U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:10 PM

7,105 posts, read 2,217,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Myself I would choose rainbow trout,more of a delicacy on a special occasion. It is eaten in a variety of styles. It's just a better flavor for me than most fish ( rainbow trout,perch, trout, halibut have a milder taste)My favorite ways are steamed rainbow trout with baby potatoes,butter and strong whipped horseradish or smoked rainbow trout.

Happy anniversary Lisa

The tastiest trout ever, came from a large lake, a mile high in our mountains. There were large numbers of rainbows, German browns, brook trout, Mackinaw and Kokanee (land-locked sockeye salmon). They had pink meat, very rich and tasty, because they fed on the abundant freshwater shrimp that lived there.

But this fishery has declined to just a small shadow of its former self. The food that the shrimp ate was plankton, numerous small organisms that fed on the effluent that drained from the many outhouses in the campgrounds around the lake. Then the Forest Service stepped in and banned the outhouses, replacing them with chemical toilets that were emptied by tank trucks.

The lack of drainage from the outhouses, caused the plankton to crash, followed by the shrimp and most of the trout. But on reflection, you had to realize what you had been eating by proxy in those trout and what made them so tasty. The food chain of a lot of the fish and shellfish we eat, starts at the same place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 06:11 PM

1,874 posts, read 822,325 times
Trout, but I would take a nice Salmon over either

Old 07-26-2018, 11:07 PM

3,980 posts, read 2,969,746 times
I much prefer the texture of cod.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,586,660 times
I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish.

I would never eat any farmed fish, especially from Asia.

I have seen the "Farms". They are sewers and the fish are fed feces and anti-biotics.

The flesh of Farmed Salmon in the U.S. is grey. It has to be dyed pink or nobody would buy it.

I never buy "Wild Caught" if the Chinese are involved. "Wild Caught" means scooped up by a dredging trawler which strips the ocean floor and destroys the habitat.

If you eat in restaurant or a fish and chip joint you are eating farmed fish.

Luckily we live on the Coast and good fish is always available in season.

Salmon is abundant and reasonably priced.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:25 AM

666 posts, read 142,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

I have seen the "Farms". They are sewers and the fish are fed feces and anti-biotics.

The flesh of Farmed Salmon in the U.S. is grey. It has to be dyed pink or nobody would buy it.

I never buy "Wild Caught" if the Chinese are involved. "Wild Caught" means scooped up by a dredging trawler which strips the ocean floor and destroys the habitat.

I live in south Florida. Restaurants that serve saltwater fish like grouper, hogfish and snapper don't offer farmed fish, they are wild caught. Some restaurants even have their own boats and serve what they catch. I agree with you about purchasing any kind of seafood from Asia and China.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:58 AM

69,322 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

It is easy for you to say, you would never eat farmed raised fish, you live where you get good fish year around. If you lived in the middle of the country where all you can get fresh is Cat fish (yuk) and occasionally trout, you might eat your words (no pin intended) I was raised in So. Ca and also lived in the mid Atlantic for 7 years. I always took fresh fish for granted.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:02 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,695,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is easy for you to say, you would never eat farmed raised fish, you live where you get good fish year around. If you lived in the middle of the country where all you can get fresh is Cat fish (yuk) and occasionally trout, you might eat your words (no pin intended) I was raised in So. Ca and also lived in the mid Atlantic for 7 years. I always took fresh fish for granted.
My husband loves cat fish, I have never had it.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:24 PM

51,301 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I live in south Florida. Restaurants that serve saltwater fish like grouper, hogfish and snapper don't offer farmed fish, they are wild caught. Some restaurants even have their own boats and serve what they catch. I agree with you about purchasing any kind of seafood from Asia and China.
Love grouper. Always got that when my MIL was alive and I went to Florida a couple times a year. It's not seen too often on NJ menus.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:38 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,586,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is easy for you to say, you would never eat farmed raised fish, you live where you get good fish year around. If you lived in the middle of the country where all you can get fresh is Cat fish (yuk) and occasionally trout, you might eat your words...
I never ate my words (sometimes they are bitter and nasty).

I was born in Massachusetts. We always had fresh fish.
Many of my favorites, like Atlantic Cod, have become extinct.
I loved Tautog that I caught in Buzzards Bay on Cape Cod.

Then I spent several years in Oklahoma.
In the area I lived, all I could get or catch were Catfish.
There were many kinds of Catfish.
Blue Cats, Mud Cats, and Channel Cats.

They all tasted like then bottom of the river.
Then I discovered if you soaked them overnight in a solution of salt and vinegar, all that went away and they were delicious.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:55 AM

5,139 posts, read 3,644,743 times
The trout we catch around here is either lake trout, speckled trout, brown trout or rainbow. I don't like any trout because I find them all very strong and fishy tasting.

If I'm buying fish, I like Cod, Halibut and Haddock because they are mild.

For fish we catch around here, you can't beat Walleye. Yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or