Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:56 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
He needs to grow up and act his age.

you need to stop enabling him to act like a petulant child.

You should realize that that this whole thing is all about control and him trying to put the onus on you for not pleasing him.

He sounds like a he has some real issues...I'm guessing he does other things to make you feel inadequate.

I just can't fathom a grown man pouting at the dinner table uttering 'Ewww!'

Put him on a Bread and water ration.
+1

ALL this! Especially the bolded part. Until you deal with that issue, I fear that food choices are the least of your problems.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:57 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
I agree with everyone else. Let him fend for himself. You cook what you want for you.

He can shop for the groceries himself too.

He is being ungrateful and difficult. It is one thing to be picky, but if someone is cooking for you, and you don't have the common courtesy to answer what you would LIKE for dinner (I would be so grateful if I was ever asked and if there was a person to cook for me!) - he is playing a sadistic game and he's also teaching your son to be picky, difficult, and disrespectful.

I would tell him: I have been catering to you for awhile - asking you what you would like me to cook for you - and as you know, it has not worked out. I want to live a happy life, in peace, without strife, so from now on, I will be shopping and cooking for myself (and my son) and you can do the same for yourself, so you can finally get the cuisine that suits your fancy.

If you would like to go to couples counseling to look into this issue further, let me know.

Bon Appetit!

Old 05-10-2018, 11:58 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoidd View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband is a fussy eater, and so does is our son... he probably takes that from his daddy...

It’s becoming a nightmare, we always fight because of food ��

He doesn’t like anything...
I’m French and love food, but he won’t try anything I make, he calls it “weird” food
when I ask him, what do you want to eat? He says Food! So I asked him, which kind of food? He says cooked food. I then says can you be more specific, and here the fight begins, he doesn’t know... I need to pull some kind of food from my hat, but whatever I propose he is either not in a mood for it or doesn’t like it... and then he is upset with me because I’m out of ideas,and he ends up just snacking...

I don’t know what to do with him... he is worst than a child!!!!

The worst is the evening, he doesn’t want to eat at the table, he wants something quick and easy to eat
So I usually make something like Porridge or toasted sandwiches with ham or hotdogs... but Mr is sick of it, and complaining I always cook the same, but in the same time he won’t eat anything!!! It’s hard enough it has to be something he can eat in the sofa

The problem is when I finally found something he likes, he then eats it all the time and gets sick of it!
He used to love wrap with lettuce and breaded chicken, now just seeing a wrap make him nauseous
He used to love spaghetti bolonese, so I did it twice a week, now he won’t eat it, same with omelette

Can you help me find food he might like, and can cook for him
He doesn’t like any kind of cheese, except melted on pizza
He doesn’t like any kind of vegetables, maybe lettuce but only if he has no choice
About potatoes he will only eat them if they are roasted in the oven or if it’s chips / French fries
He hates stew
He won’t eat pasta, except if it’s spaghetti
He can tolerate rice but not more than once a week and, when he will see it he will make this face and say “ewwww”
He is sick of toast too

Do you have any suggestions for me, i’m sick of fighting over food... and i’m 7 month and half pregnant, so I have something else to worry about than food!!!

Thanks
He sounds very childish (often a co-condition found in very fussy eaters). I wouldn't indulge him or enable him - tell him he should feed himself.

EDIT: I see Mr. Magoo said it better already.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:06 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Start attending a birthing class at what used to be dinner time and let Capt big baby fiend for himself for a bit.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:13 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoidd View Post
Thanks for the suggestions
What could I add on the side? I can’t give him fries everyday, he won’t eat veggies...
He hates mashed potatoes, he doesn’t like the texture, but I used my mother recipe it’s so lovely if only he was willing to try...

If only it was this simple, let him cook his own dinner... unfortunately He will get upset... it’s what I did yesterday, I cooked a lovely chicken stew for today, then prepared a raclette cheese with potatoes and ham and mortadella for my supper, I knew he wouldn’t eat it. So I didn’t prepare anything for him. And asked him to make his own dinner, while I was done cooking, tired, it’s a bit of work... seating at the table about to start my supper, he came in the kitchen and said what’s for me? I said I don’t know, pick what you want. And he got upset....
then later on after story time for our son, he came to me saying, he felt sick and it was because of me, I didn’t cook anything for him so he had to eat an entire big bag cheese puffs...
For ease of choices, buy some packaged, seasoned rice or pasta that you just put into boiling water in a pot.
What about packages of scalloped potatoes? or make your own
What about stove top stuffing that comes with it's own seasoning in a box?
Quinoa or barley done in a rice cooker with seasonings and butter?
Garlic bread?
He likes pizza, so what about trying him with tomato basil mozzarella bruschetta?
Bread or potato dumplings with fried onions and bacon?
Frozen pierogies cooked and served with fried onions and bacon?
Tortolinis with tomato or with a white cream sauce?

Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I see it differently. Hubby is probably already upset at having to divide her attention with their son, and now a NEW baby will come along and take up more of her time. He is being childish and petulant in an attempt to get more of her attention - "I'm upset, I need special foods, you don't love me, etc...."

Good luck OP - as a previous poster said, it is not your job to make sure he is not upset. What is he doing to cater to YOU at this time? Hope he is generous with drawing baths, giving foot rubs, and making you feel special.
Yeah right. Somehow I doubt it.

More like the typical whiny big baby. So this poor woman now has two children to deal with and soon to be three

Old 05-10-2018, 12:54 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I do not engage adults who act like children.

Tell me what you want to eat, or eat what I choose to serve.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-10-2018, 12:56 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Cook what you want. They’ll eat when they are hungry enough.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:58 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
"For dinner tonight, you have two choices, take it or leave it."

Old 05-10-2018, 01:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I vote with most everyone else. My dad was the cook in my family and he said "I'm not a short order cook!". Meaning we did not all give him orders of what we wanted - he cooked the meat, potatoes, and veggies - and we ate it! We had to eat at least a spoonful of everything on our plate but didn't have to clean our plate (bad habit that can lead to overating). But there was also very little snacking allowed that made it more likely we'd at least taste new foods and eat our dinner.

Obviously your husband will need slightly different treatment - but he can either cook for himself or get his own takeout or buy his own snacks - don't keep them in the house. Make it as difficult as possible for him. And you can cook a variety of reasonable and healthy foods he can try and hopefully grow to like. But cook for yourself and baby first and foremost.

For the kidlet the rule is you eat what you are served. Now I'm not a jerk, so I do not intentionally make food I know he hates, but I do cook a variety so he may not like something in particular. Rule is you have to at least try something before declaring it off limits.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink