U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:04 AM

14,320 posts, read 17,531,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most kitchen gadgets are 'useless crap,' says Alton Brown. Here's what you really need:

Alton Brown on the
Interesting article - but I think the toys in my kitchen are FUN. I enjoy my instant pot (and didnt already have a pressure cooker). I have my 20+year old set of All-Clad pans (and a few cheap non sticks). He doesn't even mention cast iron pans! Yes, my sous vide isn't "needed" but it's fun. And I like and use Alexa, Smart Lights and a Nest Thermostat. (AND I'm 6 years older than him!)

I'm glad his show is coming back. I sadly stopped watching the Food Network when it became the Game Shows with Food Network. I'll have to DVR him. But does anybody know what he's talking about when he says this about his future shows? "We’re doing a huge amount of compositing, green screen work. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 08:29 AM

1,146 posts, read 520,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I'm glad his show is coming back. I sadly stopped watching the Food Network when it became the Game Shows with Food Network. I'll have to DVR him. But does anybody know what he's talking about when he says this about his future shows? "We’re doing a huge amount of compositing, green screen work. "
Those are special effects terms. Green screen (also knows as chroma key) is how they out a background behind the people without having to go to the background location, is you can show yourself in front of Notre Dame in Paris from the comfort of your own home studio. Green screen is how the weather person on the news displays the maps. Compositing is combining various images to present one image that looks like everything was together, and includes the use of green screens. More info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositing

Old 07-28-2018, 08:43 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Interesting article - but I think the toys in my kitchen are FUN. I enjoy my instant pot (and didnt already have a pressure cooker). I have my 20+year old set of All-Clad pans (and a few cheap non sticks). He doesn't even mention cast iron pans! Yes, my sous vide isn't "needed" but it's fun. And I like and use Alexa, Smart Lights and a Nest Thermostat. (AND I'm 6 years older than him!)

totally agree about the food network. I do still watch future stars and worse cooks, but otherwise rarely if ever turn it on. That is sad as we (both spoiled brat and me) were almost addicted to the network until about 3 years ago. Most of our friends feel the same. I guess they think they can continue with chopped and chopped kids and keep the network going. My guess is nope!! The same with HGTV: Bring back more House hunters type of shows and we will return to watching. How many times do we want to watch Love it or list it, fight over who can get them the best deal?

Old 07-28-2018, 09:05 AM

674 posts, read 142,800 times
Also agree that Food Network has become Food Contest Network. I hate all versions of Chopped. I wish they would bring back David Rosengarten and offer Rick Bayless a show. I miss the "Two Hot Tamales", Susan and Mary Sue. Gotta love the fact that the two hosts of "Next Food Network Star" didn't have to go through any sort of competition to get shows.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:11 AM

17,727 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have a small KitchenAid food processor, the one that sells for about $100. I'm cooking for four, so I could use a bigger one. Otherwise, it does everything I need it to do. I never used to bother getting out the food processor to chop veggies or grate cheese, but I've got arthritis in my hands now and it's nice to let the machine do the work.

I'll be using the food processor and mixer more now too, since my hands don't work like they used to...
thank goodness for gadgets that aid you in the kitchen.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:21 AM

11,073 posts, read 11,478,495 times
I know what you mean. My wife and I have a 50 year old Cuisinart that is a truck. We also have a Kitchen Aid mixer of the same vintage, with just about every attachment you can imagine. When we remodeled the kitchen, we were sure to build storage space for both. We do a lot of canning and preserving, and sometimes there is no substitute for high horsepower appliances.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:00 AM

17,727 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I know what you mean. My wife and I have a 50 year old Cuisinart that is a truck. We also have a Kitchen Aid mixer of the same vintage, with just about every attachment you can imagine. When we remodeled the kitchen, we were sure to build storage space for both. We do a lot of canning and preserving, and sometimes there is no substitute for high horsepower appliances.
Good for you...space is the only issue with lg processors and mixers...my mixer just stays on the counter, so dang heavy to move anywhere else...

Old 07-28-2018, 11:45 AM

4,218 posts, read 7,858,088 times
Quote:
I enjoy my instant pot
Yes.

Quote:
And I like and use Alexa, Smart Lights and a Nest Thermostat.
No. All of them can be eavesdropping, videorecording devices for a determined hacker. Less reliance on IoT is better.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:21 PM

11,735 posts, read 16,473,515 times
Thank you to those who shared some of their own experience with specific equipment.

My kitchen is not cluttered - coffee maker and air fryer/toaster oven. My other gadget was the food processor and is a KitchenAid.

I used to be an avid Alton Brown watcher. Was. If he thinks a 400$ knife is not different from a 25$ knife and thus a useless gadget - so be it. He is not using what he is preaching.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:34 PM

11,735 posts, read 16,473,515 times
Update - SO fixed the operator error. I will nevertheless get a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or