Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:12 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Home made vs mix.

I like the brownie mix, but I also make a really good homemade brownie.

I tried every brownie recipe that came my way for years, many of them really complicated with melted chicolate. The recipe that is a really good one is simple, uses cocoa powder, lots of butter, and a tiny amount of flour.

Bake until the edges start to pull away. The center will be gooey. Let them cool and they turn out chewy with the little flakes crust on top.

Mixes are cocoa powder, you make them with a lot of fat. The mix I like uses 2/3 cup oil, but there is also fat in the dry mix. I can feel it. The high fat, low flour, lack of eggs is what makes them chewy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 10:17 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Not all brownie mixes are good. A local bakery obviously uses a mix because their brownies taste like they were made from a mix. That same cake mix taste that you get from cake mixes. I won't make the mistake of buying from them a second time.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Brownies > cake, by a landslide.

All day.

Not a fan of chocolate cake unless it's very rich and moist and any frosting is not chocolate. Also - not a fan of frosting/icing on brownies.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:44 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I make brownies from scratch. It is not hard. You have control of the ingredients, and you can cut down on the sugar.

I found the Hershey recipe online. I make a couple of adjustments. I make delish brownies. I personally do not desire frosting on mine. But I’ve been thinking about trying a little flaked salt.

Weird sounding, I know, but I’m tempted to try it.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:06 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
My favorite boxed is the Ghirardelli one from Costco with the chocolate chips. Although now I want to try this decadent one that OP is talking about. I also have a good fudgy homemade brownie recipe that makes dark chocolate brownies. My family loves it. I'm also of the no frosting on brownies opinion, and no nuts, but chocolate chips are A-OK!

Old 07-05-2018, 03:35 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I make brownies from scratch. It is not hard. You have control of the ingredients, and you can cut down on the sugar.

I found the Hershey recipe online. I make a couple of adjustments. I make delish brownies. I personally do not desire frosting on mine. But I’ve been thinking about trying a little flaked salt.

I'm not a big fan of frosted brownies either.

Now ice cream and chocolate syrup? That's a whole 'nother thing!

Old 07-07-2018, 01:31 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I didn't find them too sweet, but your idea sounds wonderful!!!
I made these again substituting strong coffee for the water and added 1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract, I like it. I occasionally make a chocolate cake using Guinness, I may try the brownies substituting Guinness for the water, letting the Guinness go flat first so the carbonation doesn't leaven it into being cake like.

I've been cooking a fair amount of time and have a pretty good sense of how to tweak things to be the way I want. I'm relatively new to baking and the brownie mix serves a purpose as it's inexpensive, quick and allows experimentation into how different changes affect the finished product.

And I get to eat my homework!

Old 07-10-2018, 05:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

We should get together and share brownies and our recipes! Brownies and ice cream=to die for. I don't need the chocolate syrup though, but maybe you could convince me.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Yeah, I said the same thing, upthread. The Hershey’s recipe is quick, easy & consistently yields great brownies. A child can do it...mine did. Mixes not necessary.

Did you try the salt idea?

Old 07-10-2018, 08:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Thumbs down to frosted brownies. A garnish of dusted powdered sugar at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink