Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:31 AM

16 posts, read 15,015 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell how I would go about finding old-fashioned flour, made from wheat that hasn't been tinkered with?
I'm not "gluten free", but I've read different things that claim we're worse off health-wise with our modern bread, given what they've done to the wheat crop. So, I'd like to find some flour that hasn't been modernized, for lack of a better term.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 11:48 AM

127,937 posts, read 11,801,010 times
maybe look for spelt flour, it is an ancient wheat. I like it, I don't bake, but I do buy it in loaves or flatbreads, when I see it.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:58 AM

14,203 posts, read 11,465,601 times
The first thing to understand is that virtually all food crops have been hybridized. This means that farmers carefully cross-pollinate two different plants in hopes of creating varieties with desirable traits like larger fruits, seedlessness, sweetness, drought resistance, and so forth. Cross-pollination happens in nature all the time; all that farmers are doing is managing it to maintain the best traits and eliminate random and undesirable ones.

The second thing is that hybridization is not the same as GMO (genetically modified organisms), which have had their DNA "tinkered with" in a laboratory by splicing genes from totally unrelated species together. This could not happen in nature.

Third, only a few crops have GMO varieties and wheat is not one of them. So if you have read about dangers of GMO and are worried that wheat has been "contaminated" this way, it hasn't--yet.

I believe what you are looking for is an "heirloom" wheat, which was certainly hybridized at some point, but not recently. The most recent wheat varieties are higher in gluten. Heirloom wheat tends to be lower in gluten. If you are sensitive to gluten, this could make a difference; otherwise, there is nothing wrong with modern wheat.

I suggest that you google "where to buy heirloom wheat flour" to find suppliers.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:29 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
I gave up most grains on my keto diet.. and that includes breads...

there is one robin hood flour brand....some lady mentioned a while back …….try to google it

Old 07-20-2018, 11:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,942,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokki View Post
Can anyone tell how I would go about finding old-fashioned flour, made from wheat that hasn't been tinkered with?
I'm not "gluten free", but I've read different things that claim we're worse off health-wise with our modern bread, given what they've done to the wheat crop. So, I'd like to find some flour that hasn't been modernized, for lack of a better term.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
There are some ancient grains such as spelt and emmer, and you can get them from specialized growers.

Hybridization is an old practice, and I don't know that hybrids have deleterious effects on people. I do not approve of GMO plants, but not because they do harm to those who consume them. I think GMO crops can escape into other plants, and affect diversity of plant genomes.

I recommend doing some more research about this to find out what you think, and to find out where to get the grains you might want to use for cooking. Ancient grains will not be cheap, just so you know.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:41 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,061,077 times
Try Bob's Red Mill.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop.htm...SAAEgJ_HfD_BwE

Old 07-21-2018, 12:20 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,573,498 times
Unbleached? I buy that.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:35 PM

Thanks for your replies. I think "heirloom" wheat flour sounds like what I'm aiming to find.

I didn't know how to correctly verbalize what I wanted Google to find for me.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:20 PM

11,919 posts, read 8,244,234 times
Mmm. Honey wheat bread?

Old 07-22-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Mmm. Honey wheat bread?
Yes! I make a loaf every week. Just the one loaf because I'm the only one in the house who eats whole wheat bread. I use raw, local honey, too, and add some flax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink