Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 PM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times

Advertisements

Nope, I'm boring, I grate mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
If you claim to never eat cheese this way I'd have serious doubts you are human.

OK, a fun Velveeta story:

Picture it...summer research field camp in the Aleutian Islands. Living in tents, hauling water on our backs from a creek 1/4 mile away. All groceries and supplies flown out in a 5-seater Cessna once or twice a month from base 300 miles away. Communications with the world were shouted over static-snarled short wave radio. Our office research coordinator was very skilled at sourcing and sending out a decent variety of edibles and occasional surprises (one time ice cream showed up so we immediately dropped everything to sit down and clear out the container....it was melting so we decided to put it out of it's misery). The weather usually had a say in how quickly fresh food actually arrived. Cooking options consisted of a cheapo camping grill balanced on rocks around a pit in the dirt or a propane Coleman camp stove.

Next picture...Once, our expected brick of Tillamook sharp cheddar couldn't be found in town, so the field coordinator sent us a large hunk of Velveeta with Jalapeno pepper instead. We of course turned up our noses at this so it ruminated in the swampy bottom of a camp cooler. The weather had been particularly contrary for the past month. It was either bad on the shipper's end or on our end so the flights kept getting cancelled. Then the plane had a series of mechanical problems.

The kitchen tent shelves were looking bare by now, everything fresh was long gone, but the salmon were running in the creek, so we did have something solid. That Velveeta chunk was still lurking in the cooler. Mind you, those salmon were a long long way from the ocean and were on their last "legs"; garish spawning color, patchy skin, ragged tails, listless and no interest in lures. As our hunger grew we started chasing them into a pool and knocking them on the head with sticks, trimming off the sketchy bits, and roasting them hard on the grill. At least we had an assortment of condiments to mask the taste and texture.

Then a grizzly stepped on the camping grill and chewed it up for good measure. Spawned out salmon tastes even worse boiled by propane. Caribou started migrating through and we watched those steaks on the hoof with more than scientific interest. However, there were no trees large enough to hang the meat out of reach of the local bears, wolves, or wolverines so that didn't seem like a great idea. There were 4 of us...hungry as we were, no one could eat one quarter of a caribou at one sitting. The local ptarmigan that hung around camp were not quite tame enough to grab, but their status as friends was still higher than their rank as protein at that point. Yes, the Velveeta hunk was still marinating in the cooler. We mapped and flagged every duck nest we stumbled on, not willing to steal the eggs until we felt the hen had truly abandoned them. We tried to justify "harvesting" them by blowing the contents out through pin holes and preserving the shells for heavy metal analysis. Sea duck eggs tend to be a little larger than dabbling duck eggs though with somewhat fishy notes. Thank the gods for garlic salt.

Next picture: Down to one last can of tuna, some canned mackerel used to bait predator scent stations, some sketchy-colored Pilot Bread crackers, and the brilliant orange plastic pepper material. You know what they say about hunger being the sauce? We discovered an epicurean delight that day. Melted jalapeno Velveeta dribbled over tuna or mackerel smashed on stale Pilot Bread. We couldn't get enough of it. Wrote down the most successful variations in our field journal and the next time we had radio contact with base actually begged for more.

Once we heard that the plane was actually on approach to camp we decided to voice our opinion with meal service. We'd found a caribou skeleton with intact ribcage, so gathered up the bones, arranged them inside some old raingear and a wool hat, laid an empty soup can in one "hand" and positioned it in the middle of the dirt airstrip. Maybe we were teetering on the edge of malnutrition, but we thought it was a wonderful joke.

The pilot was not amused.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-18-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-18-2018, 01:54 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
I'm lazy and each cheese by the slice, or the pre-shredded stuff. I do on occasion get it by the block (e.g. brie/Camembert). I do shredded because even though I've had roommates who swear shredded cheese that comes from the blocks is the way to go, it's such a huge hassle to clean the grater.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:01 PM

1,183 posts, read 707,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I like to get a block of sharp cheddar cheese (say about 4 oz. at a time, cutting an 8 oz. block in half) and eat it straight. I cut pieces off of the cheese with a knife than eat them. I can't do it with mild cheddar, too bland. Does anyone else do this?
As opposed to what?

Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That is crazy!

I eat cheese the way it is supposed to be eaten, shredded, one shred at a time with a teeny, tiny fork.
Every time I shred cheese for a recipe, everyone in the vicinity starts eating it. Small forks aren't required.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:26 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Every time I shred cheese for a recipe, everyone in the vicinity starts eating it. Small forks aren't required.
LOL! I find that any cheese sitting on a counter disappears before the utensil drawer is opened.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:49 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
I live in Wisconsin. Our houses, furniture, vehicles, pets, roads, and sidewalks are made of cheese.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:50 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I live in Wisconsin. Our houses, furniture, vehicles, pets, roads, and sidewalks are made of cheese.

: Oh, would I love to visit! Might never leave....

Old 06-18-2018, 03:04 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
: Oh, would I love to visit! Might never leave....
Come on over! I lied about the pets being made of cheese, though. It's just me petting my block of cheese and giving it smooches.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I've had the breaded and fried squeaky little bites of cheese curds from Wisconsin - they are sublime.

We're over here in the other cheese state, California, and can relate to everything being made from cheese. Not complaining!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink