U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2018, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
12,248 posts, read 12,499,482 times
Reputation: 19388

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
What's your point? I did say "Some of the spices may contain a small amount of sodium but salt should not be one of the ingredients."
The OP was concerned about 2 mg. of sodium, not salt. For dietetic reasons, total sodium and potassium may be carefully measured, but "No Salt Added" does not mean no sodium. Sodium and potassium are soluble light metals that are essential for the operation of the kidneys. For most people, the kidneys maintain a balance of electrolytes in the blood stream, but some people's kidneys do not function well, which can lead to high blood pressure. For most people, laying off the salt shaker (less sodium) and eating a few bananas (more potassium) is all that is required. For people in partial kidney failure, tracking total sodium intake can be important. All foods, not just spices, contain natural amounts of sodium. I just looked at a can of No Salt Added cut green beans. They contain 15 mg. of sodium per serving, 3.5 servings per can. If anyone managed to eliminate all sodium from their diet, it would kill them.

As an aside, for years I have been using "Lite Salt" as a seasoning. It's half sodium chloride and half potassium chloride. In environments where you sweat a couple gallons of water a day, balanced electrolytes help avoid water toxicity. When I encounter straight sodium chloride, it tastes excessively salty to me. A taste for too much salt is an acquired taste that can be broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 AM
 
6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
Reputation: 9786
Quote:
I selected Cumin (randomly) and looked it up, it naturally contains sodium.
Quote:
An apple contains 2mg of sodium and .3mg fat, for example. And of course 19g of sugar. Nothing added.
Thanks to all.
That gives me a guidepost to compare, and get an idea of how much "natural sodium" is a little -- vs -- a lot.

Maybe because the spices were imported they had to have the nutrition label??
Because McCormack (and Trader Joe's) cumin, coriander, and turmeric do not have nutritional labels.
That's why seeing sodium listed threw me for a bit of a loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,631 posts, read 6,612,938 times
Reputation: 12067
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Unless it's a spice blend and would normally call for salt, i.e. Steak Spice, it should not contain salt period.

That being said, Garam Masala should not contain salt, neither should Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, not sure about Madras Curry but I've made curries before and they don't call for salt. Some of the spices may contain a small amount of sodium but salt should not be one of the ingredients.

So I would find another source.

I rarely buy spice blends , prefer to make them myself. I also grind my own Cumin and Coriander from seed. Turmeric, I buy from an Indian grocery and it contains nothing except Turmeric. I also buy some spices online in bulk.

Here's a recipe for Garam Masala and I see no salt. It should be pretty close to authenic.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14...-garam-masala/
Same here. I can buy cumin and coriander seed in large bags for pretty cheap at Indian stores. I parch them and then grind them myself when I need to use them. Turmeric I buy in large bags from the same store, and they contain only turmeric. It should not have anything else in it. I have found that Indian stores sell it for MUCH MUCH cheaper than standard grocery stores.
Also, I never buy curry powder. It is so easy to make, and the pre-made ones just don't taste the way I want them to -- same with any other spice blends. I'm not a fan of them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM
 
6,616 posts, read 3,746,469 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
What's your point? I did say "Some of the spices may contain a small amount of sodium but salt should not be one of the ingredients."
The point was that she was not listing the ingredients. She was looking at nutrition information.

So your statement "salt should not be one of the ingredients" isn't the case with the OP, as far as we know. She was listing nutrition information, which will state amount of naturally occurring sodium, fat, protein, etc.

I took your post to mean that you thought she was listing ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2018, 05:44 PM
 
20,740 posts, read 13,749,199 times
Reputation: 14404
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is this what I get for trying to go cheap?.....

I'm not suppose to have added salt/sodium, and never thought they'd be in a "spice."

Some SWAD (supposedly product of India) spices -- 7 oz for 1.99 -- I bought at an Indian store had this listed on the labels....some of these are not just "tase amounts"

-- Garam Masala -- 192 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (No garam Masala ingredient list I saw online had "salt" in it. THIS ONE does. And "sodium sulfate"
-- Madras Curry -- 415 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (also lists "salt" as an ingredient)
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving

So I may be going back to more expensive spices. Not that McCormak needs any more of my money, but they do say they have quality controls in place. And source from the best suppliers.

I haven't used Penzey's yet, but they're on my list to check out.

So is this just my lesson learned about cheap spices...or cheap spices are OK.
I have bought cheap spices like Spice Time an Spice Classics before at the dollar store and Walmart -- dill, parsley, cinnamon, Italian seasonings, thyme etc .... -- and never noticed this "sodium issue."

Maybe it just depends on what you buy....

Turmeric naturally contains a certain amount of sodium: Turmeric (Haldi) Nutrition Facts - Health Benefits, Nutritional Value & Calories


Indeed so do many other spices; that is just how mother nature rolls; sodium is one of the most commonly found elements in humans, plants, animals and so forth. Life as we know it would cease to exist without the stuff. Heck the oceans of world are full of sodium. https://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrie..._and_spices/1/


Key to cooking with herbs/spices and dealing with salt is to learn how to use in amounts that bring out flavor but also reduce and or remove need to add sodium on its own.


Always have purchased either pure spices or blends that do not contain added salt. However am aware certain things have a sodium content naturally so take that into account when cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2018, 06:28 PM
 
6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
Reputation: 9786
Quote:
Always have purchased either pure spices or blends that do not contain added salt. However am aware certain things have a sodium content naturally so take that into account when cooking.
Anyone know why would one brand have a nutrition label and sodium listed....and not other brands?

Could it be that imported brands have to label, and domestics don't?
Or perhaps trace amounts that occur naturally in the spice don't have to be listed? (because in that case, it isn't an "ingredient.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Reputation: 41755
I have never thought to check the nutritional or sodium in my spices. I do check the salt prior to using if I am planning on using salt as well. As for cheap, we do buy our spices at a little store that used to be run by Amish. Now it has been sold but they still carry the same spices. They are very inexpensive so I love to buy them. This way, I don't mind if I have to toss them in 6 months because they have lost their strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 07:41 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,549 posts, read 2,386,740 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

The point was that she was not listing the ingredients. She was looking at nutrition information.

So your statement "salt should not be one of the ingredients" isn't the case with the OP, as far as we know. She was listing nutrition information, which will state amount of naturally occurring sodium, fat, protein, etc.

I took your post to mean that you thought she was listing ingredients.
Really? Let me quote part of the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
-- Garam Masala -- 192 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (No garam Masala ingredient list I saw online had "salt" in it. THIS ONE does. And "sodium sulfate"
-- Madras Curry -- 415 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (also lists "salt" as an ingredient)
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
He/She WAS looking at the the ingredients as well as the nutrition information as far as I can see. I did actually read the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,672 posts, read 28,709,830 times
Reputation: 43707
OP, I notice that several of the spice blends that I have bought for years are now containing a lot less spice and a lot more salt.

I assume it is because spices can be high priced and salt is cheap. It's either to hold the price line or to increase profits. I've had to stop buying those products because in order to get the spice flavor, the food becomes too salty to eat.

Reading labels can help, but it doesn't always indicate a change in proportions of ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 11:44 AM
 
6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
Reputation: 9786
I'm just bumping this up to remind myself not to buy cheap spices. But then again, price isn't always reflective of quality.
Right?

This came up today because I was at the Dollar Tree store and was tempted to buy their cilantro -- about 4 oz for a dollar. You can't beat that with a stick. But something in me just said "this cilantro CAN'T be flavorful, it just can't be." Same for the parsley and dill. That said, even the spices I bought when I was being cheap and bought spices at Aldi -- didn't "look" as nice as McCormick or Spice Island spices -- which of course, cost much more. But, can SOME spices be any good there? Garlic powder? Ginger?

Or would you not be caught dead buying spices at the dollar store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top