Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:51 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I love them, and just eat them plain.

But a bag can run 9 bucks, at least. It seems shoppers at two ends of the spectrum are the ones around here who just grab a bag and go, without weighing them.
Yes, definitely not for the budget minded. Also if the cherries are not smooth and glossy they are crap. If the surface is kinda faceted or rough, watch out, try some first.

The food supply is crap with a lot of the produce. Apricots are like tasteless rubber and peaches are absolute ****. They pick em green, buff off the fuzz and they rot before they ripen.

Dairy is bad as well. Some stores store the dairy in the aisles and the ice cream gets all melted. Jesus, in L.A., back in the 60's we would pick the fruit off the trees in the alley and even the green fruit tasted good. Up in Fresno we would get shopping bags of white Babcock peaches...magnificent. Now the fruit is all *****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 04:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I got a small bag today that said California Cherries at $2.99/lb. Hope they're good! Some are still red, but there are a bunch of the smooth, firm dark ones I love.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:19 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I got a small bag today that said California Cherries at $2.99/lb. Hope they're good! Some are still red, but there are a bunch of the smooth, firm dark ones I love.

LOL $2.99/lb is a bargain. Here, they're $5.99/lb, and there's NO WAY I'll be paying 15 bucks for a bag of cherries. I'll wait, as I always do, until the price is reasonable--and they're just as delicious.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I bought some for $2.99/lb. at my local chain. JUST AWFUL. Some were already rotten (I threw a lot out). The others have no flavor. As I tongue the dregs from between my teeth, what I taste is something closer to celery than cherries. They were probably $2.99/lb. because the store was desperate to get rid of them after they didn't sell at 5.99/lb. For the purists among us, the receipt says "Bing cherries."

I'm returning them tomorrow.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:44 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I bought some for $2.99/lb. at my local chain. JUST AWFUL. Some were already rotten (I threw a lot out). The others have no flavor. As I tongue the dregs from between my teeth, what I taste is something closer to celery than cherries. They were probably $2.99/lb. because the store was desperate to get rid of them after they didn't sell at 5.99/lb. For the purists among us, the receipt says "Bing cherries."

That's a shame.....keep looking wouldn't want you to miss out on good cherries!

Old 06-03-2018, 11:33 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL $2.99/lb is a bargain. Here, they're $5.99/lb, and there's NO WAY I'll be paying 15 bucks for a bag of cherries. I'll wait, as I always do, until the price is reasonable--and they're just as delicious.

I'm happy to report that my $2.99/lb cherries were absolutely delicious!

The non-sale price around here is definitely $5.99 - $7.99/lb.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:48 PM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
I am still waiting for a cherry sale.They are now in the stores but sill sell for $4.48 a lb,so I am patiently waiting for a lesser price.Also they don't look that tempting yet.Sigh....

Old 06-03-2018, 01:53 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I am still waiting for a cherry sale.They are now in the stores but sill sell for $4.48 a lb,so I am patiently waiting for a lesser price.Also they don't look that tempting yet.Sigh....

This week they've been far too bright red for my taste, if there's some decently ripe looking ones this week I'm afraid they're coming home with me no matter the cost.

It's June! I NEED cherries!

Old 06-03-2018, 02:11 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post

Ugh! What a disappointment! At least you can take them back, but that's not much in the way of consolation when you had your heart set on some good cherries.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:02 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm happy to report that my $2.99/lb cherries were absolutely delicious!

The non-sale price around here is definitely $5.99 - $7.99/lb.

LOL I've never had bad cherries, either. And these won't be old cherries that won't sell due to price. They'll be more abundant, so the price will reflect that.

I do the same thing with corn on the cob, too, but for a different reason--I like it, but it doesn't like me (if you know what I mean). So although I buy it for others, I don't indulge, myself, until around early August. That way, I can still enjoy it. It's a good thing I don't need instant gratification!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink