U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 AM

561 posts, read 308,134 times

Advertisements

I asked my dog about this, and with a sigh she patiently explained that this behavior was stealing from the dog, a very good dog, her share of the gravy.
She doesn't speak English but communicated it clearly with her eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 10:23 AM

7,104 posts, read 3,800,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Licking a plate seems to me to be too 'dog like' and gross, but I will drink the leftover milk in the cereal bowl. Two different actions - no licking required when you just tip the bowl and drink from it like a glass.
But your mouth parts are coming in contact with the dishware when you tip the bowl and drink the milk. Isn't that what's so objectionable about licking a plate clean? They seem to me to be the same action with the same purpose, one involving drinking a liquid and the other involving eating a food (both left over when the utensils no longer serve). Is it that lips are somehow more acceptable than tongues? Again, we're talking about when alone or with your significant other who's already seen everything -- not in public -- so no one will be scandalized by the sight of your exposed tongue.

I'm really baffled.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:48 AM

5,522 posts, read 3,375,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But your mouth parts are coming in contact with the dishware when you tip the bowl and drink the milk. Isn't that what's so objectionable about licking a plate clean? They seem to me to be the same action with the same purpose, one involving drinking a liquid and the other involving eating a food (both left over when the utensils no longer serve). Is it that lips are somehow more acceptable than tongues? Again, we're talking about when alone or with your significant other who's already seen everything -- not in public -- so no one will be scandalized by the sight of your exposed tongue.

I'm really baffled.
People lick ice cream cones and candy sticks, so it can't be that using the tongue in itself is unacceptable. Honestly, I think that some people tend to "compartmentalize" certain behaviors and become rigid about them. Some things are for people, others are for animals. Dogs and cats lick their bowls, so people can't lick dishes.

Another example would be the way so many people are disgusted and horrified by seeing a harness and leash on a toddler--even though in some circumstances, this may be the best way for the parents to handle that particular child. But no, harnesses are for dogs. Only.

You could also say that having learned "basic table manners," people feel bound by them even in solitude. I personally will pick up many food items in my fingers in privacy, or drink soup out of a bowl, even though I would certainly use a utensil if anyone else was around. But many people just wouldn't feel right doing that, even if no one is watching.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:48 AM

3,431 posts, read 2,137,457 times
Never done either even when I'm alone.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:02 AM

191 posts, read 35,575 times
I always drink the cereal milk because A) it's really good, and B) like somebody mentioned it would be wasteful not to. I would not do this out in public though, but then again I wouldn't eat cereal out in public. If I'm eating out, it won't be cereal.

I would never ever like a plate out in public, but I have been known to do that on occasion with some really, really good dishes. One in particular comes to mind. It's a John Besh (yes I know but he's a good chef) recipe with homemade gnocchi, fresh crab, a rich delicious pan sauce using cream, butter, seafood stock, etc, with shaved truffles over the top. I'll admit I licked every single bit of that sauce off the plate both times I have made it. For this dish, I would probably sneakily use my finger to scrape up the sauce and lick it out in public though.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
People lick ice cream cones and candy sticks, so it can't be that using the tongue in itself is unacceptable. Honestly, I think that some people tend to "compartmentalize" certain behaviors and become rigid about them. Some things are for people, others are for animals. Dogs and cats lick their bowls, so people can't lick dishes.

Another example would be the way so many people are disgusted and horrified by seeing a harness and leash on a toddler--even though in some circumstances, this may be the best way for the parents to handle that particular child. But no, harnesses are for dogs. Only.

You could also say that having learned "basic table manners," people feel bound by them even in solitude. I personally will pick up many food items in my fingers in privacy, or drink soup out of a bowl, even though I would certainly use a utensil if anyone else was around. But many people just wouldn't feel right doing that, even if no one is watching.
I think you've hit upon something there (the human/animal dichotomy). Personally, I believe animals are BETTER than people, so... I'm not proud.

Maybe this belonged in the "Psychology" forum. It's so hard to know where to post threads on City-Data!

Old 08-02-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
I always drink the cereal milk because A) it's really good, and B) like somebody mentioned it would be wasteful not to. I would not do this out in public though, but then again I wouldn't eat cereal out in public. If I'm eating out, it won't be cereal.

I would never ever like a plate out in public, but I have been known to do that on occasion with some really, really good dishes. One in particular comes to mind. It's a John Besh (yes I know but he's a good chef) recipe with homemade gnocchi, fresh crab, a rich delicious pan sauce using cream, butter, seafood stock, etc, with shaved truffles over the top. I'll admit I licked every single bit of that sauce off the plate both times I have made it. For this dish, I would probably sneakily use my finger to scrape up the sauce and lick it out in public though.
But one's finger is less likely to be completely clean and sterile, in a sense, than one's tongue; that is, you're more likely to have contaminated it in the course of eating (transferring the plate, handling the utensils, changing channels with the remote control, texting on your phone, etc.), so actually the tongue would be preferable here.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:13 PM

5,522 posts, read 3,375,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But one's finger is less likely to be completely clean and sterile, in a sense, than one's tongue; that is, you're more likely to have contaminated it in the course of eating (transferring the plate, handling the utensils, changing channels with the remote control, texting on your phone, etc.), so actually the tongue would be preferable here.
I completely agree.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:32 PM

1,761 posts, read 711,864 times
Surprised no one has mentioned the cereal bowls with built-in straws for getting that last bit of milk!! I think they are aimed at the kid market (they are plastic) but it's a good idea.

We had a friend who we would sometimes eat at a buffet with , and he had the weirdest habit. After he was through eating, he would use the back of his fork to meticulously clean the plate of all bits of food, and eat them. And this was at a buffet, mind you, so it couldn't have been hunger. I think it was probably something he was "trained up" to do as a child. And he wondered why he was still single at 40.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:03 PM

569 posts, read 531,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not even as a very small child? I'm surprised as I have been around a lot of preschoolers who seem to do this naturally, if they haven't been taught not to do it.
I'm more grossed out by the people saying they wouldn't do it but they'd let their dogs do it.
I can say for certain I never licked a plate as a child or adult. I just wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink