U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times

Advertisements

When my father died, the next-door neighbor who owns an Italian deli sent over a huge tray of cold cuts and cheeses, with rolls. What a relief when it came to feeding all our relatives from out of town, and it lasted for a week. Casseroles in foil pans are great, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:42 PM

2,238 posts, read 6,486,407 times
My feelings -- don't bring food. Everyone else is going to do that and the family will have more food than they need. What I did last time I needed to provide something for a bereaved family -- I gave them a certificate for home cleaning services for two weeks. After all, when a loved one dies, it's not always easy to make yourself do the dishes and clean the toilets.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM

2,973 posts, read 4,583,180 times
The cleaning service is a nice idea too.

Our school and some family members have both used the services like "Supper Time" or whatever they are called, to get together and make a week of meals for people we know and love dealing with illness or death.

I suppose it would be a great gift to new mothers too!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:57 PM

28,227 posts, read 13,779,958 times
RoaminRed what a great idea. I know when my BIL died the ladies in town would show up when we went to viewings and we would come back to laundry done, house sparkling, beds made-as we were all "camped' there.

When my Dad died the girls at the beauty parlor I went to sent a huge platter of subs, other friends had us all for dinner between viewings.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:16 PM

16,498 posts, read 22,967,292 times
When my father died, everyone brought food, but they also stayed and washed dishes and cleaned the kitchen. Gave them something to do and kept them out of my mother's hair.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM

13,779 posts, read 17,016,507 times
I love the wild rice and chicken casserole and a good salad. We have a group of friends and neighbors that get together and get a calendar out for major life events and cover dinners for as long as the list goes on!
Last year a friend had surgery for cancer and ALL of her dinners were covered for over 2 months so some other friends and I set up a schedule and packed her kids lunches. She said this was such a huge relief every morning to know the lunches were taken care of.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:21 PM

4,378 posts, read 8,624,731 times
Along the lines of casseroles, I would make "funeral potatoes." At least that's what we call them where I live. It's also called Hashbrown casserole, yummy potatoes, or Momon potatoes. Here's a recipe.

When my mom died, our neighbors brought us over all kinds of foods. The thought is what counts, but we ended up with WAY too many sweets/desserts. My advice is to provide a main course or a versatile side dish. That's something you case base a meal on. Then the grieving family can add something to that if they so desire. I like the crock pot idea too.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 PM

9,047 posts, read 16,465,838 times
My stepgrandpa passed away Monday and my grandma's neighbors brought over a pan of "chicken spaghetti". I don't know how it was made, but it was good.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,356,233 times
Sorry to hear that. Send our love to your Grandma

Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
The foil pans are GREAT as are the Glad/Ziploc reusable plastic containers if they don't feel like cleaning they won't feel guilty throwing them away. Nor do they have to be returned. There are even some for casseroles that are oven and dishwasher safe.

The coldcuts, cheese, relish trays w/ rolls and stuff for sandwiches are great. Since there is not always a "set time" for meals during this period it is easy for anyone that gets hungry to fix them something that is at least hearty and the same goes w/ crackers and cheese. Some are not going to be hungry for a big meal during this time so things they can nibble on that are not all sweets are always good. A nice ham that is sliced like a spiral ham would work well too since they can eat it as a main meal w/ sides and use the leftovers for sandwiches.

Don't forget the PAPER GOODS and DRINKS! If you have a group that is organizing the meals for the family make sure the first one takes over enough paper plates, plasticware, napkins & plastic cups to use for several days. Everyone giving can pitch in to provide these items. A bag of ice might also be handy for drinks if there is a large crowd of family staying at the house. Things like coffee and tea also work well. Just all of those side and little items that are needed to go w/ the meals that they are not going to think of and run to the store and buy. Extra toilet paper too and boxes of tissues.

If you can organize w/ the others that are going to be or wanting to take meals I'd do so. That way everyone won't end up taking them the same thing.

A breakfast casserole and other breakfast items can come in handy as well. Since many only think of the lunch/dinner meals they forget about breakfast. You can make the sausage and egg casserole that uses the Bisquick mix the night before and take it to them to just put in the oven in the morning. If you can get it there early enough and have arranged to come early you can bake it for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink