Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times

Advertisements

Personally, I can't get over the fact that the kids were allowed to call food "gross" or say "yuck" about food prepared in a house where they are the guests. I would never allow my children to do this. It is completely rude and ungrateful! I say let them go hungry!

About two weeks ago we were invited to a friend's home for dinner. On the way, I told my kids that I didn't know what we were going to be having, but they would eat it, no matter what. I think I also mentioned something like if they said the word "eww" they would be grounded for a month!

Well, they served some chicken, rice, green beans and rolls. It was a great dinner. The only problem was the green beans. I know that neither of my kids like green beans (they like most veggies, just not those). I still put some on each of their plates. I sat the plates in front of them and turned around. When I looked back at them I noticed my daughter had a green bean on her fork and her nose scrunched up. I was next to her in a flash! I told her to remember what I told them in the car. If she wanted to be grounded, then fine...but she would eat every bite.

They both cleared their plates and survived. Honestly, I don't understand why parents "shelter" their kids from food. It's not going to kill them, and it may open their eyes to something they will end up enjoying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Their loss is our gain. More yummy food for us !

I have never understood how incredibly narrow minded people can be about food and trying new culinary experiences.

Food to me is one of the greatest joys has to offer and if we only ate what we were used to, we would miss out on so many gastronomic delights.

We all have likes and dislikes but until you have tried something I find it borderline stupid to say "yukk" or"gross". Not even borderline, just plain stupid. Sorry if I offend anyone.

Food is very much a cultural thing and our taboos are dictated purely by our own cultural limitations.

It does not mean we can't step out of that narrow path and explore a bit.

The ironic thing is that to me those picky people are the ones who usually eat the most disgusting food, usually pre-packaged, processed, plastic, bland tasting offerings of no interest whatsoever.

I have often wondered why these people are not just given a pill as real food is obviously of no interest to them whatsoever.

Some of my most memorable meals have come from trying out new things and putting my prejudices to sleep.

Sadly this appalling attitude to food ( and life in general I suspect) is found in our mdern society because kids are so pampered as to only eat what they want. Parents have no control, and kids dictate to their progenitors rather than the other way around. Mind you the parents often have the same "tastes" or lack of.

Kids should be encouraged to eat as adults do from toddlerhood and taught to appreciate food and where it comes from.

We need to re-instate a true love of eating and an appreciation of gastronomy.

My father allowed me 3 foods I would not eat ( after I had first tasted them), anything else I had to eat. I am about the least picky eater I know and I love new, sometimes bizarre foods.

Picky eaters are a mystery to me. How can one limit oneself to only a few morsels of food when the world is your oyster so to speak ?
How incredibly narrow-minded and idiotic.

Life is about experiences, about new discoveries and about curiosity and having an enquiring mind and palate.

Anything else is a travesty of life and one might just as well stay in bed drinking life sustaining vitamins instead of enjoying eating.

I cannot imagine more mind blowingly boring people than those poor souls who are afraid and suspicious of everything new. Life must be so tedious for them. So lacking in lustre and joie de vivre.

Oh well , more scallops, mussels, Ceviche, Sashimi and Steak Tartare for me anyway !

I mostly agree with you except I am not as cool as you. I am trying though. I still don't want to eat worm cheese or creepy crawlies of any kind. Snails are all right.

Last time we ate dim sum we said no to the chicken feet. The people at the next table over had them though, and they looked so good! We are trying them next time. If I will eat a chicken's wing, why is it gross to eat its feet?

You're completely right about food taboos being dicated by the local culture. My coworkers are unfortunately eaters of very bland food. I can't even get them to try "exotic" Thai food! I need a fun lunch buddy like Mooseketeer!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:31 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Years ago I managed a dept. in a bank and my co-workers were of all nationalites. We decided to have "culture Fridays" and everyone would bring a dish native to them. It was wonderful fun and exposed us to many different tastes.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I mostly agree with you except I am not as cool as you. I am trying though. I still don't want to eat worm cheese or creepy crawlies of any kind. Snails are all right.

Last time we ate dim sum we said no to the chicken feet. The people at the next table over had them though, and they looked so good! We are trying them next time. If I will eat a chicken's wing, why is it gross to eat its feet?

You're completely right about food taboos being dicated by the local culture. My coworkers are unfortunately eaters of very bland food. I can't even get them to try "exotic" Thai food! I need a fun lunch buddy like Mooseketeer!
I'm not that cool believe me I have my dislikes too !

Marmite and Brown sauce ( British condiments) will never pass my lips again now that I have tried them !

And I absolutely hate cooked spinach ( love it raw though, go figure), mutton and celery ! I will eat it if I am a guest somewhere but my stomach will let me know it is not happy !

I think our tastes are mainly to do with perceptions and the way we were brought up. It's not easy to let go but in the end it is usually worth it. Even the foods I find truly disgusting ( seal blubber and intestines and marmot spring to mind) have added to my experiences and I am glad I tried them.

I think also we are too bothered by what food looks like and can often miss out simply because something looks "odd".

Things I find hardest to stomach are things with certain pungeant smells ( things that smell rotten for example), purely because it triggers a natural response in the stomach which makes it difficult to ingest.

I had a really delicious fruit once in Brazil ( can't remember the name of it) but it smelled like something monstrous had died on it)so I pinched my nose, took a gulp of air and then chewed. It was actually quite delicious.

I think we worry too much about not ever experiencing things which may be unpleasant or difficult, things which challenge us and in the process we lose out big time.
It's a shame really. I like my comforts too but sometimes stepping out of that comfort zone and trying new stuff is just fabulous. And if it's horrible, let's face it , it won't last that long !

We have forgotten that life isn't supposed to be completely bland and the same all the time, perfectly safe, perfectly uniform, perfect, that sometimes if we eschew instant self gratification we can stumble upon delicious discoveries. Food-wise and life-wise.

I relish new tastes, even the "yukk" ones. I actually pity people who are live in fear of the "what if".

I don't want to die having only eaten what is considered mainstream. What a waste that would be.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 AM

50,373 posts, read 63,977,343 times
This their parent's fault, since they prepare the food. Probably nothing can be done about it now.
I always prepared a variety of foods and if the kids didn't want to eat it they could go hungry until the next meal...and frequently they did, and of course no between meal eating or dessert.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Personally, I can't get over the fact that the kids were allowed to call food "gross" or say "yuck" about food prepared in a house where they are the guests. I would never allow my children to do this. It is completely rude and ungrateful! I say let them go hungry!
This was exactly what I told my family member who made comments about the special food i bought her their children. if they don't like it fine they don't eat then. no skin off my back. i'm not making special dishes for them.

The best one I heard (again family member) was when my niece was having a sleep over at another family member's house (dinner was to be pasta) and sleep over host was told my niece will only eat certain pasta SHAPES. the host said well she'll eat whatever shape i have and if she doesn't then she'll be hungry all night.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:56 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post

About two weeks ago we were invited to a friend's home for dinner. On the way, I told my kids that I didn't know what we were going to be having, but they would eat it, no matter what. I think I also mentioned something like if they said the word "eww" they would be grounded for a month!

Well, they served some chicken, rice, green beans and rolls. It was a great dinner. The only problem was the green beans. I know that neither of my kids like green beans (they like most veggies, just not those). I still put some on each of their plates. I sat the plates in front of them and turned around. When I looked back at them I noticed my daughter had a green bean on her fork and her nose scrunched up. I was next to her in a flash! I told her to remember what I told them in the car. If she wanted to be grounded, then fine...but she would eat every bite.

They both cleared their plates and survived. Honestly, I don't understand why parents "shelter" their kids from food. It's not going to kill them, and it may open their eyes to something they will end up enjoying!
When my sister and I were kids my mom would fix our plate and we weren't allowed to leave the table until our food was gone. I have a friend who tells me "your mom was mean to you as a kid". This is a person who now eats nothing but meat and potatoes. When I was a kid I probably did think my mom was being mean, but now I know it was for the better because I can appreciate different types of food.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
The best one I heard (again family member) was when my niece was having a sleep over at another family member's house (dinner was to be pasta) and sleep over host was told my niece will only eat certain pasta SHAPES. the host said well she'll eat whatever shape i have and if she doesn't then she'll be hungry all night.

that is the dumbest thing ever. all the shapes taste the same and its probably the parent who put that nonsense into their heads. no one is that picky by nature

Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
When my sister and I were kids my mom would fix our plate and we weren't allowed to leave the table until our food was gone. I have a friend who tells me "your mom was mean to you as a kid". This is a person who now eats nothing but meat and potatoes. When I was a kid I probably did think my mom was being mean, but now I know it was for the better because I can appreciate different types of food.
My parents were just as mean...maybe I got my meanness from them?

Oh well, I'm better for it, and my children will be as well.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:03 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,965 times
It's definately their parents fault for raising them this way. (No offense, I know the parents are your family members), but seriously...

You need to raise kids from a young age to try new things. I would say it is probably gonna take a while to break them of this habit if at all. I have grown friends 21 and beyond who are picky eaters because their parents were closed minded.

My grandma always shoved mystery food in my mouth as soon as I could chew and I am thankful for it. Being that picky is going to force them to miss out on trying interesting cultural dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink