U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 10:39 AM

22,143 posts, read 27,459,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I always check out the "Hispanic" section when I'm in the market for spices. Always cheaper. The only drawback is that they package them in clear plastic rather than the little jars (which I can do without).
Most of the Badia spices are in glass jars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 07:05 AM

15,143 posts, read 19,188,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, I wonder how much of the cost is that glass bottle. I'm happy taking the cheap plastic packages and pouring the contents into my own glass bottles. (Except bay leaf. Those stay in the plastic.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Cheap spices are cheap for a reason. I remember watching 60 minutes years ago, where they had a segment about spices. I never bought cheap spices again, after seeing what goes in to them. You can google buying cheap spices, and read what can be in them.
I remember that, too. And DID refresh my memory with google. The reports were from the FDA and tested imported spices.

Cheap or expensive, nearly ALL spices are imported into the US. Those expensive spices are likely just as 'contaminated '.

In any event, the Mexican oregano I used last night made my black bean and rice dinner taste delicious.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 11-22-2018 at 07:25 AM..

Old 11-22-2018, 11:53 PM

36,889 posts, read 42,246,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have bought packets of herbs in the Hispanic section of WINCO, and I thought they were fine. I donít care for storing packets much, but the product was fine.

I have access to a Penzeys store, so I donít see the catalog that often anymore. But lately Bill has been doing stuff like supporting teachers, I thought. At any rate, for spice blends and hot chocolate mix, they have the best Iíve found.
They don't do the catalog anymore. Cheaper to market online. I personally love being on Bill's mailing list, but I do miss the content from the catalog, including the bios of people and their recipes. I live near a store, so I don't order anymore, but I still liked the magazine aspects of the catalog.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:14 AM

1,279 posts, read 325,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Our local groceries only carry Badia spices in plastic containers or little plastic/cellophane packages. Spice Island come in glass jars along with other expensive spices. The spices that we most often use (including the ones I use for BBQ rubs, sauces and mops), I buy in much larger containers at restaurant supply stores. We have jars with magnetic lids that, we store small amounts, on the fridge door and they aren't exposed to direct sun light.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:36 AM

14,188 posts, read 7,586,342 times
My spices are a mix of Penzey’s, Indian grocery store, Asian grocery store, Portuguese grocery store, and supermarket.

Penzey’s larger volume plastic bags are a pretty good value. Their glass jars are expensive.

I’m still in sticker price shock over Penzey’s Madascar double strength vanilla. $90+ per bottle. I’m rationing the last of my current bottle until the price drops some.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Our local groceries only carry Badia spices in plastic containers or little plastic/cellophane packages. Spice Island come in glass jars along with other expensive spices. The spices that we most often use (including the ones I use for BBQ rubs, sauces and mops), I buy in much larger containers at restaurant supply stores. We have jars with magnetic lids that, we store small amounts, on the fridge door and they aren't exposed to direct sun light.
Thanks. The last time that I bought Badia, it was plastic. I just checked & hadn't noticed.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:21 AM

6,963 posts, read 7,372,744 times
OP here.

Are there any spices you would buy at the Dollar Store?
I just can't imagine they're as fresh or potent as, say even, what's available at Walmart.

I picked up a parsley -- just to look at it -- and it even looked different. Maybe it's my prejudice, but it looked like it would add no flavor. I know parsley is dried but other spices I buy, like McCormick and Trader Joe's "look" better. The basil, and OMG the cilantro at the dollar store looked pitiful. But are the looks deceiving are they just as good?

I'm thinking that spices, By the time they get to the Dollar Store -- have GOT to past the 1-2-3 year mark. That's why they were sold to Dollar Trees for pennies on the dollar in the first place, right? Or am I wrong about that?

Also, the large Spices at Aldi's -- like Stone Mill -- which are cheap, would you buy those?

Or if you want good spices, is it best to stick to the major brand names or local ethnic stores with high turnover?

Thanks.

ETA: All the Badia spices I see are in clear plastic containers.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 AM

15,143 posts, read 19,188,303 times
I'm pretty Damned pleased with the Badia spices this thread convinced me to try. (Thank you, selhars, for starting it.)

They are in plastic bags so they can hang on hooks at the grocery store display. I took them out and put them in glass bottles - somewhat carelessly since losing a bit isn't costly).

Best bay leaf EVER. Never been one of my favorites, but I'm using that spice more often for that single reason. The rest are good and "fresh" tasting. (None of the dried herbs taste just like the fresh herbs, IMHO.) But my garlic powder will continue to be the big, large one from Costco.

Fresh cilantro = delicious. ALWAYS in my fridge, used in things where it doesn't seem 'normal.' Dried cilantro = yuck. Sorry, but it shows me why some people find cilantro inedible.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 AM

6,963 posts, read 7,372,744 times
^^ So I take , you wouldn't by spices at Dollar Tree? What about the large size Stone Mills brand at Aldi's?

Old 12-03-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ So I take , you wouldn't by spices at Dollar Tree? What about the large size Stone Mills brand at Aldi's?
I've bought certain specific herbs & spices at Aldi, like ground onion or garlic. They're fine. Lidl has smaller bottles so when an Aldi gets a new Lidl neighbor they get smaller bottles so that the prices are competitive.

The only item that I ever bought at Dollar Tree was black pepper to be added to the radiator of my old car to stop a leak, at the suggestion of 2 mechanics.

If you've been to Ollie's, they usually have herbs & spices. I've gotten a few & had no problem with them. They're usually name brands. They buy overstock, etc so it doesn't concern me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink