U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 09:23 AM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times

Advertisements

Depends on restaurant, but I think that when I am going to a nice place, I want to have a small conversation with the waiter about specials, or something new on the menu, or any recommendations from the chef, see what's interesting on the wine list. That's definitely a part of the enjoyment. Going out to eat shouldn't be done in a hurry.
Regular diners - I do check the menu, look around what others are eating, but don't engage in a small talk with the wait staff. In some places they recite the menu anyway along with making suggestions as what is a chef special for the day.
Generally I don't hassle, complain about orders taking too long, rush the waiter, or visit fast food and big chains where people are fed in 10 minutes or less.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:46 AM

1,953 posts, read 752,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
When you go out to order...It depends... Is it a restaurant like Five guys where if you take long to order, other people are waiting ages behind you? Or is it a resultant like Chilis where you have a waiter and can take your sweet time.

With the former, yes it's annoying. You should know what you want before you even step inside the building. Your kids should also know what they want before they step inside. Holding up the line is insufferable.

I'm very fast with ordering because I always look at the menu online ahead of time. I also hate people who have coupons, complicated orders, complaints, long orders, etc. Jesus Christ. I was at Moe's southwest grill and some idiot had several complicated orders for the whole office, when he should've CALLED it in and ordered it ahead of time. Drive me insane.
You were already there.

If the guy had called it in beforehand, it would have taken the exact same amount of time. Servers are not magically faster taking an order over the phone. In fact, it might even have taken a bit longer, if the server needed to ask the guy ordering to repeat something he didn't quite hear.

Take a chill pill, dude.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:23 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
I can be a bit of a picky eater, and my son is also not too adventurous so I try to check out the menu ahead of time to narrow down the options and make sure there is something each of us is going to like. I usually have a few different things in mind, but often want to ask a few questions as well about specifics.

So usually, I like to place the drink orders and then if they come quickly, I will say that we will need a few minutes to order or I ask my questions and ask for a few minutes to finalize a choice.

I think servers sometimes seem a little pushy/fast paced because they start with that as the default since a lot of people get annoyed if things take too long. But if I'm dining out, I like to have a bit more relaxed pace and most servers are fine with that as long as I communicate that. Unless it's a really crowded place with people waiting and they are trying to turn tables over more quickly, of course.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:36 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Where my friend lives in the VA suburbs of DC, it's a common practice to leave the menu standing up to indicate that you are ready to order (obviously this won't work if the menu is only one page, lol). It works pretty well. The server can see from elsewhere when you are ready.
I like that standing up signal you are ready to order.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:42 PM

4,831 posts, read 2,142,556 times
My family says...she orders the same thing...which is true ! I like to have someone else prepare the food I'm Hungry for. Mashed potatoes go with so many things.

I have done the 'try something new' only to be disappointed and have the food go to waste.
So 4 mins is the avg

My challenge once was ordering from a foreign menu.
I was distraught when out came sewer water with a dandelion floating on top. Folks raved about this soup. I ratched instead. Lesson learned. My taste buds don't follow the emperors new clothes mentality.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 PM

2,797 posts, read 2,511,845 times
It depends on the type of dining establishment.

The few times I go to a 'drive thru' type, I too have found it easier to go inside. It's a contrarian action that often times works to ones advantage, you are much more visible, and the workers are in (usually) plain sight. Chick Fil A being a good example - even though they will often station a employee outside to help expedite orders during peak hours.

Sit down restaurants with servers who take and bring you your order I usually order within a few minutes depending on the busyness of the establishment and the time I have allotted (if business lunch) or if leisure dining with others (or solo).

As someone who worked as server for 18 months while in grad school I have empathy for what servers do and will go out of my way to make it easier for them when I can tell it is a busy time. In my heavy business travel days as mostly a one top solo diner I did everything possible to make it easier to get best service possible.

Discrimination when dining alone!

Old 08-05-2018, 09:15 PM

1,685 posts, read 664,786 times
If Iím familiar with the menu then it takes just a minute to order. If itís a new place, I can usually order within five minutes, but I wonít be rushed either.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:20 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,048,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow!!! I don't like people who take forever, but then I don't do drive thru very often. Still I realize it sometimes takes a few minutes for people to decide. As for us when we are seated, we still want to order our drinks, be it water coffee or wine and study the menu. I don't care if we have been to the restaurant once or 20 times. I don't mean taking 20 minutes, but don't rush me either.
I agree, hate people trying to rush me. Usually we are ready to order by the time the waitstaff has brought the drinks but there have been a couple of times we have taken a wee bit longer.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:10 PM

3,316 posts, read 5,308,408 times
Even if it's a new place I usually won't read over the entire menu...I pretty much choose the first thing I see that is something I will probably like. I don't really mind how long others take to order unless they try to drag me into their decision making...order whatever you friggin WANT.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 AM

19,271 posts, read 20,147,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I am ready BEFORE I get to the ordering-point. Oh man, I have stood behind people at places like Starbucks, 10 minutes for someone to figure-out what they want and place their order.
I will never understand the Starbucks mentality. Stand in line for a cup of coffee? Sit in a line of cars, idling, polluting, while people decide how they want to disguise the legal amphetamines they need?

Sorry, but that behavior is a ridiculous waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or