U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM

11,761 posts, read 6,999,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I live in KC. I'm not a fan of Bryant's. My favorites are Jack Stack and Q39, with an honorable mention to Joe's KC. Jack Stack was actually my favorite but I think now it's Q39. Ribs so tender and good even without sauce, and great brisket and burnt ends too.
We tried a bunch of different BBQ restuarants while in KC last summer. Jack Stack was my least favorite. I ordered burnt ends, but was given sliced brisket. When I mentioned this, both the server and manager insisted that the sliced meat on my plate was actually burnt ends. The brisket wasn't bad, but I would never go back to a place that treats their customers like idiots. Plus their sides weren't good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:32 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,391,879 times
I live in the South. There is a hole-in-the-wall place about 3 miles from our house. Basically, it's a shed on the side of the road with a sign that simply says BBQ. They keep odd hours and aren't open every day, but if you drive by when they are serving customers you will see a full parking lot. It's the real deal and the pies are also grand. Our realtor gifts their pies to his customers each Thanksgiving. Lucky us

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

984 posts, read 396,069 times
Have been to several BBQ places over the years. And maybe my luck is just good, but I’ve had very few bad experiences. Not counting those places I know have closed as of now or national chains:

Joe’s BBQ (Kansas City, KS). Great. Best I’ve ever had, actually.
Fiorella’s Jack Stack BBQ (Kansas City). Great.
Arthur Bryant’s BBQ (Kansas City). Very good.
Gates BBQ (Kansas City). Good.
Maurice’s Piggie Park BBQ (Columbia, SC). Very good.
Bessinger’s BBQ (Charleston, SC). Very good.
The Pit BBQ (Raleigh). Good.
Clyde Cooper’s (Raleigh). Good.
Salt Lick BBQ (Oklahoma City airport). Good.
The BBQ Shop (Memphis). Great.
A & R BBQ (Memphis). Very good.
Blues City Cafe (Memphis). Good.
Central BBQ (Memphis). So-so.
Corky’s (Memphis airport). Bad.
Interstate BBQ (Memphis airport). Bad.
Where Pigs Fly (Dover, DE). So-so.
Phil’s BBQ (San Diego). So-so.
Virgil’s BBQ (NYC). Not good.
Sonny’s BBQ (Largo, FL). Very good.
Fox Brothers BBQ (Atlanta). Very good.
Buz and Ned’s BBQ (Richmond, VA). Good.
Jack’s BBQ (Nashville). Good.
Jethro’s BBQ (Des Moines). Good.
Redbones (Somerville, MA). Good.
Blue Ribbon BBQ (Arlington and Newton, MA). Very good.
Bub’s BBQ (Sunderland, MA). Very good.
Rosebud (Somerville, MA). Not good.
Bison County (Waltham, MA). So-so.
Firefly’s (Marlborough, MA). So-so.
Pit Stop BBQ (Mattapan, MA). Good.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,645,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Have been to several BBQ places over the years. And maybe my luck is just good, but Iíve had very few bad experiences. Not counting those places I know have closed as of now or national chains:

Joeís BBQ (Kansas City, KS). Great. Best Iíve ever had, actually.
Fiorellaís Jack Stack BBQ (Kansas City). Great.
Arthur Bryantís BBQ (Kansas City). Very good.
Gates BBQ (Kansas City). Good.
Mauriceís Piggie Park BBQ (Columbia, SC). Very good.
Bessingerís BBQ (Charleston, SC). Very good.
The Pit BBQ (Raleigh). Good.
Clyde Cooperís (Raleigh). Good.
Salt Lick BBQ (Oklahoma City airport). Good.
The BBQ Shop (Memphis). Great.
A & R BBQ (Memphis). Very good.
Blues City Cafe (Memphis). Good.
Central BBQ (Memphis). So-so.
Corkyís (Memphis airport). Bad.
Interstate BBQ (Memphis airport). Bad.
Where Pigs Fly (Dover, DE). So-so.
Philís BBQ (San Diego). So-so.
Virgilís BBQ (NYC). Not good.
Sonnyís BBQ (Largo, FL). Very good.
Fox Brothers BBQ (Atlanta). Very good.
Buz and Nedís BBQ (Richmond, VA). Good.
Jackís BBQ (Nashville). Good.
Jethroís BBQ (Des Moines). Good.
Redbones (Somerville, MA). Good.
Blue Ribbon BBQ (Arlington and Newton, MA). Very good.
Bubís BBQ (Sunderland, MA). Very good.
Rosebud (Somerville, MA). Not good.
Bison County (Waltham, MA). So-so.
Fireflyís (Marlborough, MA). So-so.
Pit Stop BBQ (Mattapan, MA). Good.
This could be one of the best posts ever on City Data!

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

6,198 posts, read 3,321,065 times
I'm another fan of upstate SC. Some great BBQ around there. When she was in college, daughter really loved Smokin Pig near Clemson. The kind of place most people wouldn't walk in if they didn't know about it.

Best I ever had was an old fellow with a stereotypical side of the road place. Didn't cook every day, but when he did, people would come from a hundred miles away and line up to buy some. Had a very good vinegar/red pepper based sauce. His belief was if you needed a thick, sweet, tomato sauce for BBQ, then the meat wasn't cooked right.

The other big thing in that area when I grew up was whole hog. Chopped or minced so you could get all the different flavors of hog in every bite.

Sad for me to see so many of these little joints disappearing because it takes a lot of work to cook BBQ right and they just can't compete with the chains in volume, even though their quality is better.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

5,699 posts, read 3,244,224 times
BBQ in MN is a mixed bag. I do like John Hardy's BBQ in Rochester, MN. The original owner came from Alabama.

DH does some smoked baby back ribs that are pretty good.

Old Today, 03:31 PM

17,160 posts, read 20,220,183 times
There was a BBQ joint in Laurel Delaware that we would go to when we went down there (BIL has another home down there) Best Ribs I ever had, homemade raspberry Iced tea, great sides an inexpensive. Last time we went to visit we went there. Sadly the place closed I think the place was called the Pit. It was a small whole in the wall place.

Old Today, 07:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 14,951,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
We tried a bunch of different BBQ restuarants while in KC last summer. Jack Stack was my least favorite. I ordered burnt ends, but was given sliced brisket. When I mentioned this, both the server and manager insisted that the sliced meat on my plate was actually burnt ends. The brisket wasn't bad, but I would never go back to a place that treats their customers like idiots. Plus their sides weren't good.
Wow. What location was that? Their burnt ends and brisket look nothing alike, although burnt ends do come from the brisket portion. The brisket is, like you say, sliced meat, and the burnt ends are cubes. I've always had excellent customer service, so kind of surprised that you experienced that.

I'm not really a fan of cubed burnt ends, though. I prefer TRUE burnt ends that are actually crispy little pieces as opposed to cubes, but true burnt ends are hard to find because there is such a demand for them that restaurants "make" burnt ends cut from brisket. Joe's KC does serve true burnt ends on Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings while they last. Zarda used to have good true burnt ends, but that was years ago.

Q39 is good. And I like Joe's. Jack Stack is our favorite/go-to, though. We order baby back ribs for two, which comes with big three sides to share. They don't charge to swap sides even to premium sides, so we usually get a combination of loaded baked potato, veggie kabob with horseradish sauce and either baked beans or coleslaw or side salad or broccoli with garlic butter or potato salad. I'm not a fan of their cheesy corn or cheesy potatoes, but lots of people love the corn especially.

Old Today, 10:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 6,999,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Wow. What location was that? Their burnt ends and brisket look nothing alike, although burnt ends do come from the brisket portion. The brisket is, like you say, sliced meat, and the burnt ends are cubes. I've always had excellent customer service, so kind of surprised that you experienced that.
I'm not familiar with the different locations, we were over near the WWI museum.

Yes, I have had burnt ends many times before at bbq restaurants in St. Louis. Since they are supposed to be a specialty of Kansas City bbq, I wanted to try them at an actual KC bbq place. At first, I thought they had my order mixed up since I knew what the burnt ends were supposed to look like. It definitely ruined the meal when I was told that the brisket was actually what their burnt ends looked like. I don't know if they were just out of them, or what the deal was... but it was weird to be lied to like that. I'd prefer they admit that my order was rung up wrong, or that they were out of something than to treat me like an idiot who knew nothing about what I had ordered.

Joe's Kansas City was good, but I didn't think they were better than the bbq places I enjoy here in Saint Louis- Sugarfire, Bogarts, The Shaved Duck, or even Pappys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or