Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:34 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times

Advertisements

My dad's been an alcoholic for decades, and when I'm at my parents' house for dinner when he's cooking he makes everything INCREDIBLY salty, sometimes oppressively so. His alcohol use has deadened his sense of taste, so as a result he tends to dump large amounts of salt into whatever he's cooking. He's done it for years. He can't for the life of himself figure out why I need to wash down almost every bite (gee, I wonder why) and as a kid he even used to resort to taking away my glass of water or milk until the meal is finished, a decidedly odd (and borderline abusive) behavior pattern he learned from his mother, a drinker and pack-a-day smoker for nearly 60 years until lung cancer fixed that.

I don't know how that can be good for his blood pressure, in addition to the other damage he's done to his body with his drinking, but there you have it. Usually my heart's racing (and not just from the stress of dealing with my parents!) and I'm drinking water for hours afterward.

Last edited by Ttark; 05-31-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 08:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
My dad's been an alcoholic for decades, and when I'm at my parents' house for dinner when he's cooking he makes everything INCREDIBLY salty, sometimes oppressively so. His alcohol use has deadened his sense of taste, so as a result he tends to dump large amounts of salt into whatever he's cooking. He's done it for years. He can't for the life of himself figure out why I need to wash down almost every bite (gee, I wonder why) and as a kid he even used to resort to taking away my glass of water or milk until the meal is finished, a decidedly odd (and borderline abusive) behavior pattern he learned from his mother, a drinker and pack-a-day smoker for nearly 60 years until lung cancer fixed that.

I don't know how that can be good for his blood pressure, in addition to the other damage he's done to his body with his drinking, but there you have it. Usually my heart's racing (and not just from the stress of dealing with my parents!) and I'm drinking water for hours afterward.
Interesting comment. I have never heard any reference to alcohol and consumption of salt. As we age our senses including taste are deadened. So although you are right, your father's drinking is not good for his health or that of his family but I am not sure that is the reason he uses so much salt.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:21 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I have read many, many articles suggesting that the link between salt and high blood pressure is mostly a myth. Here's one of them: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-war-on-salt/

I like salt, although certainly some foods can be and are too salty. I don't know how much of it I eat, but I'm not like the people mentioned who have to put salt on everything so I'm not worried I'm getting too much.

I use kosher salt while I'm cooking because I think it's easier to control the amount than with table salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink