U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:59 PM

22,260 posts, read 14,612,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is this what I get for trying to go cheap?.....

I'm not suppose to have added salt/sodium, and never thought they'd be in a "spice."

Some SWAD (supposedly product of India) spices -- 7 oz for 1.99 -- I bought at an Indian store had this listed on the labels....some of these are not just "tase amounts"

-- Garam Masala -- 192 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (No garam Masala ingredient list I saw online had "salt" in it. THIS ONE does. And "sodium sulfate"
-- Madras Curry -- 415 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (also lists "salt" as an ingredient)
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving

So I may be going back to more expensive spices. Not that McCormak needs any more of my money, but they do say they have quality controls in place. And source from the best suppliers.

I haven't used Penzey's yet, but they're on my list to check out.

So is this just my lesson learned about cheap spices...or cheap spices are OK.
I have bought cheap spices like Spice Time an Spice Classics before at the dollar store and Walmart -- dill, parsley, cinnamon, Italian seasonings, thyme etc .... -- and never noticed this "sodium issue."

Maybe it just depends on what you buy....
Buy Penzeys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 04:42 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,750,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is a list of spices high in sodium
https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...ontain-sodium/

Here is a list of 25 sodium free seasoning blends.
https://www.spicesinc.com/p-4255-top...ng-blends.aspx

And here is a list of spices and dishes high in sodium AND acceptable substitutes:
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/sodiumckd

Shop accordingly.
Good post elnina. Very helpful

Old 11-19-2018, 06:53 AM

15,143 posts, read 19,188,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Buy Penzeys.
And enjoy the political spam the owner of the company will send you.

Quote:
I'm just bumping this up to remind myself not to buy cheap spices. But then again, price isn't always reflective of quality.
Right?

This came up today because I was at the Dollar Tree store and was tempted to buy their cilantro -- about 4 oz for a dollar. You can't beat that with a stick. But something in me just said "this cilantro CAN'T be flavorful, it just can't be." Same for the parsley and dill. That said, even the spices I bought when I was being cheap and bought spices at Aldi -- didn't "look" as nice as McCormick or Spice Island spices -- which of course, cost much more. But, can SOME spices be any good there? Garlic powder? Ginger?

Or would you not be caught dead buying spices at the dollar store?
Ironically, this thread convinced me to try some of the cheap spices at the Hispanic grocery store. The smaller quantities were attractive, too (and may somewhat account for the cheaper prices.)

I'm happy with them. The bay leaf is probably better tasting than others I've purchased (which is good because it's not one of my favorites). The oregano was excellent - very fresh. I'm thinking that generally the turnover is faster than at the regular grocers.

Some spices weren't there. Dill. Garam masala. Not really surprising.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 11-19-2018 at 07:05 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 09:04 AM

22,260 posts, read 14,612,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And enjoy the political spam the owner of the company will send you.

Ironically, this thread convinced me to try some of the cheap spices at the Hispanic grocery store. The smaller quantities were attractive, too (and may somewhat account for the cheaper prices.)

I'm happy with them. The bay leaf is probably better tasting than others I've purchased (which is good because it's not one of my favorites). The oregano was excellent - very fresh. I'm thinking that generally the turnover is faster than at the regular grocers.

Some spices weren't there. Dill. Garam masala. Not really surprising.
I have bought packets of herbs in the Hispanic section of WINCO, and I thought they were fine. I donít care for storing packets much, but the product was fine.

I have access to a Penzeys store, so I donít see the catalog that often anymore. But lately Bill has been doing stuff like supporting teachers, I thought. At any rate, for spice blends and hot chocolate mix, they have the best Iíve found.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:34 AM

14,323 posts, read 24,121,131 times
I have been buying nearly all of my spices in bulk at Winco Foods. They carry MOST of my needs and the product is fresh.

When they do not have the product I need, I usually find it at Sprouts or World Market.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:48 PM

22,143 posts, read 27,459,818 times
Quote:
I'm just bumping this up to remind myself not to buy cheap spices. But then again, price isn't always reflective of quality.
Right?

This came up today because I was at the Dollar Tree store and was tempted to buy their cilantro -- about 4 oz for a dollar. You can't beat that with a stick. But something in me just said "this cilantro CAN'T be flavorful, it just can't be." Same for the parsley and dill. That said, even the spices I bought when I was being cheap and bought spices at Aldi -- didn't "look" as nice as McCormick or Spice Island spices -- which of course, cost much more. But, can SOME spices be any good there? Garlic powder? Ginger?

Or would you not be caught dead buying spices at the dollar store?
I've gotten some very good herbs & spices cheaply & paid the high price for some that's not so good. If it looks tired, skip it.

That said, Badia is a bit less than McCormick & is just as good & sometimes better. Badia is being carried in more & more regular grocery stores but frequently they don't carry the whole line. Hispanic grocery stores usually carry the whole line. I've occasionally gotten some basic herbs & spices at Aldi and had no complaints. I do look for an ingredient list, on the label regardless of brand or price.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:18 PM

1,455 posts, read 694,089 times
Cheap spices are cheap for a reason. I remember watching 60 minutes years ago, where they had a segment about spices. I never bought cheap spices again, after seeing what goes in to them. You can google buying cheap spices, and read what can be in them.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:21 PM

27,092 posts, read 6,058,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Cheap spices are cheap for a reason. I remember watching 60 minutes years ago, where they had a segment about spices. I never bought cheap spices again, after seeing what goes in to them. You can google buying cheap spices, and read what can be in them.

Saw this too....very odd things were found in cheaper spices...not good.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:30 PM

8,378 posts, read 11,207,693 times
I always check out the "Hispanic" section when I'm in the market for spices. Always cheaper. The only drawback is that they package them in clear plastic rather than the little jars (which I can do without).

Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,275,108 times
Quote:
Is this what I get for trying to go cheap?.....

I'm not suppose to have added salt/sodium, and never thought they'd be in a "spice."

Some SWAD (supposedly product of India) spices -- 7 oz for 1.99 -- I bought at an Indian store had this listed on the labels....some of these are not just "tase amounts"

-- Garam Masala -- 192 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (No garam Masala ingredient list I saw online had "salt" in it. THIS ONE does. And "sodium sulfate"
-- Madras Curry -- 415 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (also lists "salt" as an ingredient)
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving

So I may be going back to more expensive spices. Not that McCormak needs any more of my money, but they do say they have quality controls in place. And source from the best suppliers.

I haven't used Penzey's yet, but they're on my list to check out.

So is this just my lesson learned about cheap spices...or cheap spices are OK.
I have bought cheap spices like Spice Time an Spice Classics before at the dollar store and Walmart -- dill, parsley, cinnamon, Italian seasonings, thyme etc .... -- and never noticed this "sodium issue."

Maybe it just depends on what you buy....
I get everything at Penzye's now. They have an endless ammount of salt free spices and blends that are all great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink