Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,413,129 times

Advertisements

So I want to use this for onion flavor, and to see if it works as a gas reducer in chili. I can't figure out how much I will need.

I will brown 3 lb of hamburger and use 2 cups (uncooked) red kidney beans along with about a quart of various tomato products.

Any idea how much asafoetida to use? I'd hate to use too much because it sure doesn't smell very good. I have a feeling too much might ruin the whole batch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 10:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,513,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
So I want to use this for onion flavor, and to see if it works as a gas reducer in chili. I can't figure out how much I will need.

I will brown 3 lb of hamburger and use 2 cups (uncooked) red kidney beans along with about a quart of various tomato products.

Any idea how much asafoetida to use? I'd hate to use too much because it sure doesn't smell very good. I have a feeling too much might ruin the whole batch.
I'd use only a tiny bit in only one small part of the batch. Cook it by itself and see happens. You can add more if you need it and continue cooking.

I recall an Agatha Christie novel (I believe that it was one of the Tommy and Tuppence series) in which it was used to create a horrid and intolerable odor.

There's a favorable mention of using it for cooking in a Wikipedia article, but the article states that one of its name is devil's dung.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,079,628 times
Tiny pinch. But asafoetida is more like garlic than onion.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:56 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,413,129 times
Good point, HiW. I shouldn't use it the first time in such a huge batch. I'll try just a few cups of some soup or something first.

If I only need a tiny pinch in that huge batch, I guess I only need a few grains in 1/5 that amount?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:30 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,809,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post

A pinch of baking soda reduces gas in beans. So does soaking the beans first then pouring water off and adding new. Beano taken before eating works too. Ask me how I know?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:39 AM

46,744 posts, read 25,661,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'd use only a tiny bit in only one small part of the batch. Cook it by itself and see happens. You can add more if you need it and continue cooking.

I recall an Agatha Christie novel (I believe that it was one of the Tommy and Tuppence series) in which it was used to create a horrid and intolerable odor.

There's a favorable mention of using it for cooking in a Wikipedia article, but the article states that one of its name is devil's dung.

Readers of the Master and Commander novels will recall that Stephen Maturin used asafoetida to make his medicines (some of them mere placebos) particularly disgusting. The sailors were convinced that the worse the flavor, the better the effect.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:57 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,376,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

The British aren't really known for their cooking, at least back then, plus the smell of onions had racial and classist overtones in their culture. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...8.2016.1202008

That being said, I love Agatha Christie, and I have never used asafoetida.

I would love to hear OP's review of how this experiment turns out.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:58 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,376,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
A pinch of baking soda reduces gas in beans. So does soaking the beans first then pouring water off and adding new. Beano taken before eating works too. Ask me how I know?
Another method is the use of epazote herb. I'm not sure how much of that you're supposed to use either though.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:51 PM

6,403 posts, read 7,600,115 times
When I first started using hing in my vegetarian cooking I started with a small amount and them moved on from there. When it hits hot oil, it loses its aroma so don't be afraid to give it a try. Many Hindus use it to replace onion or/and garlic in cooking. It also has medicinal purposes:

Asafoetida (Hing) is used to enhance the taste in foods. It is also a good home remedy that everyone must have it in their kitchen. Asafoetida cures the digestion problem from the stomach. Not only this, it is also effective in improving the immunity. Asafoetida has protein, carbohydrate, fibre, iron, phosphorous, calcium, etc. Asafoetida is effective to treat diseases like influenza, asthma, cold and cough, and digestive problems. Here in this post we will know*how to use asafoetida for gas problem?

How to Use Asafoetida for Gas Problem - Build Healthy Body

Epazote is a common weed that grows along roadsides in the Southwest, often used in Mexican cooking to flavor beans and other dishes. When I make blackbeans I add a few springs to the cooking water and then remove them at the end of cooking.

As with hing, get to know both of them and you will be a happy cook!

Old 07-24-2018, 03:54 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,056,910 times
I've only used it for kitchari (rice and bean dish with grated coconut, no meat or tomatoes) and I would say a grated teaspoon per cup of rice. I happen to like it so I use a lot more, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink