Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:36 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times

Advertisements

I've traveled the entire country, and I don't think I have ever seen a grape pie advertised or for sale. Yet there are recipes on the net; researching this subject (just prior to posting) I googled and found "Grape Pie" recipes, and there are plenty of pie recipes that use raisins.

Grapes are a sweet fruits and the only other fruits I know of that are not in pies are citrus.

Is there something about grapes that does not lend to bulk or national pie making? Do they taste too sweet?

What's the deal with grape pies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
I've never heard of this.

They probably don't hold up well in a pie crust. Might work better in a cobbler.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:17 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I've traveled the entire country, and I don't think I have ever seen a grape pie advertised or for sale. Yet there are recipes on the net; researching this subject (just prior to posting) I googled and found "Grape Pie" recipes, and there are plenty of pie recipes that use raisins.

Grapes are a sweet fruits and the only other fruits I know of that are not in pies are citrus.

Is there something about grapes that does not lend to bulk or national pie making? Do they taste too sweet?

Ever heard of lemon meringue pie or key lime pie? I think my wife has made grape pie.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:51 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
It's the water content, plus the seeds/skins. The grapes that might make a good pie have seeds and must be skinned, split and seeded. Seedless grapes don't have enough flavor and pectin to make the skinning of them worthwhile. If you went to all that trouble, then you'd have to cook down the grapes by about 2/3rds to get to a point where your filling *might* set up. Oh, and the color. Without the skins, the grape meat of the flavorful, seeded grapes is a rather unappetizing gray-green.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:05 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Grape tarte, yes but not much flavor.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:07 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:

Seach “Muscadine pie”. I believe they grow in SC. I have ate it several times.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:41 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,471,080 times
Quote:

I have never made a grape pie but I have been meaning to for a long time.
I collect old cookbooks mainly 1900-1950. I love to try a lot of the recipes I find in them. I have run across many for grape pie. They intrigue me and I want to try. Problem is and I am guessing this is why makng grape pie has fallen out of favor, is that are very time consuming and fussy to make.
Grapes need to be de seaded and skins removed. I suppose I could use seedless but I am convinced seedless grapes are inferior.
One of these days I am going to say aside enough time and make me a grape pie!

Last edited by magicshark; 06-05-2018 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect!#@#!

Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Just a question...
Wouldn't a grape pie actually be more of a 'grape jam pie?'

I mean, think of the pectin content, sugars added, etc. It sounds to me it would be like baking grape jam into a pie crust. Just my two cents.

Don't we already have that? Those pop-tart thingys?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:47 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:

. I suspect that there is a problem with the moisture. Grapes are a juice in a thin skin. Bake it and the juice will leak, and saturate the dough.
Probably the same reason why don't you see watermelon cakes...

I ate grape cakes in Poland, but they solved the problem by immersing the grapes in a jello. See picture here:

https://www.mytastepol.com/r/proste-...275719667.html

Old 06-05-2018, 08:50 AM

5,157 posts, read 3,083,950 times
My mother, rest her soul, was famous far and wide for her plum cake. Plums are like extra large grapes, so baking with this type of fruit is possible. The excess water in grapes might be an issue, so why not start with a 50/50 mix of grapes and raisins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink