U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:38 PM

10,121 posts, read 16,716,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am not arguing that Michigan's coney dog is served the way a NY hot dog is, but it is interesting that the business model of serving a frankfurter on a bun in New York on Coney Island was witnessed by Greek Macedonian immigrants passing through Ellis Island, who then settled in Michigan and suddenly Michigan has a frankfurter, on a bun, (with the addition of a meat sauce) and mysteriously called "Coney Island" hot dogs.

To say, and I quote, "which has absolutely nothing to do with New York, thank you very much" is plainly false.

That would be like a pizzeria in New York saying that pizza has 'absolutely nothing to do with Italy, thank you very much'.
Well it would perhaps have made more sense for the article to say "New York in name only."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
88. Brisket
Year: 2009
Restaurant: Franklin Barbecue
Austin, Texas

----
2009? I think Brisket had been around much earlier than that in Texas BBQ.
Yeah, I think the choices got weirder/weaker as the years got closer to current day. They should have stopped with the 80's perhaps?

This is an interesting read about the history of brisket in Texas. https://www.foodandwine.com/meat-pou...istory-brisket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 04:44 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Yeah, I think the choices got weirder/weaker as the years got closer to current day. They should have stopped with the 80's perhaps?
That would've made more sense. Some items I don't recognize yet as having historical impact. Others I would switch out for earlier exemplars. Like the Doritos Locos Taco (2012) from Taco Bell at #97. If you're looking for "the stunt [fast] food" for the ages, McDonalds' McRib sandwich takes the category.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:42 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
88. Brisket
Year: 2009
Restaurant: Franklin Barbecue
Austin, Texas

----
2009? I think Brisket had been around much earlier than that in Texas BBQ.
as thinking the same thing, but maybe the article is referring to the recipe and how it is cooked. We were cooking brisket when I was a kid and certainly smoking it in Texas way before 2000. In fact we moved from Texas in 2001.

The same with the braised short ribs. As a kid my dad would braise them; I have been doing them that was for 40 plus years.

I really had fun reading the article but think some of it was a bit just the authors imagination. Lots of the references given or the starting of a particular recipe was pretty much how many have been preparing these dishes or eating them in a restaurant for many years.

Still a fun read with many examples not being familiar to most of us I am guessing

Old 08-01-2018, 07:10 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is interesting. I have never seen an avocado tree.

They just weren't a food we were familiar with here on the east coast when I was growing up. Of course now everything is available everywhere. I first had avocado toast (a bagel actually) last year when my boss got a bagel with avocado and tomato on it then asked me if I wanted it because he had to go to a meeting at another location. It was good! Having it on the bread/toast counteracts the mushiness.
I don't think they were sold in the region until at least the 1980s. That's the Mid-Atlantic, folks. I first ate avocado around that time, but don't remember exactly when. It was on a sandwich from a high end vegetarian restaurant.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 PM

33,564 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Another great website (not sure if I posted it already):
The Food Timeline--USA food history sources

Want know more? Go here:
http://www.foodtimeline.org

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaqindex.html

WARNING!!
This is so interesting, you might spend weeks reading all the links and clickable words.

Last edited by elnina; 08-01-2018 at 09:11 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 03:07 AM

659 posts, read 139,759 times
I always thought that immigrants were the ones that changed American food culture. I have my doubts that much of that info is accurate. For example, Joe's Stone Crab did not create the key lime pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink