U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 03:52 AM

674 posts, read 142,800 times

Advertisements

We have these on our menu for this week with chicken thighs. Its been a while since we made them last and I'm looking forward to having them again. Anyone else make them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 09:36 AM

17,727 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Since I don't know what they are...no.

Explain please...

Old 06-23-2018, 09:40 AM

3,704 posts, read 9,104,556 times
My local tex-Mex restaurant serves them for breakfast and it's my favorite dish to get there. They serve with an egg on top. The sauce is very spicy - I'm not sure I could do them justice at home and I'm a pretty accomplished cook.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:54 AM

10,167 posts, read 16,743,649 times
It’s spicy cheesy comfort food, the kind that uses up stale ingredients. I haven’t tried in a while, because mine were never as good as the ones cooked (for employees only) by the full-time cooks Jaime and Jesus who also worked at my college cafeteria.

They used their homemade thin fiery seedy orangey-red hot sauce and stale leftover tortilla chips we couldn’t sell. The chips had been fresh-fried tortillas at some point, they weren’t Tostitos! They also used the industrial orange-white grated cheese blend that we served instead of the queso fresco they might have used at home.

A lot of recipes online show eggs in this, or fried eggs on top, but we never had it with eggs those hungry, grey San Diego mornings.

I sure wish I’d been paying more attention when they were cooking!

Neither of these have eggs:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chilaquiles/

Mexican Chilaquiles Rojos - The Wanderlust Kitchen

Last edited by Debsi; 06-23-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-23-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Itís spicy cheesy comfort food, the kind that uses up stale ingredients. I havenít tried in a while, because mine were never as good as the ones cooked (for employees only) by the full-time cooks Jaime and Jesus who also worked at my college cafeteria.

They used their homemade thin fiery seedy orangey-red hot sauce and stale leftover tortilla chips we couldnít sell. The chips had been fresh-fried tortillas at some point, they werenít Tostitos! They also used the industrial orange-white cheese blend that we served instead of the queso fresco they might have used at home.

A lot of recipes online show eggs in this, or fried eggs on top, but we never had it with eggs those hungry, grey San Diego mornings.

I sure wish Iíd been paying more attention when they were cooking!

Neither of these have eggs:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chilaquiles/

Mexican Chilaquiles Rojos - The Wanderlust Kitchen

Anything with CHEESE !! Thanks

Old 06-23-2018, 10:25 AM

These are the ingredients we use and add grilled/baked chicken thighs, cut or torn into strips.

1/2 Cup vegetable oil
12 Small or 6 large, stale corn or flour tortillas, cut into 1" strips

4 Medium tomatoes, finely chopped. about 1 pound
1 Small onion, finely chopped
1 Poblano, 2 jalapeno or 4 serrano chiles, stemed, seeded and finely chopped

1 tsp dried epazote or dried oregano (preferrably Mexican)
1-2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4-1/2 Cup water ( making the Chicken Chilaquiles, use chicken stock in place of the water)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Cup grated semi-soft cheese (Monterey Jack, Cotija, Queso Fresco or a combination, about 3oz)
1 Cup Mexican crema or creme fraiche
1/4 Cup Copped cilantro/corriander leaves (optional)
A pinch or 2 of freshly ground cumin.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:52 AM

BTW...which Mexican cheese is used for cheese enchiladas and on top of refried beans? I love it but not sure what it is...?

Old 06-23-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
BTW...which Mexican cheese is used for cheese enchiladas and on top of refried beans? I love it but not sure what it is...?
Cotija. I actually use chihuahua on refried beans as I want a melting cheese for them and I used black bean instead of pinto.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Cotija. I actually use chihuahua on refried beans as I want a melting cheese for them and I used black bean instead of pinto.

I like bb too....where do you buy chihuahua?

Oh I see FL is your state, likely lots of hispanic foods available...

Thanks

Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 AM

10,167 posts, read 16,743,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What color cheese is used on Mexican food in NC?

If it's white, it might be cotija or queso fresco or chihuahua or asadero or even jack cheese.

Not saying it's more "authentic" but the California girl in me still loves a fresh fried taco shell filled with shredded chuck roast, lettuce, tomato, and orange cheese. Have to make my own about once or twice a year here.

We can buy any mexican cheese we want in Texas too. At any Wal-Mart or one of the many Mexican grocery stores near me.

This is a good article on Mexican cheeses:

https://www.epicurious.com/holidays-...heeses-article
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or