Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 02:19 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I don't like celery cooked. Every time I get Chicken with cashew nuts they always put a lot of celery which I don't care for. I usually ask for extra carrots and water chestnuts and tell them to leave out the celery. Last night I forgot to tell them to do this but I ate it and it was ok but I felt like the celery was the stronger flavor in the dish. Thoughts? funny thing is I like chopped celery in Tuna salad or raw with salt on it.

Last edited by lubby; 06-26-2018 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 02:22 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Not for me, but I love celery. Sometimes I will have it as a side dish, either a celery salad or sauteed.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:03 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
They put the Celery in to soon

Just like most things, it's how it's cooked not so much as
what's in it

Most any Chicken dish is an example of this, two people
following the exact same recipe will 90% of the time
taste different especially when veggies are incorporated.

just my.02

Old 06-26-2018, 04:12 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I feel differently because I like celery really well cooked, for instance in soup. That mitigates both the taste and the texture. I don't like raw or crunchy celery. So I don't care for it in stir-fry not because it's cooked, but because it isn't cooked enough.

I feel like too often, vegetables in Chinese food are basically raw. The broccoli and carrots seem to have been passed briefly over a flame, and are still hard and crunchy. I guess other people like them that way.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:27 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I feel differently because I like celery really well cooked, for instance in soup. That mitigates both the taste and the texture. I don't like raw or crunchy celery. So I don't care for it in stir-fry not because it's cooked, but because it isn't cooked enough.

I feel like too often, vegetables in Chinese food are basically raw. The broccoli and carrots seem to have been passed briefly over a flame, and are still hard and crunchy. I guess other people like them that way.
I love my crunchy stir-fry vegetables!

When I first moved to Texas and encountered green beans that had been boiled for hours until they were gray I was completely mystified as to how anybody could tolerate such vegetable abuse. I was even more shocked when I discovered that some of my coworkers loved them that way.

Since then, I've made my own country-style green beans that are soft but cooked no more than 40 minutes (with bacon, natch). They are pretty good with corn bread, but I'll always prefer my crunchy veg and DH won't even try them.

As for celery overpowering the Chinese food, I don't think it's the flavor, it's the amount. People expect Chinese food to be cheap, so over the years there is less and less meat and more and more veg. In this area the worse Chinese places load everything down with zucchini. I've learned to find places that charge a few dollars more for the entrees.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:28 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Yes it can overwhelm - needs to be used in moderation.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I don't like celery but you need it for a mirepoix which is essential in things like chicken soup.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I use celery in soups and stews in moderation. But I like organic celery raw in salads or eaten with peanut butter better. I also use it in stir fries. I’ve never considered its flavor to be overpowering.

I have more trouble with cooked carrots! I don’t like too many in soup, for instance.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:19 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
As for celery overpowering the Chinese food, I don't think it's the flavor, it's the amount. People expect Chinese food to be cheap, so over the years there is less and less meat and more and more veg. In this area the worse Chinese places load everything down with zucchini. I've learned to find places that charge a few dollars more for the entrees.
I love vegetables, so I don't mind lots of them in stir-fry, but I think it is just plain weird to be served cooked meat and raw vegetables together in a sauce. When I make stir-fry at home, the vegetables aren't cooked to pieces, but we're not gnawing on raw celery, carrots or broccoli either.

Last edited by saibot; 06-26-2018 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 05:43 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I love vegetables, so I don't mind lots of them in stir-fry, but I think it is just plain weird to be served cooked meat and raw vegetables together in a sauce. When I make stir-fry at home, the vegetables aren't cooked to pieces, but we're not gnawing on raw celery, carrots or broccoli either.
I don't consider the way I serve them to be raw, but I want them to still fight back. Broccoli can certainly be too raw in a stir-fry.

I love vegetables too and use a great deal in my own stir-fries, but the ones from cheap Chinese places around here are not very good, and the variety is lousy (zucchini, carrot, onion in everything), so I prefer to order dishes that are mostly comprised of meat from better restaurants, and then perhaps also a vegetarian entree like Chinese broccoli.

My husband would tell you we eat more vegetables than meat in this house. He'd be complaining a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink