U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 11:59 PM

6,291 posts, read 3,585,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I do like it better. It does in an hour or less what would take the crock pot 12 hours, which means I don't have to smell food cooking for as long, and it's better at preserving texture and flavor. It is possible to destroy veggies in it, but once you get past the learning curve, it's pretty good.

I love the smell! It's one of my favorite parts of Crock pot cooking~
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 01:53 AM

6,498 posts, read 2,244,151 times
I used to think with a crock pot you throw all the ingredients in and it just starts cooking for hours and after you have a whole meal, but you actually have to do some pre-cooking of meats, but no matter, the aromas are divine and the deliciousness of the meals worth it.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:13 AM

10,866 posts, read 18,937,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I love the smell! It's one of my favorite parts of Crock pot cooking~
I used to, but I've had a lot of stomach issues in recent years and smelling food all day makes me really nauseated now.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:45 AM

15,686 posts, read 9,700,813 times
We have a large crockpot and also an Instant Pot. Both of them have their place. I like to toss food into the crockpot and let it cook all day or all night so it is ready the next day, and we use the Instant Pot when we are in a hurry or want to make something special.

Each one has a unique, distinctive flavor IMO.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 AM

10,173 posts, read 16,748,016 times
Boiling is a fast cooking method, and crockpots are called slow cookers.

So no.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:11 AM

1,792 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Got it. Thanks, I see the difference. Now I've got to research "Instant Pot" -- is it a pressure cooker?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:17 AM

19,057 posts, read 10,093,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Got it. Thanks, I see the difference. Now I've got to research "Instant Pot" -- is it a pressure cooker?
It's an electric pressure cooker. It also has a slow cooker function but that doesn't work as well as a traditional slow cooker. But the pressure cooking function is awesome. I didn't get rid of my slow cookers because they do come in handy for a couple of things, like keeping food hot on a buffet.

But I rarely use them to cook anymore as I think things cooked in the Instant Pot come out so much better - the flavors of the individual ingredients keep some of their individuality and I also prefer the texture of the food cooked in it. And it's just so quick and easy to use.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:24 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,066,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I do like it better. It does in an hour or less what would take the crock pot 12 hours, which means I don't have to smell food cooking for as long, and it's better at preserving texture and flavor. It is possible to destroy veggies in it, but once you get past the learning curve, it's pretty good.
Okay. You knew this was coming. What are a couple of great PC recipes I could try? I've got one but haven't used it in -- well, can't actually remember.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:37 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,233,907 times
I love my instant pot! I can use it as a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, whatever. And I agree that cooking in a pressure cooker definitely doesn't make the food as mushy and dull looking as cooking for 10 hours in a crock. But the crock is great to have something cook while I'm out and be done as soon as you walk in the door. I've never tried leaving my instant pot on crock setting all day while I'm out.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:42 AM

1,953 posts, read 758,392 times
It IS a boil. Not even a slow boil in the newer crockpots. The original crockpots simmered and were true slow-cookers. Then someone decided the temps were too low and required all crockpots to increase the temp to boiling point. The difference between "lo" and "high" isn't the final temperature, it's how long it takes to get there.

There are directions on the internet for how to add a dimmer switch to a crockpot to make it a true slow cooker again - with temperature feedback so you can set it to cook at a specific temperature. I'll stick with an Instant Pot. That stuff is already all built in = IF you need it, given its faster and easier to cook most anything on the pressure cooker settings anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or