Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:24 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times

Advertisements

I actually made some Ghiradelli brownies a few weeks ago and they turned out dry! I couldn't believe it, that is my go-to brand for when I only have 3 minutes to slap a dessert together. I even baked them for 7 minutes LESS than what was required on the box because we have a new oven and that thing cranks. Not sure what went wrong but I'll try them again and make some adjustments.

I usually bake from scratch but when it comes to brownies, I honestly found that the box mixes taste better and have a better consistency. Adding vanilla and leftover coffee is also something I like to do, as they both bring out the flavors of chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:53 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I don't like decadence in my brownies. Give me Martha White brownie mix with an extra egg added any time.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:12 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
I e-mailed Duncan Hines after I tried these brownies to tell them how much I liked them.

Today, I got a couple of Duncan Hines coupons in the mail. One is for a free box and one is 50 cents off.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:15 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Betty Crocker traditional fudge brownie mix. I've never tried Ghiradelli, though.

Omgosh you need to .

I used to like the one with the chocolate syrup packet...until I tried Ghiradelli. Yum.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:17 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I actually made some Ghiradelli brownies a few weeks ago and they turned out dry! I couldn't believe it, that is my go-to brand for when I only have 3 minutes to slap a dessert together. I even baked them for 7 minutes LESS than what was required on the box because we have a new oven and that thing cranks. Not sure what went wrong but I'll try them again and make some adjustments.

I usually bake from scratch but when it comes to brownies, I honestly found that the box mixes taste better and have a better consistency. Adding vanilla and leftover coffee is also something I like to do, as they both bring out the flavors of chocolate.
I like the box mix better also. I do have a recipe that is supposed to taste just like Ghiradelli but I haven't tried it. This is it if anyone wants to try it:

"Brownies...like Ghiradelli

Ā½ c. all-purpose flour
Ā¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1Ā¼ c. sugar
1 stick + 3 tbsp. (11 tbsp.) unsalted butter
2 eggs, cold
⅛ tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. cornstarch
Ā¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Ā½ c. chocolate chips, milk or semi-sweet
Ā¼ c. semi-sweet baking bar, chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 8x8 inch pan with parchment or foil, set aside.
In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and sugar. Heat in the microwave on HIGH for about 1 minute and 15 seconds. Remove, stir, and cool on the counter for 5 minutes, then stir in the vanilla extract and cocoa powder.
In the bowl of a stand mixer add the warm (but not hot) butter/sugar mixture. With mixing speed on low add one egg at a time, mixing just until incorporated.
In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients. Mix until no flour pockets remain. Remove bowl from stand and fold in the chocolate chips and chunks.
Spread the brownie batter evenly into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the brownies are set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30-45 minutes before cutting and serving."

Hmm...I add coffee to my chocolate cakes. I will have to try it with brownies.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post

It definitely sounds like it's your new oven.

Ghirardelli was my "go to" brand before I discovered the Duncan Hines Decadent mixes.

One of the biggest differences is that this Duncan Hines mix had a chewier texture than the Ghirardelli. I can't even remember what Ghirardelli brownies tasted like, because they weren't memorable. I just used to buy them because they won so many taste tests.

BTW, if anyone is going to try it, I used a glass 8 x 8 pan and baked it for the minimum time.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzlouise View Post
I swear by Ghiradelli brownie mix. I buy the one with chocolate chips and then I add toasted walnuts and sprinkle a few more choc chips before putting in the oven.

But to get the absolute best flavor, use coffee instead of water, melted butter instead of oil, and add a pinch of vanilla. Trust me, your brownies will taste wonderful. No one will ever believe they are from a box!

I haven't made brownies in years but we are Ghiardelli fans as well. Your additions/substitutions intrigued me (except for the additional chocolate chips) so I had to buy some brownie mix and I will try that at some point. When it's not 105 degrees outside lol.

Ghiardelli brownies are definitely not "cakey".

Old 06-29-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

I don't like decadence in my brownies. Give me Martha White brownie mix with an extra egg added any time.
To me, the very definition of a brownie is "decadence" and what separates it from cake.

I'm afraid we are going to have to kick you out of the Brownie Club, Cliffie. We can't condone fear of decadence around here.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:03 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Brownies > cake, by a landslide.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I e-mailed Duncan Hines after I tried these brownies to tell them how much I liked them.

Today, I got a couple of Duncan Hines coupons in the mail. One is for a free box and one is 50 cents off.

That's an old school trick. Write a company to tell how much you like their product and they send you a little something in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink