Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:56 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Burgoo, hot browns, spoonbread, Ale8One, corn pudding.

Heart of the Bluegrass (well, hot browns originated in Louisville, but that's close enough).
Burgoo and spoonbread sound interesting and tasty (LOVE grilled cheese sandwiches)

Hot browns sound delicious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 10:58 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter speaks Mandarin Chinese, and after returning from teaching English in China for a year, she needed a job while she figured out what to do next.

She got a job as a hostess in a Japanese restaurant because she could speak Mandarin to the staff, because most Japanese restaurants are owned by Chinese people, not Japanese people.
Where I live, seems like most Chinese restaurants are run by Vietnamese people.

I just picked up a “weird” Texas food I’ve been craving — spicy jalapeño and sausage kolaches. This is a cross between a real Czech thing and a strong Texas influence. I believe the traditional Czech version always has a fruit filling.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ining-strength

Old 06-13-2018, 11:09 AM

668 posts, read 470,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Chicken and waffles.
Shrimp and grits.
Asian restaurants that serve Chinese, thai, Japanese and Vietnamese food - all on one menu (sadly, they are ubiquitous and universally mediocre.)
Calabash fried shrimp, fish, oysters, etc

I'm pretty sure chicken and waffles are slowly making their way around the country

Old 06-13-2018, 11:19 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Scrapple. Ugh. I can't think of anything else.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:53 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
Well, if I include seafood, slipper, shovel nose and Spanish lobster, Golden crabs and stone crab claws, black, gag, scamp, strawberry and red grouper, hogfish, tilefish, cobia and pompano.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
Wisconsin=Cheese Curds

Old 06-13-2018, 12:16 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
-Pepperpot

Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Tried them once. Just ONCE. I couldn't stand the smell of them and the taste was even worse. blech!

I question whether you have to be raised eating them? yes or no? or is it an "aquired" taste?
I like collard greens, and I wasn't raised on them. Didn't have them until I was an adult. I find nothing tasty about okra.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Butter tarts MMMMM!!! Award Winning Recipe: Award-Winning Butter Tarts Recipe - Genius Kitchen
(I don't like raisins in them. I put 1/2 cup chopped walnuts instead, and I like the filling gooey, not dry, so don't over bake)

Poutine- too fattening
YES. I have no idea why we don't have butter tarts here.

When I first started going up to Ontario last year, I saw signs for butter tarts everywhere and asked the bf what they were. We got some. Oh lord, were they good. When they stopped me on the way back into the US, the border policewoman asked what was in my cooler, and I pulled out my butter tart stash to show her. She laughed and waved me through.

The other thing youse guys have are chip trucks everywhere, and I cannot for the life of me understand why we don't. I am in NJ, in the NYC metro area, and there are halal carts and ice cream trucks and hot dog carts and all sorts of mobile foods, yet there aren't any chip trucks. Hot, homemade french fries available everywhere. It's like heaven, but you need a passport to get any.

Haven't tried poutine. It doesn't tempt me.

I did bring an improvement into Canada, though. You folks have to let up on that KD. We have Cracker Barrel Mac N Cheese now, in several flavors, and it is far superior. I've got the bf addicted and have to bring three or four boxes when I go up.

http://www.crackerbarrelcheese.com/mac-cheese/

Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Well, if I include seafood, slipper, shovel nose and Spanish lobster, Golden crabs and stone crab claws, black, gag, scamp, strawberry and red grouper, hogfish, tilefish, cobia and pompano.
Grouper is good. I like it, but I've only ever seen it on menus in Florida, and I don't go there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink