U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 04:17 PM

5,333 posts, read 7,671,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I love great mayonnaise. I can hardly wait until this reaches our shores. I already use it on French Fries (usually in fry sauce which is a blend of mayo and tomato ketchup), scrambled eggs, and all of the common foods.

I looked around the related links and found others that really look good. Sour cream and Rhubarb Jam should be winners. I live in huckleberry country so I needn't look far for that. Perhaps I'll make some ice cream with rhubarb at home.
I love great mayonnaise too. I have had some excellent house-made mayo at some of my favorite restaurants.

At home I combine good mayo with some good hot sauce, fresh herbs, or sriracha.

Often when someone tells me they donít like mayonnaise I find out it is because they havenít had a great mayonnaise. Store brand mayos arenít very good, and even some name brand mayos arenít.

I would definitely try mayonnaise ice cream.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 10,152,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I love great mayonnaise too. I have had some excellent house-made mayo at some of my favorite restaurants.

At home I combine good mayo with some good hot sauce, fresh herbs, or sriracha.

Often when someone tells me they donít like mayonnaise I find out it is because they havenít had a great mayonnaise. Store brand mayos arenít very good, and even some name brand mayos arenít.

I would definitely try mayonnaise ice cream.
I've made it myself, had it at restarants and homes where the inmates made it, and tried many, many brands.

The best is Hellman's/Best foods.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:00 PM

6,291 posts, read 3,583,996 times
I love mayo and I love Ice Cream, but never should the two meet in one food.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:54 AM

17,602 posts, read 21,790,175 times
Honestly, I have never heard of it before now. I like ice cream. And I like mayonnaise. Together? I don't think so.

Just what we need - more fat and sugar. I can't imagine that it would taste anything but bland, cold, and fatty.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 7,671,295 times
Quote:
I've made it myself, had it at restarants and homes where the inmates made it, and tried many, many brands.

I use Hellmannís in all my recipes that call for mayonnaise as an ingredient. Once I substituted Kraft mayo when the store was out of Hellmannís and the results were not the same.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 AM

1,404 posts, read 728,553 times
Sounds repulsive, but I know there's an untapped market for mayo-based snacks and desserts, so no surprise from me.

And "the Internet" is a small circle of people concerned with this subject, most people aren't interested.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:01 AM

1,748 posts, read 708,306 times
Quote:

Try making your own with really good olive oil.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:09 PM

3,487 posts, read 5,560,942 times
More unusual than mayonnaise, Eskimo Fish Ice Cream

For 12 years I lived in Bethel, Alaska, 400 miles from the road system, out on the flat tundra in far western Alaska, where tourists seldom tread. The majority of the people in Bethel and the surrounding villages are Yup'ik Eskimos. The Yup'ik have their own recipe for ice cream.

My neighbor, a school teacher, wrote up this recipe. It's not copyrighted, it's OK to pass it on:

HOW TO MAKE ESKIMO FISH ICE CREAM

by Robert Davis

BRING A GUN

First, drop your preconceptions. Fish ice cream is good stuff. Huge tubs of it disappear at every
potlatch, and youíll reveal yourself a true Gasuk (Anglo) if you donít spoon it down as quick as the rest.

Second, you need berries. Exactly what kind is a major controversy in the villages. Iím a cranberry
man, myself. Tartness goes well with fish. But a lot of people will defend blueberry fish ice cream to
the last spoonful. Itís sweeter. I guess I should also mention the few perverse souls who prefer
salmonberries. But theyíre like people who put anchovies on pizzaóyou just canít take them
seriously. Anyway, you need berries. And remember, your choice is a lifetime decision. Itís okay to eat
any flavor of fish ice cream, but if youíre caught making more than one kind youíll lose all social
standing. Traitors are regarded suspiciously by all sides.

Pick your berries in late August, before the frost turns them to mush. You can find cranberries
almost anywhere. They litter the moss under the spruce. Blueberries are scarce. They grow in patches,
which are staked out early by the blueberry fanatics. Cranberry people like to raid these patches at
night, and then bring blueberry pies to the potlatches and watch the blueberry people get stiffed lipped. (I donít believe in enabling, so you anchovy/salmonberry freaks have to find your own
berries). Oh, when you go to pick your berries, bring a gun; bears like berries, too.

The next ingredient is fish. By general agreement, whitefish is the best. They run in September, just
before the river freezes. In an afternoon or two, you can catch enough fish for ice cream and to feed
your dogs through the winter. In a pinch, itís okay to use pike, but people will think youíre cheap. Never, under any circumstances, use salmon. Thatís gross! Oh, and when you go fishing bring a gun;
bears like fish, too.

The last two ingredients are sugar and Crisco. If youíre Midas, you can walk down to the store and
buy what you need. But if youíre trying to live on a teacherís salary, order it from a catalog and
have it mailed in. Order early though, especially in the winteróplanes donít fly when itís fifty below.
Oh, when you pick your order up at the post office bring a gun; village store owners hate people who
buy their food out of catalogs.

Now, youíre ready to begin. The exact amount of fish is up to personal taste. But remember, youíll be
called stingy if you bring less than 10 gallons of ice cream to a potlatch. Youíll need at least four or
five big whitefish. Cut the fish into fist size chunks, cover them with water and boil until the meat
begins to separate. Take the pan off the stove and let it cool. Wrap the fish in a cloth, preferably
clean, and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Drink the juice while itís still lukewarm. Dump the squeezed
fish into a big container. Then add equal measures of sugar and Crisco. Mix well. It should be the
consistency of stringy putty. Mix in a gallon or two of berries and chill. Serve. Be sure to leave room
for ďrotten fishĒóa locally produced popsicle of raw, fermented grayling or trout, frozen and dipped
in seal oil.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:19 PM

15,689 posts, read 8,782,580 times
Oh my. Shall we add this one to the great pea guacamole controversy of 2015?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:16 PM

7,873 posts, read 10,166,828 times
Oh no! I'm not a fan of trends anyways. I'll take vanilla or chocolate chip and be okay w/ that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or