Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 03:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Haven't had a milk shake in quite a while. Used to get some great ones at Steak & Shake. They were made with real ice cream back then. Wonder if they still are.
Steak n Shake flavors their milkshakes with syrups. Its an ice cream base, and then chocolate, banana, strawberry, vanilla, etc. flavored syrup is used based on what shake you order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 03:42 PM

165 posts, read 241,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I have not gone to McDonald's or Wendy's for many years and have never gone to Burger King. Not that any of that matters here. Just my comment. I am going back to the OP and see where the good ones are made with real ice cream. Haven't had a milk shake in quite a while. Used to get some great ones at Steak & Shake. They were made with real ice cream back then. Wonder if they still are.
Steak and shake makes it with syrups too. So does Jack in the box, and even arby's. All these stores actually claim to make shakes with 'real' ice cream or something like that. Steaks and shake, Jack in the box all cost over $3 too.

For the people who say chocolate shakes are meant to be made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup, please do note that we do have chains that make the other ways..i.e. with real chocolate ice cream. So it isn't universal. Using syrups seem to be more like a cost saving strategy and probably everyone got used that way.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:48 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I don't know about the others, but McDonalds shakes don't start with vanilla soft serve, and they haven't for more than 30 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
McDonalds is prevaricating. They don't use soft serve in their shakes. They use a "base" that may be the same thing (or fundamentally the same thing), but they are not taking actual soft serve, and then creating shakes from it.
Well, you'd better contact them right away to tell them that you are right and they are wrong.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/p...ake-small.html

But yes, as a matter of fact, they do use actual soft serve and then add flavored syrups to make shakes. This is a fairly recent thing, before that they did use a shake base and machines that dispensed pre-made chocolate and vanilla shakes.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post

For the people who say chocolate shakes are meant to be made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup, please do note that we do have chains that make the other ways..i.e. with real chocolate ice cream. So it isn't universal. Using syrups seem to be more like a cost saving strategy and probably everyone got used that way.
I don't think it's a cost saving strategy. I was making shakes in the early 70s in high school and we made it that way then. As far as I know, diners and drive-ins made them that way in the 50s too.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Oh dear, how sad are the problems of the Western world?

Don't look now, sourpuss, but this is a food forum. Yeesh.

And OP--I agree with you. I want chocolate ice cream in my chocolate milkskake! The only places I ever get them at, though, are local ice cream parlors, so I order my shakes with chocolate ice cream. And no chocolate syrup. I hate vanilla ice cream, anyway, but I can't believe some places think vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup equals a chocolate milkshake.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:18 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I like them made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Chocolate ice cream is a little bitter to my taste.

Aren't all shakes made with vanilla ice cream plus flavored syrup?
I am a confirmed chocoholic, but I do not care for chocolate ice cream.

When I have the rare milkshake I too want it made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:34 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think it's a cost saving strategy. I was making shakes in the early 70s in high school and we made it that way then. As far as I know, diners and drive-ins made them that way in the 50s too.

I worked at the Jersey shore in the late '60s and we made them with that little green machine with the stainless containers that got all frosty when it was mixing. I had customers who wanted all chocolate, all vanilla, or vanilla syrup/chocolate ice cream or vice versa. Easy to do when you're not using some packaged/flavored base and it kept everyone happy.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
I absolutely hate when chocolate shakes are made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. McDonald's, burger king.. everyone seems to be making that way. I need to go either to local home made ice cream shops or some specific restaurants like Dennys, Red robin etc if need the chocolate shake made purely with chocolate ice cream. Why chocolate shakes are made that way? Why can't chocolate shakes be made with chocolate ice cream? After all they are 'chocolate' shakes.

Also any recommendations for the places that sell good chocolate shakes? Currently sticking to baskin robbins, but that's too pricey. $5 for small shake.
Short answer: Because you cant make a vanilla shake with chocolate ice cream, and restaurants have limited space for storage and it is more difficult to make sure you order both if you can only order vanilla and add chocolate to it

Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
I absolutely hate when chocolate shakes are made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. McDonald's, burger king.. everyone seems to be making that way. I need to go either to local home made ice cream shops or some specific restaurants like Dennys, Red robin etc if need the chocolate shake made purely with chocolate ice cream. Why chocolate shakes are made that way? Why can't chocolate shakes be made with chocolate ice cream? After all they are 'chocolate' shakes.

Also any recommendations for the places that sell good chocolate shakes? Currently sticking to baskin robbins, but that's too pricey. $5 for small shake.
Umm, you know that chocolate ice cream itself is made from vanilla ice cream, don't you? It's vanilla ice cream with chocolate thrown in.

Fact.

You **can't** make a chocolate milk shake without using vanilla ice cream. No one on the planet does, or ever has.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I've always preferred a black & white shake myself although I do know plenty of people who ordered chocolate with chocolate ice cream when that was an option. But usually that is limited to ice cream shops and other places that carry a larger assortment of ice cream flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink