U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 02:07 PM

69,387 posts, read 79,598,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'll be using the food processor and mixer more now too, since my hands don't work like they used to...
thank goodness for gadgets that aid you in the kitchen.
Hands and body not working quite the way they did 10 or 20 years ago is one reason I depend so much on my kitchen machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 03:45 PM

17,181 posts, read 22,217,451 times
I just bought an instant pot (pressure cooker) off ebay for 45 dollars free shipping......cooked some pork butt spare ribs in 25 minutes....like pulled pork...

I bought an air fryer a month ago love it...easy clean up like the instant pot...

I like my slow cooker too...… I have a dehydrator on the counter for beef jerky... and a small electric grinder for burger and sausage...

and ive got gadgets galore..... from meat tenderizers...to knife sharpeners...

kitchen gadgets galore.....good name for a store

Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,512,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most kitchen gadgets are 'useless crap,' says Alton Brown. Here's what you really need:

Alton Brown on the
Except he himself has and uses a food processor...

Old 07-28-2018, 06:19 PM

10,187 posts, read 16,752,987 times
Quote:
Most kitchen gadgets are 'useless crap,' says Alton Brown. Here's what you really need:

Alton Brown on the
I think Alton is kind of a 'do as I say, no as I do' guy when it comes to that. That man loves kitchen gadgets.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:23 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,756,533 times
I love kitchen equipment, I have 3 pressure cookers, two Canners, 4 dehydrators, all sorts of pans, 3 or 4 crockpots, a deep fryer, a large Kenwood mixer, a regular blender, a hand blender a chopper, and two food processors a 11 quart Kenmore and a 7 quart Cuisinart, that replaced my 25 year old model.

As to the Food Network, I like chopped and I love Beat Bobby Flay, I agree the game shows can go.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:32 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,512,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Interesting article - but I think the toys in my kitchen are FUN. I enjoy my instant pot (and didnt already have a pressure cooker). I have my 20+year old set of All-Clad pans (and a few cheap non sticks). He doesn't even mention cast iron pans! Yes, my sous vide isn't "needed" but it's fun. And I like and use Alexa, Smart Lights and a Nest Thermostat. (AND I'm 6 years older than him!)

I'm glad his show is coming back. I sadly stopped watching the Food Network when it became the Game Shows with Food Network. I'll have to DVR him. But does anybody know what he's talking about when he says this about his future shows? "We’re doing a huge amount of compositing, green screen work. "
Just asked my son, (degree in video editing and production) and he said it means they're doing Visual Effects (like CGI in the movies). Alton is "virtually" adding things in that were not already there, people,places,techniques etc or, replacing old things with new.

Think of the new King Kong climbing a building or Transformers movies...

Old 07-29-2018, 04:54 AM

1,953 posts, read 760,299 times
Quote:

Alton Brown on the

Alton Brown can bite me.

You know what is in my Kitchen that I don't need? THE STOVE.

I cook for one these days, and I have a tendency to forget I'm cooking at all. After the third time I burned up a pan, and the third time I burned something in the oven, I unplugged it.

Here are the tools I use:

Air Fryer. Does everything I needed the oven to do, and safely since it auto shuts off. Way more economical when I'm heating up a couple of egg rolls, making fried potatoes, or heating up a frozen dosa etc etc etc. I especially like baking an apple in it (Well I core the apple and cut it in wedges). Everything I NEEDED to do in the oven, is quicker, easier, and more economical to do in the Air Fryer. Well there is just one thing I still need to do in the oven - making birdie bread for my birds. Which I do once a year and then freeze for them.

Induction plate. More auto shut off magic, and it heats most stuff up faster than the microwave. Especially water for tea. The other day I didn't get the lid on tight, the whistle didn't work, it boiled dry - and the induction plate automatically shut off. You can also set a timer on it that will also shut it off automatically.

Instant Pot. I can even make yogurt in it. I should be able to make dosa batter in it as well though I've not tried that yet.

My Micom Zojirushi rice cooker. At first, having turned up with Type 2 diabetes mere weeks after having bought it, I thought it would be wasted. Nope. I can cook 3/8 cup of rice (dry) in it perfectly, and that is exactly the amount that is safe for my to have for a meal. Although I can't have legumes (dals) with rice any more there are lots of other stir fries and curries I CAN still have. And no guessing about how many carbs there are in COOKED rice vs dry rice. I can measure out the dry rice, make exactly one serving, and know I've not gone over.

I do still have my Zojirushi bread machine but mostly only use it to knead flat bread dough.

I gave my Ankarsrum mixer to my DIL, but I still have my Bosch. I have an "original" Cuisinart but hardly every use it - its too hard to clean and I hate the "safety" tube that means you have to cut stuff up before you can feed it in there. Instead I get a lot of use out of my Swissmar/Borner V-slicer. I've got every insert for it that I know of. Great for hash browns, and I can slice an onion on it in less time than it takes me to peel it. I really don't have any use for the Cuisinart any more, the only thing I used it for was making Buckeyes (peanut butter candy) once a year for the holidays, and, being diabetic, I don't do that any more.

I have a mini food processor that I use to moosh up (cooked) hamburger for tacos.

I have a wet/dry grinder I use for making salsa and chutneys.

And I have a coffee grinder for grinding spices.

I do have a toaster.

VITAMIX. I use it to grind dal for dosa batter, to make veggie slurry for the birdie bread, and for lots and lots and lots of other things. I'd like to see Alton grinding up rice and dal for dosa batter by hand, yes indeedy, I would.

And that's my kitchen.

Last edited by Pyewackette; 07-29-2018 at 06:00 AM..

Old 07-29-2018, 06:35 AM

69,387 posts, read 79,598,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I just bought an instant pot (pressure cooker) off ebay for 45 dollars free shipping......cooked some pork butt spare ribs in 25 minutes....like pulled pork...

I bought an air fryer a month ago love it...easy clean up like the instant pot...

I like my slow cooker too...… I have a dehydrator on the counter for beef jerky... and a small electric grinder for burger and sausage...

and ive got gadgets galore..... from meat tenderizers...to knife sharpeners...

kitchen gadgets galore.....good name for a store
I actually did something in the Air fryer I won't do again, last night. Ours is a little on the small side and I tried 2 decent sized pork chops. I did turn them, cooked them even longer than called for and one was just t not quite cooked enough. Otherwise I love mine. Like you said, easy to clean, cooks most everything perfectly and of course less fat. In fact almost no fat.

Next on my list is smokeless grill. Our weather here can be unpredictable and not the best for outdoor cooking all the time. We do not have a nice covered area, to keep spoiled brat from getting to cold or too hot. We do have our griddler but it is almost 2 heavy for me to lift. The smokeless grills are lighter in weight. This will work fine for cold winter nights or when the days are so hot spoiled brat doesn't want to stand outside.

I too have about every gadget one can think of, or almost anyway. I do make sure whatever I buy I will use. I research cause I can't afford to be an impulse buyer. Still haven't made up my mind how much I would use an instant pot.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 AM

11,751 posts, read 16,492,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Good for you...space is the only issue with lg processors and mixers...my mixer just stays on the counter, so dang heavy to move anywhere else...
We took the big micro out of the cabinet and put the KitchenAid in. Plenty of space to use it and SO made shelving for all accessories. Micro went up on the next shelf. We hardly ever use it and it is still easily accessible and behind doors.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:28 PM

15,277 posts, read 15,258,066 times
For me, the less the better............cooking-gadgets and silverware. I eat out of what I cook in, that is the most brilliant invention I have come-up with to date!!! Make eggs in my frying-pan, eat them out of the frying-pan. And yes, I am sure this way of eating is causing me cancer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or