Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 02:37 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times

Advertisements

Can Dunkin Donuts do good business in health-conscious San Francisco Bay area?

What an odd question. Plenty of donut shops & better bakeries around, already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 03:24 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Dunkin Donuts sells a lot of coffee. One does not have to buy their donuts to keep them in business.

I have lived in the bay area and yes there are more health conscious people than most of the country.

However there are people from all over the world as well as lots of tourists that don't share that mindset. And not every progressive in the bay area fits the stereotype of the folks in say Portlandia. I know that is Oregon but I have also lived in Portland and are a lot of similarties in people in both places.

Remember there are more than 7 million people in the bay area and even if 80% of the people would never touch a donut (which I would doubt) that still gives them 1.4 million potential customers. And I know a lot of health conscious people (including myself) who screw up from time to time.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:45 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,507 times
Absolutely love their food.

Dunkin' Donuts opened up their store in Pasadena last year as just 'Dunkin'', seeing as people unfamiliar with the brand are confusing it with its roots as a Donut shop in Quincy MA. (Not quite Boston, albeit that is where corporate HQ is now). DD is far more than Donuts.

Most people from anywhere else in the country hear Dunkin' Donuts and think -coffee-. Which as others have mentioned here is about preference.

They have a variety of breakfast foods- 80% of which have healthier contents than Starbucks breakfast items. Nearly half the calories and sat. fat. Some vegetarian choices as well. Stuff called DD Smart Start which has a set amount of healthy criteria.

Dunkin' Donuts may have two issues in the Bay.

#1- They are a firm working class agency. While considered a triumphant brand with staunch loyalty- many people in SF would look down at spending less than $6 on a coffee, and see chains as an affront to their avant garde lifestyles. Going to DD is more functional than anything else.

#2 - DDs are Franchised. Which means that a franchise owner needs to crack the numbers to make Bay Area prices work, whereas many owners can earn more opening a store in other regions that are still available.

That said, they began their expansion in Los Angeles a few years back and have done very well. LA certainly has more New Yorkers though who are firm believers in the brand.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:54 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,507 times
Absolutely love their food.

Dunkin' Donuts opened up their store in Pasadena last year as just 'Dunkin'', seeing as people unfamiliar with the brand are confusing it with its roots as a Donut shop in Quincy MA. (Not quite Boston, albeit that is where corporate HQ is now). DD is far more than Donuts.

Most people from anywhere else in the country hear Dunkin' Donuts and think -coffee-. Which as others have mentioned here is about preference.

They have a variety of breakfast foods- 80% of which have healthier contents than Starbucks breakfast items. Nearly half the calories and sat. fat. Some vegetarian choices as well. Stuff called DD Smart Start which has a set amount of healthy criteria.

Dunkin' Donuts may have two issues in the Bay.

#1- They are a firm working class agency. While considered a triumphant brand with staunch loyalty- many people in SF would look down at spending less than $6 on a coffee, and see chains as an affront to their avant garde lifestyles. Going to DD is more functional than anything else.

#2 - DDs are Franchised. Which means that a franchise owner needs to crack the numbers to make Bay Area prices work, whereas many owners can earn more opening a store in other regions that are still available.

That said, they began their expansion in Los Angeles a few years back and have done very well. LA certainly has more New Yorkers though who are firm believers in the brand.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:04 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,398 times
I moved to San Jose from the Austin area previously. One of the things that immediately struck me was the high concentration of donut shops compared to Texas (more specifically the Austin and Dallas metros). I am back in the Dallas area now, specifically the northern suburbs, and the concentration of donut shops in the San Jose area is much higher than where I am at now. I had worked in Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, and San Francisco, and don't recall paying too much attention to donut shops (as I don't typically visit them).

Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,602,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Some people said the health-conscious attitude of SF bay area will undermine potential for a donut shop.
If the donut sellers would simply put up a sign saying these donuts were found in the streets in the tent cities growing there, obviously "deposited" just last night and so still "fresh", among all the other things left by the tent city dwellers....

....then San Franciscans would gladly accept them, just as they accept all the other things in the tent cities, and make no effort to get them out.

Problem solved!

Old 06-16-2018, 09:24 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Some people said the health-conscious attitude of SF bay area will undermine potential for a donut shop. What do you think?

Personally I would eat donuts every day if there were a donut shop close to my house.

D & D sells more than donuts. They will have killer sales in just coffee, especially if they price under star bucks and their other competition.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:29 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,743,943 times
If the donuts aren't selling well enough to keep the lights on, they could always rent out the booths. They'd likely get $1850 a month for a two-seater in downtown.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:16 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
KK had huge growth funded by the IPO/stock gain. It faded fast when the accounting scandal broke the following year. Lots of stores closed in the next few years.

It is hard to pay rent when your product is cheap and limited menu (both in time span popularity and offerings).
Yeah I know they had this huge splash then big fizzle, but some stores are still open to this day so they must be doing ok still.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When I was in San Fran I wouldn't have bought them. Not for the health aspect, but because that area has a lot of really good bakeries with unique offerings and I would eat there.
Places like Dunkin’ Donuts, McDonald’s, etc. are usually more for locals and local working people then for tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink