U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 11:00 PM

5,192 posts, read 3,013,296 times

Advertisements

In fast food places I don't get in line until I know what I want. I seldom use a drive through.

Lunching with my girlfriends we usually go after the noon rush. We often have so much to talk about we don't get around to looking at the menu right away. When our waitperson brings the beverages we tell them that we will place our closed menus on the edge of the table when we are ready to order.

That way they don't have to keep returning to the table to check and we don't get interrupted during our conversation.

At a nice place in the evening I've usually checked on the menu at home so will have some idea of what I want before we go.

I like a leisurely meal with good conversation and don't care to feel rushed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:03 PM

13,022 posts, read 12,474,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Whenever possible I check the restaurant's website so I have my order already in mind, or at least an idea. I'm always quick to order.
yep. Me too. I love reading menus, but I usually do it before I ever get into the restaurant. Half the time my friends are asking me for recommendations before we even open the menu in the restaurant.

My two besties generally make me pick the restaurant when we travel. They make fun of me being on my phone a lot when we're traveling, but they seldom complain about the places I select. I only made one bad call on our last trip to Ireland, but they didn't really blame me - as boring as the place was, it was still perfectly acceptable. And we were starving at the time.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:58 AM

714 posts, read 330,663 times
Varies. If it’s a place I’ve been to before, I often know what I want when I sit down, especially if the choices are limited in the “things I eat” category. If it’s not and I haven’t looked at a menu online, it can take longer. Usually, the more people I’m with, the longer it takes.

Fast food places and the like are usually brief on the deciding unless I’ve never been to one of their outposts before.

And there’s really not much reason to debate what you want at a place like Five Guys given how limited their menu is. It’s a burger, dog, or grilled cheese, then Cajun or regular fries, then soda or shake. Not too much of a brain buster there.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 AM

20,369 posts, read 25,519,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
If I've been there more than once or twice, I know what I want going in. As soon as the waiter/waitress gets there, I place the order. We usually only get water to drink, so the drink order is not that complicated. I hate waiting 5 minutes for someone to come and take our drink order, and then wait 5-10 minutes to bring our drinks and take our food order, and then wait 20 more minutes for the food to get there. If it's a new place, I might take 5 minutes to decide.

Same here. I'd rather order it all at once. No need to drag things out, lol.

Fast food I either know what I am going to order beforehand and it is very quick. If I don't know the place I will look at the menu and decide before I get on line.

For a restaurant I will look at the menu online and have an idea of what I want. I do like to try new things so once in awhile I will ask the waitress/waiter what they would recommend. so that may take a little longer.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:49 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
DEPENDS WHO IM WITH AND where we are at a sit down restaurant..

what irks me in a fasr food place....is people that get impatient waiting in line....and then wait til its their turn up front to look at the menu....when its been in plain sight all along..

on the flip side of this question....if its going ro be a much longer wait.....I expect the server to tell us up front...
Good point, On the other hand, I hate it when the wait person asks what would you like to drink and then before you can even take a sip of your drink, they ask "are you ready to order?" and 2 minutes later thay come back again with the same question.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:04 AM

34,671 posts, read 42,807,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Good point, On the other hand, I hate it when the wait person asks what would you like to drink and then before you can even take a sip of your drink, they ask "are you ready to order?" and 2 minutes later thay come back again with the same question.
Pet peeve of mine too. If I’m at a nice restaurant, I want to order a cocktail, peruse themenu and then I will place my order. I don’t want them to bring my entree until I’m finished with the salad. Even when we tell the server we don’t want to be rushed, the timing is frequently too fast. I’m not there to throw food down the old pie hole, I’m there for an experience.

Last edited by gentlearts; 08-05-2018 at 07:21 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 07:08 AM

2,376 posts, read 3,038,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That drives me nuts too but I think they do that because there are those people that get all bent out of shape if the waiter doesn't come take their order in 2 minutes or less.

We typically order drinks and have a couple before we order our entrees. Sometimes it is 15 to 30 minutes before we order. Sometimes we order an appetizer along with our drinks and it is longer before we order entrees.

As for fast food places, I always know what I like at those places before I ever walk through the door. I just walk up and order. That is one of the reasons I don't get why fast food places are always trying to introduce things on their menu that are not what they do. You know, McDonald's trying to do burritos and such. They never sell well so it is sort of pointless and just clutters the menu board.

One thing that irritates the hell out of me with fast food places is when they change their combos around and the numbers change along with cluttering their drive thru board up with the latest thing I do not want. It makes the drive thru menu confusing and time consuming. Taco Bell and Arbys are both bad about do that. That is why I don't go to those very often.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:03 AM

13,463 posts, read 7,165,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
When eating out, how long does it usually take for you to order?

I don't like to take much time and usually if it's somewhere I've been, I am ready to order as soon as I get in the restaurant. Even if it's a new place to me, I don't take much time.

Same with drive thrus. I can't stand people who take ages to order, holding up people behind them.
Maybe if you only ever go to the same place every time and always order the same thing can you order in lightning speed. But if you actually look at the drive thru menu you see it is crowded, usually disorganized, with small print and many options. So yeah, it might take a minute...if you're THAT rushed then it might be faster to actually go inside.

Restaurant menus - these days most restaurants offer dozens of dishes and I hate being rushed. In the "old days" a server would wait until people put their menus down before coming over to take your order - that seemed like an obvious thing to do. Seems like it'd be even easier now because people immediately pick up their phones if there is a spare lull in the activity/conversation!

Old 08-05-2018, 09:38 AM

51,371 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
When eating out, how long does it usually take for you to order?

I don't like to take much time and usually if it's somewhere I've been, I am ready to order as soon as I get in the restaurant. Even if it's a new place to me, I don't take much time.

Same with drive thrus. I can't stand people who take ages to order, holding up people behind them.
I don't go to drive-thrus at all because so many people don't seem to be prepared to order, and then there are so many screwups with the orders that you have to check your bag before you pull away. Might as well go inside.

Then there are the tourists in New York City who wait until it is their turn to order at a deli to START looking at the overhead menus and choose what they want. Stay off the damn line and stop holding up the people behind you who know what they want and need to get their food and go. It's rude and obnoxious to not be ready to order when you get to the head of the line.

In a sit-down restaurant, I sometimes change my mind five times, so it's whatever I'm on when the server gets there.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:47 AM

51,371 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe if you only ever go to the same place every time and always order the same thing can you order in lightning speed. But if you actually look at the drive thru menu you see it is crowded, usually disorganized, with small print and many options. So yeah, it might take a minute...if you're THAT rushed then it might be faster to actually go inside.

Restaurant menus - these days most restaurants offer dozens of dishes and I hate being rushed. In the "old days" a server would wait until people put their menus down before coming over to take your order - that seemed like an obvious thing to do. Seems like it'd be even easier now because people immediately pick up their phones if there is a spare lull in the activity/conversation!
Where my friend lives in the VA suburbs of DC, it's a common practice to leave the menu standing up to indicate that you are ready to order (obviously this won't work if the menu is only one page, lol). It works pretty well. The server can see from elsewhere when you are ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or