U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 10:46 AM

28,271 posts, read 2,204,593 times

Advertisements

I boil my kettle, pour it over tea bags, add sweetener, & leave it on the kitchen counter until it is cool enough to go in the fridge & the next day I have wonderful cold tea. I can't see any logic in putting it outside. Recently I have been using Earl Grey tea bags or a vanilla chai, & we love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:50 AM

1,363 posts, read 655,288 times
The power was out here the other day, so I made my tea in a large glass pitcher with a saucer covering the top of it, placed on the back of my car in full sun for an hour or so. Normally, I use my kettle.

Just put a lid on yours, and you won't get bugs in it.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:55 AM

34,577 posts, read 42,741,316 times
Isnít the point of sun tea that it comes out clear? Or am I confusing that with another method?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:14 PM

174 posts, read 58,613 times
I love the taste of sun tea (yes, I am orig a so cal person). Its more mellow and a bit more tasty than refridgerator tea. Just put a glass container out with distilled water and tea bags (I put extra mint tea bags in too) and cover with saran wrap, then put the twist lid on. Thats what always worked for me. Nothing icky has ever made its way in and I only leave it out for about 4 hrs.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM

17,498 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Good Grief!

Makes me wonder that I haven't fallen over yet. On the other hand, they do say kids eating dirt builds a good immune system.....so they say.

As far as how I have been making it, we-ll....... get the tap water hot, fill up the plastic (I know, I should go to glass or at least a plastic pitcher) bottle, put the tea bags in, put the bottle on the window counter if I am not chasing the sun.

I will note that for the last year and a half, I have been using my well water and not that from the city. I guess I keep about 4 gallons, 8 bottles, of tea and water in the refrigerator so I have a CHILLED supply on hand.

Before I knew that one was suppose to use hot water to make cold tea, I just filled up the bottle with tap water, put the bags in, and put it in the refrigerator.

When Mom was around, she would make sun tea with mint by putting the glass bottles on the shelf out in the kitchen courtyard. At least, that is as much as I saw of the process.

As it is when I am drinking tea, I quaff a lot of it. If I am dining out, that is what I drink. I guess the appeal to me covers a few fronts. It is an alcohol thirst killer, buying tea is CHEAP! at places like Big Lots, and I am forever searching for things that I can identify with for stability (it's a graveyard shift worker, living alone out in the country thing).

At home, when it is CHILLED, I can easily consume a half gallon bottle of water or tea in a few passes but I have learned a lesson or two.

Once I was doing that, the CHILLED was so wonderful that I just kept going and going....and froze my windpipe. I had to do the Heimlich on myself to open up again.
LOL....I love tea as well....drink lots of it in summer, nothing else added except ice.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:49 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,688,588 times
I just add tea bags to a pitcher filled with cold water and leave it in the fridge. My husband drinks it plain. Sometimes I'll add sugar and lemon for those who like it that way. I have made sun brewed tea and my husband said the taste is different than refrigerator tea.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:36 PM

8,162 posts, read 7,472,580 times
You should never boil your hot water. It makes the tea bitter.

You don't even need hot water. Warm water will do.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:32 PM

8,873 posts, read 4,832,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You should never boil your hot water. It makes the tea bitter.

You don't even need hot water. Warm water will do.

I never have yet.......because I am using plastic bottles (probably shouldn't but...). I'm afraid if I did boil the water for tea, I would have messy melted disaster on the counter.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:38 PM

10,143 posts, read 16,726,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I never have yet.......because I am using plastic bottles (probably shouldn't but...). I'm afraid if I did boil the water for tea, I would have messy melted disaster on the counter.
It wouldn't melt the plastic, but I don't like to do hot liquid in plastic either.

I disagree about not boiling the water. The ideal extraction temperature is a little lower than boiling though, so one can wait a little and let it cool down before pouring. I use my 4 cup pyrex glass measuring cup to steep the tea, then add the 4 cups hot tea and the 4 cups cold water to my plastic pitcher at the same time.

Tea extraction chart: https://lifehacker.com/this-time-and...erf-1447451469

Last edited by Debsi; 07-25-2018 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 04:51 PM

8,873 posts, read 4,832,699 times
There is plastic and there is plastic. I reuse my half gallon juice bottles which I probably shouldn't for they, TPTB that say they know, say that they aren't designed for more than one use. They get used for just tea and water. I am wary, on the other hand, about glass as I tend to break a lot of it and even then, manage not to get it all then into the dust pan. The other week, a sliver from a crash of months previous found its way into my foot and I walked around with one leg in demi point until I could find a first aid kit.

One thing I have learned from this thread is that I may not be using enough tea bags. I have used 2 tea bags per half gallon. For black and the heavier flavored HEB teas, that seems enough, but for the Greens, either HEB or Big Lots, well no wonder it seemed so weak.

I'll try using my pyrex as an intermediate step in boiling and see how that goes. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or