U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2018, 11:07 AM
 
6,876 posts, read 7,276,074 times
Reputation: 9785

Advertisements

Is this what I get for trying to go cheap?.....

I'm not suppose to have added salt/sodium, and never thought they'd be in a "spice."

Some SWAD (supposedly product of India) spices -- 7 oz for 1.99 -- I bought at an Indian store had this listed on the labels....some of these are not just "tase amounts"

-- Garam Masala -- 192 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (No garam Masala ingredient list I saw online had "salt" in it. THIS ONE does. And "sodium sulfate"
-- Madras Curry -- 415 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (also lists "salt" as an ingredient)
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving

So I may be going back to more expensive spices. Not that McCormak needs any more of my money, but they do say they have quality controls in place. And source from the best suppliers.

I haven't used Penzey's yet, but they're on my list to check out.

So is this just my lesson learned about cheap spices...or cheap spices are OK.
I have bought cheap spices like Spice Time an Spice Classics before at the dollar store and Walmart -- dill, parsley, cinnamon, Italian seasonings, thyme etc .... -- and never noticed this "sodium issue."

Maybe it just depends on what you buy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2018, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
Reputation: 30347
To be honest, I've never checked spice salt content.

But, if there's a way to cut corners a cheap spice co. would likely do so...say add more salt and decrease amt. of spice for flavoring. I've felt the spices I did buy at a lesser cost were rather stale tasting.

In this case, likely you get what you pay for....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 01:13 PM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,544 posts, read 2,385,061 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is this what I get for trying to go cheap?.....

I'm not suppose to have added salt/sodium, and never thought they'd be in a "spice."

Some SWAD (supposedly product of India) spices -- 7 oz for 1.99 -- I bought at an Indian store had this listed on the labels....some of these are not just "tase amounts"

-- Garam Masala -- 192 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (No garam Masala ingredient list I saw online had "salt" in it. THIS ONE does. And "sodium sulfate"
-- Madras Curry -- 415 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (also lists "salt" as an ingredient)
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving

So I may be going back to more expensive spices. Not that McCormak needs any more of my money, but they do say they have quality controls in place. And source from the best suppliers.

I haven't used Penzey's yet, but they're on my list to check out.

So is this just my lesson learned about cheap spices...or cheap spices are OK.
I have bought cheap spices like Spice Time an Spice Classics before at the dollar store and Walmart -- dill, parsley, cinnamon, Italian seasonings, thyme etc .... -- and never noticed this "sodium issue."

Maybe it just depends on what you buy....
Unless it's a spice blend and would normally call for salt, i.e. Steak Spice, it should not contain salt period.

That being said, Garam Masala should not contain salt, neither should Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, not sure about Madras Curry but I've made curries before and they don't call for salt. Some of the spices may contain a small amount of sodium but salt should not be one of the ingredients.

So I would find another source.

I rarely buy spice blends , prefer to make them myself. I also grind my own Cumin and Coriander from seed. Turmeric, I buy from an Indian grocery and it contains nothing except Turmeric. I also buy some spices online in bulk.

Here's a recipe for Garam Masala and I see no salt. It should be pretty close to authenic.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14...-garam-masala/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM
 
13,225 posts, read 17,771,271 times
Reputation: 19889
I was a Pencey's customer for many years. Not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Reputation: 24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I was a Pencey's customer for many years. Not anymore.




I assume you dumped them because of the political spamming from the owner of your email address?


(it has nothing to do with his opinions - it's a matter of principle.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 03:07 PM
 
38,133 posts, read 14,902,572 times
Reputation: 24575
I get spices at ethnic grocery stores. They are cheap. Single ingredient.

Usually packaged in clear plastic rather than bottles.

Grocery stores that cater in customers from India, Mexico, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 03:24 PM
 
1,556 posts, read 1,050,168 times
Reputation: 3624
I've never seen salt in single spices. Looks like you have to read the label. Especially when buying blended spices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
21,856 posts, read 14,364,134 times
Reputation: 30717
Penzeys carries spice blends that do not contain salt.

When we wanted to cut down on salt, I switched from Lawry’s seasoned salt to Spike, which has significantly less salt. But there are multiple no salt blends in most supermarkets.

Or, buy a spice grinder and make your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I get spices at ethnic grocery stores. They are cheap. Single ingredient.

Usually packaged in clear plastic rather than bottles.

Grocery stores that cater in customers from India, Mexico, etc.
I've bought them too at ethnic stores..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,628 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Reputation: 45699
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is this what I get for trying to go cheap?.....

I'm not suppose to have added salt/sodium, and never thought they'd be in a "spice."

Some SWAD (supposedly product of India) spices -- 7 oz for 1.99 -- I bought at an Indian store had this listed on the labels....some of these are not just "tase amounts"

-- Garam Masala -- 192 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (No garam Masala ingredient list I saw online had "salt" in it. THIS ONE does. And "sodium sulfate"
-- Madras Curry -- 415 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving (also lists "salt" as an ingredient)
-- Cumin Powder -- 6 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Coriander Powder -- 2 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving
-- Turmeric -- 4 mg sodium, per .18 oz serving

So I may be going back to more expensive spices. Not that McCormak needs any more of my money, but they do say they have quality controls in place. And source from the best suppliers.

I haven't used Penzey's yet, but they're on my list to check out.

So is this just my lesson learned about cheap spices...or cheap spices are OK.
I have bought cheap spices like Spice Time an Spice Classics before at the dollar store and Walmart -- dill, parsley, cinnamon, Italian seasonings, thyme etc .... -- and never noticed this "sodium issue."

Maybe it just depends on what you buy....

I selected Cumin (randomly) and looked it up, it naturally contains sodium.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top