Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 PM

5,393 posts, read 3,956,841 times

Advertisements

I ate dinner at a fancy restaurant, bowl of clam chowder with real clams on top. One of them had all black gunky stuff inside. I pointed it out to the waiter, who brought it back to the kitchen and then brought the same bowl back and said it was a dirt clam and offered me a replacement clam, which I declined.

So am I going to get sick? There was no "off" flavor in the chowder, but seeing that put me off the rest of my dinner.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,378,476 times
It says here that you won't get sick as long as the clam was fully cooked. It was the undigested contents of the clam's stomach.

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/what-is...tuff-in-clams/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 09:02 PM

32,756 posts, read 35,956,419 times
No, you won't get sick. I've encountered that quite a few times when I've ordered steamed clams. I just swished them around in the clam broth in the bottom of the bowl.

How was the chowder?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,144,343 times
I think the proper way to prepare is to soak live clams in clean fresh water, that gets them filtering the clean dirtless water and they expel what's in their system, sea salt water and some silt/dirt. Maybe it wasn't soaked long enough or that clam just wasn't sucking in and expelling water for some reason. Maybe it's a sign it wasn't a healthy clam to begin with or a dead/dying one. That's how they eat, filtering water.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:10 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,993,449 times
I love clams use to dig and sell them too..

they live in mud and some in sand.....the grayer shelled clams are from clam flats....more mud consistency and the white shelled clams more in sandy consistency

we would purge them in water before we ate them for a day - salt water ….and they would clean themselves out..

ive also done it with fresh water in the sink.....but like lobsters they can only live in salt water (unless a fresh water clam)

there's no reason a restaurant cannot rinse /wash off these clams prior to cooking ...particularly for what they charge ..

Old 07-14-2018, 07:44 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,058,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I love clams use to dig and sell them too..

they live in mud and some in sand.....the grayer shelled clams are from clam flats....more mud consistency and the white shelled clams more in sandy consistency

we would purge them in water before we ate them for a day - salt water ….and they would clean themselves out..

ive also done it with fresh water in the sink.....but like lobsters they can only live in salt water (unless a fresh water clam)

there's no reason a restaurant cannot rinse /wash off these clams prior to cooking ...particularly for what they charge ..
Not quite euryhaline, but like oysters they can live in brackish water. A lot of folks also purge clams using coarse corn meal as well. I know a commercial clammer that gets them from the Indian River and Banana river here in Florida.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:14 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,424,127 times
As others said you will be fine.
An old trick I learned is before cooking the clams sprinkle them with breadcrumbs, Ritz or something similar. Cover with wet paper towels and place in the fridge for awhile. The clams will eat and then purge, leaving a much cleaner clam. Of course rinse off the clams before cooking.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:05 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,417,493 times
This is why we're supposed to soak them in water for a day before eating, I guess. It gives the clam a chance to empty its bowels.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 AM

764 posts, read 386,204 times
I will NEVER eat a clam again.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:20 AM

5,393 posts, read 3,956,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
I will NEVER eat a clam again.

I may stick to fried clams myself. Well, I didn't get sick although I slept fitfully wondering if I would get sick. This did not look in any way like a clam that was gritty. It looked like someone had removed the clam from the shell and substituted a teaspoon of black river mud. I did not go poking around, there may have been some class of a clam in there.

The chowder was not that good, and I had ordered it because they were supposed to be known for their chowder. It was too salty (and I like salt) and had way too much bacon or pork belly in and on it. That was the main flavor, bacon. I am a clam chowder snob, I believe it only needs onions, potatoes, clams and some cream. The liquid should NOT be thickened with anything that makes it come out like a white sauce. Maybe a little bacon fat to saute the onions in. I normally don't eat it in restaurants where I suspect it comes from a food service company because it is always gloppy.

The more I eat out, the more I appreciate my own home cooking. However, my sister, who is visiting, loves to eat out.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-14-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink