U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have gotten either cod or haddock, never frozen, from Publix that had a worm in it. It was a small brown one that was still moving. Back it went, and it really put me off fresh fish after that.

Oh gross. Now I'm not happy as I love Culver's North Atlantic Cod fillet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 08:37 AM

38,245 posts, read 15,339,527 times
If it is real river trout, then take it. It's hard to find on any menu.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:37 AM

51,312 posts, read 50,576,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Oh gross. Now I'm not happy as I love Culver's North Atlantic Cod fillet.
Eh, I read that years ago, and I still love cod. They were referring to fresh just-caught cod, and that's not available where I live so I eat frozen wild-caught cod. No worms to date.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:42 AM

14,523 posts, read 11,505,888 times
A few years ago my hubby who loves cod haddock. sole etc tried a fish from the supermarket a Cobbler... he said it was lovely and then I read about the polluted rivers they came from. whether this is true I dont know but they went off the supermarket shelves soon after... They are a type of catfish Ive read and cheaper to produce than our fish.. but dont think shops stock them anymore.. anyone tried kippers...

Old 07-26-2018, 08:52 AM
gg

16,969 posts, read 17,200,007 times
Walleye>Trout>Haddock>Cod That is how I see it. Trout is much more tender than cod for sure and more delicate. Haddock has better flavor than Cod, IMHO. Love fish of all kinds.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:26 AM

10,546 posts, read 11,646,107 times
Never had Cod, but fresh trout I catch in the morning, cooked on the grill is really really good.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:44 AM

69,352 posts, read 79,526,740 times
I think we see these claims and studies all the time about healthy fish versus fish from dirty water. The same as what fish is actually raised and processed here in America or Canada.I do try to watch to see where our fish comes from but I am not going to go bonkers over it. There are a lot of what we eat, we really don't have a clue to its origin. A good example: many products claim to be American made or produced. When when all the means is it was assemble here.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:08 PM

369 posts, read 115,668 times
Happy anniversary. We celebrated 47 yrs last night with high end Mexican.
I've been a fisherman and fish eater all my life. Cod has been the staple fish for even those that don't like fish since we landed in this country. Getting very expensive now.
Trout that is not farmed can be Rainbow, Brown, Stealhead, Laker, Cutthroat, Brookie, Splake, and that's not counting land locked salmon.
I've never seen any menu trout other than Rainbow. Even the Rainbow at Cracker Barrel is passable.
A wild Rainbow that has fed on Crawfish is every bit as delectable as Copper river salmon. IMO, leaves cod in the dust. I currently have Rainbows, Browns, Brookies and Donaldson Steelhead in my canyon lake.
Trout or Cod?-img_0007.jpg

Old 07-26-2018, 03:16 PM

326 posts, read 89,030 times
I happen to work for a company with a customer base that includes Trident Seafoods... and we occasionally get fresh cod straight off the boat. These boats are coming from the Bering Sea among other places.

All I can say is... WOW.

The cod is amazing... battered and fried! Yum!

Buttered is also good!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:22 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,700,180 times
"I've never seen any menu trout other than Rainbow"......perhaps you are too far from the coast....

Cynoscion nebulosus, the spotted seatrout, also known as speckled trout, is a common estuarine fish found in the southern United States along coasts of Gulf of Mexico and the coastal Atlantic Ocean from Maryland to Florida. While most of these fish are caught on shallow, grassy flats, spotted seatrout reside in virtually any inshore waters, from the surf of outside islands to far up coastal rivers, where they often come for shelter during cold weather. Contrary to its name, the spotted seatrout is not a member of the trout family (Salmonidae), but of the drum family (Sciaenidae). It is popular for commercial and especially recreational fishing in coastal waters of the southeastern United States. Adults reach 19-32 inches in length and 3-15 pounds in weight.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or