U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2018, 06:14 PM
 
6,885 posts, read 7,292,401 times
Reputation: 9791

Advertisements

Quote:
I get spices at ethnic grocery stores. They are cheap. Single ingredient.
Yeah, that's what I suspected so when I saw:
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving.....

...in single spice jars...that made me wonder....should just plain cumin, coriander of turmeric have ANY sodium in it? Period?
I have to admit I have more confidence in the McCormacks I bought today. I don't buy spices that often so I may just have to accept the prices. I also liked the Spice Island items I saw, I bought the snipped chives, which don't just look like dried 'flakes."

As for the Penzey's what up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2018, 06:15 PM
 
6,625 posts, read 3,756,268 times
Reputation: 13703
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is this what I get for trying to go cheap?.....

I'm not suppose to have added salt/sodium, and never thought they'd be in a "spice."

Some SWAD (supposedly product of India) spices -- 7 oz for 1.99 -- I bought at an Indian store had this listed on the labels....some of these are not just "tase amounts"

-- Garam Masala -- 192 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (No garam Masala ingredient list I saw online had "salt" in it. THIS ONE does. And "sodium sulfate"
-- Madras Curry -- 415 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (also lists "salt" as an ingredient)
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving

So I may be going back to more expensive spices. Not that McCormak needs any more of my money, but they do say they have quality controls in place. And source from the best suppliers.

I haven't used Penzey's yet, but they're on my list to check out.

So is this just my lesson learned about cheap spices...or cheap spices are OK.
I have bought cheap spices like Spice Time an Spice Classics before at the dollar store and Walmart -- dill, parsley, cinnamon, Italian seasonings, thyme etc .... -- and never noticed this "sodium issue."

Maybe it just depends on what you buy....
If salt or something high in sodium was added to the spice, it would be listed in the "ingredients." What you are listing is nutritional information, where the sodium may be from being added, or it may occur naturally in the spice. Many plants contain sodium.

An apple contains 2mg of sodium and .3mg fat, for example. And of course 19g of sugar. Nothing added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,701 posts, read 20,001,474 times
Reputation: 45760
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If salt or something high in sodium was added to the spice, it would be listed in the "ingredients." What you are listing is nutritional information, where the sodium may be from being added, or it may occur naturally in the spice. Many plants contain sodium.

An apple contains 2mg of sodium and .3mg fat, for example. And of course 19g of sugar. Nothing added.
Yep!
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
12,278 posts, read 12,520,484 times
Reputation: 19441
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I get spices at ethnic grocery stores. They are cheap. Single ingredient.

Usually packaged in clear plastic rather than bottles.

Grocery stores that cater in customers from India, Mexico, etc.
I shop in the Mexican food section before I buy spices anywhere else. El Guapo has the best black peppercorns I have ever found, for a fraction of the cost of McCormick or Schilling. They have a half a dozen different chili powders of varying heat. If you like hot chili, try chili pequin or chili arbol. They are packaged in little cellophane packets. None of them have salt added, though all living things contain some sodium.

I generally don't buy prepared spices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
12,278 posts, read 12,520,484 times
Reputation: 19441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I selected Cumin (randomly) and looked it up, it naturally contains sodium.
All living things contain sodium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 PM
 
38,242 posts, read 14,949,076 times
Reputation: 24655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I shop in the Mexican food section before I buy spices anywhere else. El Guapo has the best black peppercorns I have ever found, for a fraction of the cost of McCormick or Schilling. They have a half a dozen different chili powders of varying heat. If you like hot chili, try chili pequin or chili arbol. They are packaged in little cellophane packets. None of them have salt added, though all living things contain some sodium.

I generally don't buy prepared spices.
That's what I do.

I was trying out various types of chilis a year or so ago. Before that it was spices from an Indian grocery store.

The cellophane packets can be quite large, so if I run across something I am not interested in after tasting it, I just pass it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 PM
 
6,625 posts, read 3,756,268 times
Reputation: 13703
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Unless it's a spice blend and would normally call for salt, i.e. Steak Spice, it should not contain salt period.

That being said, Garam Masala should not contain salt, neither should Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, not sure about Madras Curry but I've made curries before and they don't call for salt. Some of the spices may contain a small amount of sodium but salt should not be one of the ingredients.

So I would find another source.

I rarely buy spice blends , prefer to make them myself. I also grind my own Cumin and Coriander from seed. Turmeric, I buy from an Indian grocery and it contains nothing except Turmeric. I also buy some spices online in bulk.

Here's a recipe for Garam Masala and I see no salt. It should be pretty close to authenic.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14...-garam-masala/
The OP said the spices had sodium. Not salt. She was looking at the nutrition info, not ingredients.

Yes, spices may have sodium as part of hteir natural makeup, like any other plant or naturally grown food. Pure Turmeric has sodium in it, naturally. And fat. And protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 10:09 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
38,032 posts, read 55,833,861 times
Reputation: 89822
Here is a list of spices high in sodium
https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...ontain-sodium/

Here is a list of 25 sodium free seasoning blends.
https://www.spicesinc.com/p-4255-top...ng-blends.aspx

And here is a list of spices and dishes high in sodium AND acceptable substitutes:
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/sodiumckd

Shop accordingly.
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Middle America
36,669 posts, read 41,959,223 times
Reputation: 50555
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is this what I get for trying to go cheap?.....

I'm not suppose to have added salt/sodium, and never thought they'd be in a "spice."

Some SWAD (supposedly product of India) spices -- 7 oz for 1.99 -- I bought at an Indian store had this listed on the labels....some of these are not just "tase amounts"

-- Garam Masala -- 192 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (No garam Masala ingredient list I saw online had "salt" in it. THIS ONE does. And "sodium sulfate"
-- Madras Curry -- 415 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (also lists "salt" as an ingredient)
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving

So I may be going back to more expensive spices. Not that McCormak needs any more of my money, but they do say they have quality controls in place. And source from the best suppliers.

I haven't used Penzey's yet, but they're on my list to check out.

So is this just my lesson learned about cheap spices...or cheap spices are OK.
I have bought cheap spices like Spice Time an Spice Classics before at the dollar store and Walmart -- dill, parsley, cinnamon, Italian seasonings, thyme etc .... -- and never noticed this "sodium issue."

Maybe it just depends on what you buy....
The issue is likely that much of what you are buying are not "spices," per se, they are seasoning blends. Curry powder and garam masala are seasoning blends comprised of a variety of ingredients.

If you want to use blends and need to be sodium free, look for ones specifically labeled as salt-free blends. Penzeys is among the companies that clearly labels their salt-free blends. And if you get straight spices and herbs, they most of the time will not have sodium added. But, as others have mentioned, many substances have naturally occurring sodium. I believe what you're looking for as avoiding sodium additives, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2018, 08:41 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,571 posts, read 2,395,608 times
Reputation: 4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The OP said the spices had sodium. Not salt. She was looking at the nutrition info, not ingredients.

Yes, spices may have sodium as part of hteir natural makeup, like any other plant or naturally grown food. Pure Turmeric has sodium in it, naturally. And fat. And protein.
What's your point? I did say "Some of the spices may contain a small amount of sodium but salt should not be one of the ingredients."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top