Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:20 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times

Advertisements

I don't think I've ever seen frozen Brussel's sprouts in the freezer section of a store. I've certainly never tried any.

That being said, I love fresh B. sprouts. I slice mine in half, lay them cut-side-up in a flat pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with S&P, garlic powder and onion powder. I roast them in the toaster oven for 20 - 30 minutes until the top turns brownish and the outer leaves get crispy. Yummy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 10:45 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
I mix mine with bacon. Bacon makes everything taste good.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:52 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
First, everyone who's checking in to say how much they hate Brussels sprouts is thanked and excused. We know.

I happen to love them, and despite being slightly more difficult to make than some other fresh veggies will grab some any time they're reasonably priced. (I also know the Secret to cooking them right...)

I now cook for one or two most meals, down from being an army chef for up to eight, and so I am trying some things I formerly passed on. Last night, with a nice little steak, I went past the frozen veggie case and thought I'd try something different from my usual standbys (peas, peas and when not peas, cauliflower mix). So I grabbed a bag of sprouts. (The fresh veggies were at the far, far end of the store... too far to go.)

They were horrible - the rubber-tasting "stinking green balls of hell" the haters spew on about. I ended up throwing out most of them. They were smallish, not overgrown; they looked perfectly good both in the pot (I don't use steamer bags or the microwave for veggies, preferring stove-top steaming for control) and on the plate, but they were one of the nastiest things I've eaten in a while.

My question is, why? Does freezing change them? Were they a different strain or variety from what we buy fresh? Did (very slight) overcooking bring out their worst? Are there better and worse frozen brands?

Everything I've ever read has said the 'fresh' ones that had been through a frost while on the stalk are the best, I'd guess freezing picked ones has a different affect.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:58 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,716 times
I'm going to be in the minority here, but I do indeed like frozen Brussels sprouts -- though I could see where dressing them up with a few extra garnishes would broaden their appeal. Not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but okay by me.

But then again, I like most all veggies with the exception of kale and peas.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:01 AM

430 posts, read 335,391 times
Quote:
Second this. Big bag, very few discards or iffy ones, keep well for a week or ten days and inexpensive. Can't say that about all Sam's produce, thass fer sure...

Um... what's the difference between "frozen" and "steam bag ones"?
Honestly, I don't know. I just know I got a big ole frozen bag from costco and didn't even finish the few I boiled. Never had this problem with the steam bags...

Old 05-25-2018, 11:26 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I'm going to be in the minority here, but I do indeed like frozen Brussels sprouts -- though I could see where dressing them up with a few extra garnishes would broaden their appeal. Not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but okay by me.
Well, either some people like that taste of slightly burned rubber, or frozen ones vary a lot. I'll go with the latter.

This thread has made me think that Bsprouts (not to be confused with Bscouts) are the tilapia of vegetables - only edible when buried/drowned/infused with strong flavorings and roasted/baked to bring out their innate flavor.

Doesn't anyone like them just as they are, steamed to just-tender, with or without a little butter or other light seasoning?

Old 05-25-2018, 11:44 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Well, either some people like that taste of slightly burned rubber, or frozen ones vary a lot. I'll go with the latter.

This thread has made me think that Bsprouts (not to be confused with Bscouts) are the tilapia of vegetables - only edible when buried/drowned/infused with strong flavorings and roasted/baked to bring out their innate flavor.

Doesn't anyone like them just as they are, steamed to just-tender, with or without a little butter or other light seasoning?

I like them with just butter

I eat the frozen ones. The "baby' ones in a specific brand. I never buy store brand frozen vegetables, although I would probably try Trader Joes' if there was one near.

I steam them until they are soft but not mushy.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:15 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
We roast fresh ones halved on a sheet pan (400 degrees or so) tossed with olive oil, salt/pepper, and garlic. We like them to blacken/brown up some so watch for that if you like. It takes 20-30 minutes depending on oven etc.

There are many recipes with variations similar to this on the Internet.

I will admit (when pressed for time) we've steamed frozen packages a couple times and found them edible. Maybe toss them in something you like to dress 'em up a bit. Maybe butter/lemon, or the garlic as above etc.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:13 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:

I love them, but they certainly do vary a lot when frozen. For whatever reason the seasoned steam bags are definitely better than just plain old frozen brussel sprouts IMO. I have a totally made up theory that maybe there is less water involved in the freezing process so it's less likely to produce the mushy end result that seems to be more common with the less expensive bags.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:19 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,499 times
I roast them in olive oil, garlic salt, and parmesan cheese. When done, I drizzle balsamic glaze on them. So good. My kids love them like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink