Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 06:35 PM

10,583 posts, read 12,000,980 times

Advertisements

I've been to Ollie's but there's never been one really near me. I compare Ollies to Big Lots. Which I also like, but again, there's not one of those near me either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 06:57 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,443,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've been to Ollie's but there's never been one really near me. I compare Ollies to Big Lots. Which I also like, but again, there's not one of those near me either.
I much prefer Ollie's to Big Lots.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 AM

^^ And of course, there's not one of either store in Philly.
(OK strike that, there are 2 Big lots both in the very far northeast.)

Big Lots, Ollie's. Ollie's, Big Lots. I don't go to them often enough to make a distinction.
If ones were close to me, I'd put them on my list of places to go. But they're not. So unless one of them is THE. only. place. to go, there's no draw for me. I don't know that they have anything (other than large case furniture, which I wouldn't buy there anyway) that I might not find at a Dollar General or Family Dollar or Walmart or Target or Ikea -- which are closer to me. But again, IF they were closer, sure I'd put them on my list.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:49 AM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
I strongly prefer Big Lots as the selection is better, the food is less likely to be out of date or short dated, and the selection is generally better. I will stop at Ollie's about once a year when I am back home.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,718,012 times
I haven't noticed sodium content of spices, but we don't restrict ours, anyway.

Given the prices of spices lol, anyway, I try to get them on "special" or using coupons. The only cheap one I buy is onion powder, at Tops. It's about a buck and serves its purpose.

For others, it's McCormick (regular and gourmet) or Spice Islands. Except for chili powder--that's Gebhardt all the way.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:46 PM

OP, here....
Just wondering if there are any new thoughts on buying spices from a dollar store.

I just read an old (years ago) news story/online item about excess lead levels being found in certain specific spice brands and spices that are sold at deep discount stores.

I don't mind old spices, or spices past their prime. But I'll be darned if I want excess lead in them.
I'm thinking of tossing all my Dollar store spices.

Should I?

I CAN afford McCormick, Pensey's and other places. I was just trying to be cheap getting spices at the dollar store....to mix in with McCormick hoping to streth the McCormick to last longer.

But not if the dollar store spices aren't safe.

Spice Classics is a McCormack brand carried in mainstream supermarkets. About $1.25 for the usual 2 to 3 oz size. Maybe just stick to that?

Or do you have no issue with dollar store spices?

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,935,403 times
After DH’s heart surgery, we were told to cut back on salt. I had used Lawry’s seasoned salt as an all purpose seasoning for years. I searched for a lower salt seasoned salt, and found Spike. I use it still.

Read product labels. Sodium is in everything processed, it seems. Even cream cheese is highly salted.

Penzey’s makes excellent quality herbs, blends and spices, and ingredients are always listed.

Stay away from Ramen noodles, bouillon cubes, most canned soups and chilis. I have found that lower sodium soups taste terrible, frankly. But perhaps you can find something you like. However, it is better to make your own.

Look for labels that say, reduced sodium. But read ingredients on labels. Doing so will be an education.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:13 PM

My issue isn't sodium. I haven't used salted seasonings in decades.

My question is: would you trust the quality of dollar store herbs.
The report was about a brand that had 'excess lead levels" in turmeric. And all the tumeric from the brand was recalled. Then I saw a review (only one person, I know) -- who said the Italian Spices from this brand had lots of "twigs" in it.

So I'm looking for thoughts one whether people feel dollar store spices are safe.....or decent quality.

I have to admit there's a part of me that has a prejudice against spices that cheap? Could the possibly be as good/fresh/safe as McCormick, or Spice Island in the supermarket? But IF they ARE OK then why not get them for a buck.

As I said sometimes I have bought two bottles of McCormick at the supermarket -- and mixed in a jar of dollar store brand.....so IF there is lead, I won't be getting that much right?

Old 08-12-2019, 04:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,935,403 times
Quote:
My issue isn't sodium. I haven't used salted seasonings in decades.

My question is: would you trust the quality of dollar store herbs.
The report was about a brand that had 'excess lead levels" in turmeric. And all the tumeric from the brand was recalled. Then I saw a review (only one person, I know) -- who said the Italian Spices from this brand had lots of "twigs" in it.

So I'm looking for thoughts one whether people feel dollar store spices are safe.....or decent quality.

I have to admit there's a part of me that has a prejudice against spices that cheap? Could the possibly be as good/fresh/safe as McCormick, or Spice Island in the supermarket? But IF they ARE OK then why not get them for a buck.

As I said sometimes I have bought two bottles of McCormick at the supermarket -- and mixed in a jar of dollar store brand.....so IF there is lead, I won't be getting that much right?
No, I would not trust dollar store herbs. But I don’t think McCormick stuff is high quality. I do trust Penzeys. And I’ve bought things from the bulk spices at WINCO, and from Whole Foods. But the dollar store? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink