside of it.
We don't have such an option: whether you lunch or not you can't get home earlier, unless you are entitled to it by law (e.g., some people with serious disabilities are entitled to 7 hour workday instead of 8).

Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I bring a salad every day and eat at my desk. I only have half an hour, and there's only a Subway within walking, so by the time I drove somewhere, got my food, I'd have to drive back and eat at my desk anyway. Not worth it. Especially in crappy weather, which is what we have most of the time.
I’d like to show my respect to someone who manages to eat the same food every lunch. It requires either a great discipline or a huge love for some particular food. I prefer to change my food occasionally so that I can get all the necessary ingredients, minerals, vitamins. Besides, if I ate the same dish every single day, there is a chance, it would bore me. Nonetheless, I also like salads and can eat them on the regular basis.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:14 PM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
1. Buffett lunch is free, $9 beers to wash it down are not. Usually no cover charges during the day.

2. Steaks and fakes: Steaks refers to the food on your plate, Fakes refers to the enhanced breasts on stage!
Huh. I had no idea they served food at strip bars.

What you don't learn on City-Data.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:28 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
I ate in the hospital cafeteria before I retired. The food was pretty healthy and reasonably priced.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I like to get some fresh air, and work on the waterfront, so I spend about 20 minutes walking along the water, then go back into my office and eat. We have a restaurant downstairs, but it’s also open to the public, and besides taking too long, the food is not that great. There are really good restaurants within a short walk, but I only go to them for lunch on special occasions with others. Actually, tomorrow about a dozen of us are going on a visit to some of our other properties and having lunch while out.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Our breakroom doesn't have anyplace to sit. It's really just a kitchenette. Besides, sometimes I want to spend my lunch break at my computer doing some online shopping or browsing Facebook. People learned quickly that they're not going to get my attention during my lunch break. They can knock, call, yell, set off flares ... doesn't matter. I'm not doing anything work-related until my hour is up.
Sometimes this policy may not work if one practices it. There are incidents when employees of a specific kind tend to report on their coworkers if they deny to take part in their job-related activities during lunch hour. Their rationale often goes like this, "Hey, we have the urgent task here. You need to make a break and help me unless you want our company to lose millions/our department to miss the deadline/our superior to get angry/choose any other weighty reason you want."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink